Kings News: Kings Olympic invitees

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Lewis is the only real shocker and even then it isn't as bad as Peter freaking Harrold getting invited last go around...

and if BRAZIL ice's a Hockey team - Robyn Regehr (D)

How many years is it before you can declare a 2nd nationality? Any chance Sweden can still sneak Bud Holloway onto their roster? :sarcasm:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
and if BRAZIL ice's a Hockey team - Robyn Regehr (D) ;)

$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+-eBRi+(9JjRg~~60_57.JPG

Before I wised up, I got into collecting hockey cards in the late 90s. I remember being excited when I got this Robyn Regehr card around when he got drafted in 1998. That's some hair that Vidal Sassoon would be proud of.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+-eBRi+(9JjRg~~60_57.JPG

Before I wised up, I got into collecting hockey cards in the late 90s. I remember being excited when I got this Robyn Regehr card around when he got drafted in 1998. That's some hair that Vidal Sassoon would be proud of.

Wow. That must be heart-breaking to go from that incredible mane to cue ball.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The captaincy is between Brown and Parise I think. They also faced each other in 2012. The A's go to Suter, Backes / Callahan / JJ imo.

Me too. Which ever doesn't get it, get's an "A" . It looks to be a good team,much more speed than previous teams. I thought Scuderi would get a nod, but considering the larger ice surface, probably not a good idea.

HolyShot*

I hope carter makes it. On that big ice, carter could really do some damage.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Pominville must have really pissed someone at USA Hockey off, can't even get an invite over Craig Smith or Trevor Lewis, yikes!

Team USA

Forwards (14)

Parise
Kesler
Kessel
Pacioretty
Brown
Kane
Stastny
Backes
Callahan
Ryan
van Riemsdyk
Pavelski
Galchenyuk
Stepan

D-Man (7)

Suter
J. Johnson
Yandle
Shattenkirk
McDonagh
E. Johnson
Orpik

Goalies (3)

Quick
Miller
Howard

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
And USA hockey really loves the way Wisconsin develops players.

7 former Badger players at this camp.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
USA has 5 pretty legit goalies battling for 3 spots. I think Quick is all but guaranteed at least a spot and is likely a VERY strong contender to be starter. Wouldn't surprise me to see Schneider and Anderson as the other two, although I can see Howard making it over Schneider. Don't think Miller makes the team. His game has declined but he has to be a contender just for his experience.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
USA has 5 pretty legit goalies battling for 3 spots. I think Quick is all but guaranteed at least a spot and is likely a VERY strong contender to be starter. Wouldn't surprise me to see Schneider and Anderson as the other two, although I can see Howard making it over Schneider. Don't think Miller makes the team. His game has declined but he has to be a contender just for his experience.

Really it's Quicks starting job to lose. I do see Miller getting one of the spots, with the rest of the invitees a toss up.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I wouldn't put Miller in the debate for one of the three spots simply because he's become such a head case. No drama queens allowed.

Damn straight! I could totally see him making it as a specialty player.:handclap:

I can't think of another player on Team USA that would potentially play with more heart or energy.

My gut says he won't, which is a disgrace.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009

I *think* Stamkos is the only Canadian who has scored more goals than Carter in the last 4 years. So it would be a crime if Carter isn't there

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Really it's Quicks starting job to lose. I do see Miller getting one of the spots, with the rest of the invitees a toss up.

I know it is but you never know with international stuff. And again, I don't see Miller getting it either but again, international stuff is mysterious sometimes. If I were picking my 3, it's Quick, Anderson, and whoever has the better year between Schneider and Howard.

Also, I want Carter and Richards to make Canada and not Giroux and see Flyers fans flip their lids.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I know it is but you never know with international stuff. And again, I don't see Miller getting it either but again, international stuff is mysterious sometimes. If I were picking my 3, it's Quick, Anderson, and whoever has the better year between Schneider and Howard.

Also, I want Carter and Richards to make Canada and not Giroux and see Flyers fans flip their lids.

Would never happen, Giroux's the best player in the world . . .

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

From yahoo.com:
Miller’s inclusion here makes for a rather interesting debate for U.S. starting goalie, as this is the position at which the Americans have a blessing of riches. Quick is the prohibitive favorite for the job; said Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who is part of the U.S. Olympic brain trust, last month: “Judging from our meeting, it’s certainly trending that way.â€

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Honestly, there isn't a goaltender in the world that I would take over Quick in a tournament format. He has the ability to steal a stretch of games more than any other hockey player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
FYI, this was the 2010 team that the US sent to the Olympics:

http://stats.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400101_54B_1_0.pdf

Forwards (13)
Parise-Stastny-Langenbrunner
Malone-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Kesler-Kane
Ryan-Backes-Callahan
Drury

Defensemen (7)
Suter-Rafalski
Gleason-E. Johnson
Orpik-J. Johnson
Whitney

Goaltenders (3)
Miller
Thomas
Quick

You can rule out Langenbrunner, Malone, Drury, Rafalski, Whitney and Thomas automatically, so that's 6 open spots right there. I would say that Orpik and Erik Johnson aren't guaranteed to be back either. So we could be looking at possibly 8 spots for the US team to fill. I think all of the other players are likely going to be returning to the Olympic team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Since the Canadian Olympic team may be icing the most amount of Kings players, here's how their 2010 gold medal winning team looked like:

Forwards (13)
E. Staal-Crosby-Iginla
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
M. Richards-Toews-Nash
Morrow-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron

Defensemen (7)
Niedermayer-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Pronger-Doughty
Boyle

Goaltenders (3)
Luongo
Fleury
Brodeur

The biggest crap shoot for the Canadian team will be in net. I kind of expect Luongo to return, but after him, it's really hard to say who will be going to Sochi. After the playoffs Crawford had, he has to be one of the top candidates to earn a spot on the roster. If Price has a good year, he could also be another one who could make the team.

Of the defensemen, we can scratch Niedermayer and Pronger. Boyle's up there in age and I'd consider him questionable is Boyle.

I think Jeff Carter can and will be the forward replacing Heatley's spot in 2014 and Morrow's spot will taken up by Jamie Benn. If Giroux bounces back, I could see him being the #2 C. Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have to have productive halves in the season to show that they still belong on the Canadian team. I would also expect Patrice Bergeron to play a bigger role than that of a 13th forward.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I think Price is gonna start for Canada. I can't believe Burns isn't invited btw, if there's a player I so want to see in Kings uniform, it's him.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I wouldn't put Miller in the debate for one of the three spots simply because he's become such a head case. No drama queens allowed.

Miller can still get really hot really quickly for a sustain period of time, and he was the best player in Vancouver. i'd be very surprised to see him miss out based on that. And then it's Anderson rounding it out in my opinion. He was the best American goalie during the regular season and second best the year before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad