Post-Game Talk: Kings get crowned. Jets win 4-1

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I don't know about you guys, but I feel better about our chances of somehow winning the lottery with worse odds than Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary than I do of finishing last. Like, we'd have to lose out this year to realistically have a chance I think.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I won't deny it: I enjoyed watching the rooks beat down the Kings in the last period.

On the tank side, I take solace in the fact that the team is better than many give them credit for, and that the teams around us suck. In the end, it's a lottery. Our best chance to land a great player is to finish as low as possible (negating the ability for us to finish any lower than 4th, if we finish last), but we're still not down and out if we pull off the occasional win.

The OOT scoreboard didn't look too bad tonight, in any event. TOR won, EDM won, ARI won.

My synopsis of tonight: Pav - good game. WTF do you have to play well when it doesn't count? Ehlers looks very rusty, Armia didn't. Kings heavily outplayed them during the first half of the game. Not sure if the Kings went to sleep or we picked it up later on, but that was a nice comeback.

My concern as we go forward: more and more playoff teams will be resting players, resulting in easier to win games. On the flipside, this is true for all the tanking teams, so perhaps it balances itself out.

I feel the same and was basically yelling that same sentiment at the TV last night. My hope is that he plays like that next year in 25 games as the backup. :nod:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's meaningless to you, but not to everyone. It's not meaningless to the players. It's not meaningless to the people doing the wave at the game yesterday.

Is a wave meaningful in any measurable sense? I mean it's great that folks at the game had fun. It's great that the players got to enjoy a win (even though as Buff says, they didn't really earn it.) But does it really MEAN anything? You honestly think there's some sort of carry over to next season in a couple more wins this season? Its nothing. A few extra percentage points in our favor in the lotto for a top 3 pick means SOMETHING. It's an actual thing. Maybe it doesn't end up getting us that top 3 pick, but its something. If we get lucky and get a great player in this draft who can fly in and contribute next year, the fans at MTS will get to have a whole bunch of fun in games that actually count...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is a wave meaningful in any measurable sense? I mean it's great that folks at the game had fun. It's great that the players got to enjoy a win. But does it really MEAN anything? You honestly think there's some sort of carry over to next season in a couple more wins this season? Its nothing. A few extra percentage points in our favor in the lotto for a top 3 pick means SOMETHING. It's an actual thing. Maybe it doesn't end up getting us that top 3 pick, but its something. If we get lucky and get a great player in this draft who can fly in and contribute next year, the fans at MTS will get to have a whole bunch of fun in games that actually count...

Yes there is carry over. You don't want the players on the ice attempting to lose on purpose. How would that go over? That thinking is ridiculous. The team should try it's best and win every game. We know they won't but why should we fault them for the effort?

The wave meant the people in the building were having fun. The win was not meaningless to them.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Yes there is carry over. You don't want the players on the ice attempting to lose on purpose. How would that go over? That thinking is ridiculous. The team should try it's best and win every game. We know they won't but why should we fault them for the effort?

The wave meant the people in the building were having fun. The win was not meaningless to them.

Bingo.

It's not all just numbers. The whole reason there's a team in Winnipeg is for entertainment purposes. It's good that the fans had fun and enjoyed themselves, especially in a lost season.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am going to give Pavelec full credit for that win. The Jets were chasing and overrun in the first and Pavs made several tough saves look routine. He kept them in the game and the team got some momentum out of it. Great work by him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Why does this notion keep coming up? Nobody expects the team to go out and try to lose! Hoping for losses doesn't mean the same thing as asking the guys on the ice to try and lose. I expect the players to go out and try and win every game! Why would they do otherwise? I just hope they fail. In that regard, I didn't find last night all that satisfying because I'd much prefer a game where our young guys went out and played well and really won, rather than basically just getting lucky. I hope we lose every remaining game...but I don't in any way expect the guys on the ice to do anything but try to win.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why does this notion keep coming up? Nobody expects the team to go out and try to lose! Hoping for losses doesn't mean the same thing as asking the guys on the ice to try and lose. I expect the players to go out and try and win every game! Why would they do otherwise? I just hope they fail. In that regard, I didn't find last night all that satisfying because I'd much prefer a game where our young guys went out and played well and really won, rather than basically just getting lucky. I hope we lose every remaining game...but I don't in any way expect the guys on the ice to do anything but try to win.

I'm OK with the losses that we take. I'm OK with the wins too. I just didn't agree with you that it's meaningless. It might not help our draft order status but we were never losing out the season. We were gonna win some games.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Whatever wins we achieve now will be completely and utterly forgotten a week after the season is over. I don't believe there's a "culture of winning" that will be built upon a couple more wins this year. So yeah, the fans had a bit of fun last night. Nice. I'd rather have fun next year watching Matthew's or one of the Fins score goals and win games for us.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Whatever wins we achieve now will be completely and utterly forgotten a week after the season is over. I don't believe there's a "culture of winning" that will be built upon a couple more wins this year. So yeah, the fans had a bit of fun last night. Nice. I'd rather have fun next year watching Matthew's or one of the Fins score goals and win games for us.

Losing yesterday would not guarantee Mathews or one of the Finns. Like I said, I realize the win was meaningless to you but it was not meaningless to me, the players, some of the fans in the building and some of the ones watching on TV.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Okay, but I'm not sure what the Jets are supposed to do about all this useless winning. Pavs is in net. Players with a slight twinge are having surgery and are then out for the year. Melchiori is in on D. Youngsters are being poured onto the ice and the PP with no regard for winning. Management has done all they can to ensure the tank. You can't ask pros, especially those who are gunning for an NHL job in a very small window, to lose on purpose. So who's to blame exactly?

The frustration I can understand. But the vitriol seems pointless.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Losing yesterday would not guarantee Mathews or one of the Finns. Like I said, I realize the win was meaningless to you but it was not meaningless to me, the players, some of the fans in the building and some of the ones watching on TV.

Though I'd prefer we play well and lose than play horrible and get lucky like we did last night.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Though I'd prefer we play well and lose than play horrible and get lucky like we did last night.

Pav played well. The team played well in the third period. They had to spool up their game after it was so easy against the Canucks.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Sigh...

yes...I know nothing is guaranteed. Yes I know the players on the ice are going to do their best to win. No, I don't expect them to do otherwise. Yes, I get that you don't "feel" the win was meaningless. But go ahead and put a number on how meaningful last night's win was? How many wins next year will you attribute to us having won one or two extra games now? The impact any wins for the remainder of this season has on the teams future is immeasurably tiny...if there's any impact at all. The impact of a top 3 draft pick has a chance of being huge. But again, nothing is guaranteed...it's all about improving the odds. If we win games, we win games...have fun and enjoy the wins. I'm already looking forward to the future...

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
That feeling when Johnathan Quick is outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec..

I watched a feed of TSN that didn't have commercials but instead had all of the 'behind the scenes' communication. Beyak and Hnidy were very pleased that the Leafs won - they might still publicly pump the Jets' tires, but deep down they're tankers too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sigh...

yes...I know nothing is guaranteed. Yes I know the players on the ice are going to do their best to win. No, I don't expect them to do otherwise. Yes, I get that you don't "feel" the win was meaningless. But go ahead and put a number on how meaningful last night's win was? How many wins next year will you attribute to us having won one or two extra games now? The impact any wins for the remainder of this season has on the teams future is immeasurably tiny...if there's any impact at all. The impact of a top 3 draft pick has a chance of being huge. But again, nothing is guaranteed...it's all about improving the odds. If we win games, we win games...have fun and enjoy the wins. I'm already looking forward to the future...

I blame the Kings. Man, they looked terrible from late-2nd through the third. I wonder if they are running out of gas late in the season like they did last year. They play a very taxing style and their players aren't getting any younger. In the 3rd, Doughty was basically standing still.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That feeling when Johnathan Quick is outplayed by Ondrej Pavelec..

I watched a feed of TSN that didn't have commercials but instead had all of the 'behind the scenes' communication. Beyak and Hnidy were very pleased that the Leafs won - they might still publicly pump the Jets' tires, but deep down they're tankers too.

Can't see the Leafs catching the Jets.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sigh...

You think I don't understand how the lottery works? Everybody understands. You don't have to explain. Some like me just don't fret because it's beyond our control and guarantees nothing. Some refuse to cheer for the team to lose.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

BUT......for me its not about Matthews or the Fins a win here or a win there probably doesn't make a huge difference to lottery luck. What keeps me up at night is losing out on PLD at 5 because we won some meaningless games and jumped from 27 to 24. That is the entire game for me and if we get lucky in the lottery so be it but I firmly believe PLD can be a franchise #1 centre. Either way players and coaches will not try to lose so it is what it is. If I was only fixated on the top 3 lottery spots I would not really give a **** about a win here or a win there. The lower seeding was our safety net to still win the poor mans lottery 4-5.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I blame the Kings. Man, they looked terrible from late-2nd through the third. I wonder if they are running out of gas late in the season like they did last year. They play a very taxing style and their players aren't getting any younger. In the 3rd, Doughty was basically standing still.

They've been absolutely dominant until this recent 3 game slide. And Doughty was moving up in the play way more in the 3rd than previous periods, he was moving way MORE in the 3rd.

Kings will be fine, imo. In the first two periods it was really men against boys. Jets got lucky with a great game from Pavelec and some nice bounces. Ducks just lost to Leafs last night. It happens.

For the Jets, other than top line I thought Dano was the best forward. The puck just follows him around. Lots of chances and played real chippy getting under Kings skin. Lots of uptapped potential. Petan is not ready, IMO. He doesn't play at high enough pace. Melchiori was really really overwhelmed. Postma was really smooth out there moving puck and his feet real well. Thought Armia stepped back into the lineup real well. It's kinda funny the Kings were making a point to dump it into the Jets left corner ALL night to take advantage of Chiarot/Stuart/Melchiori.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
BUT......for me its not about Matthews or the Fins a win here or a win there probably doesn't make a huge difference to lottery luck. What keeps me up at night is losing out on PLD at 5 because we won some meaningless games and jumped from 27 to 24. That is the entire game for me and if we get lucky in the lottery so be it but I firmly believe PLD can be a franchise #1 centre. Either way players and coaches will not try to lose so it is what it is. If I was only fixated on the top 3 lottery spots I would not really give a **** about a win here or a win there. The lower seeding was our safety net to still win the poor mans lottery 4-5.

Edmonton probably picks a D if they son't win the lottery. PLD could fall to 6 or 7. The draft never follows the rankings precisely.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I am going to give Pavelec full credit for that win. The Jets were chasing and overrun in the first and Pavs made several tough saves look routine. He kept them in the game and the team got some momentum out of it. Great work by him.

He is the starter next year.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Seems to me the game was meaningless to everyone doing the wave, none of them were actually watching the game, which is why it's such a lame celebration.

I don't see anything wrong with Petan's pace, he made some solid quick reads out there tonight and moved the puck smartly for the most part. The whole team was a step behind for the first half, once they picked it up Petan was right there.

Still in tough to make the team out of camp but he's looking less out of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad