Kings News: Kings Prospect Brian ONeill wins AHL MVP Award

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Congrats to him.

If I was in his shoes, I'd be heading to Europe or Russia.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Unfortunately wingers in the Kings system have to win board battles (a lot). You need size to do it consistently.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Mr. "Too small for the NHL" had 2 goals today in a Monarch's win in the 1st game of the AHL POs.
I suppose if O'Neill were ever to play in an NHL game, gravity would be reversed, the oceans would fly out into space and freeze,
and hockey could be played in the sky.

But I'm telling you, it would be a good thing.
:nod:

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Johnny Gaudreau probably would be challenged to get a shot with the Kings.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
At his age and size the question(s) is/are

A) What is his staying power? He is going to be 27 year's old this offseason. That is not exactly a spring chicken in the hockey world, or a player you could hang your hat on for long term development. If anything, he is nothing more than a stopgap player for ONE year who they would call up based on loyalty to the organization.

B) Can he play bottom 6? There is no way he is put into a top 6 role with the Kings. Gaborik, Pearson, Toffoli, Brown more than likely have that section locked down for next season, and if O'Neill isn't capable of playing crash and bang on the bottom lines then he has no place. It isn't a knock against his skill level or character, but he just may not be built to play on our bottom lines. It is what it is. The Kings like guys like Jordan Nolan and Andy Andreoff over the likes of Brian O'Neill or Jordan Weal. Call it what you want.

Edit: Corey Locke is an excellent example.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Brown is a top 6 player?

The only player who kept him out of the top 6 alongside Kopitar this season was Williams. Sutter still went to him on several occasions throughout the year as well. I am not saying he IS a top 6 player, but that's more than likely where he will play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad