Post-Game Talk: Kings get crowned. Jets win 4-1

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Was at the game , Postma is playing very well.
He kind of reminds me of Clitsome they both take a few games to get it going but when they do they play responsibly while having a potential to contribute offensively .
Happy trails Clitsome
Hope Postma starts next year.
What an utter waste having him sit in the PB

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They've been absolutely dominant until this recent 3 game slide. And Doughty was moving up in the play way more in the 3rd than previous periods, he was moving way MORE in the 3rd.

Kings will be fine, imo. In the first two periods it was really men against boys. Jets got lucky with a great game from Pavelec and some nice bounces. Ducks just lost to Leafs last night. It happens.

For the Jets, other than top line I thought Dano was the best forward. The puck just follows him around. Lots of chances and played real chippy getting under Kings skin. Lots of uptapped potential. Petan is not ready, IMO. He doesn't play at high enough pace. Melchiori was really really overwhelmed. Postma was really smooth out there moving puck and his feet real well. Thought Armia stepped back into the lineup real well. It's kinda funny the Kings were making a point to dump it into the Jets left corner ALL night to take advantage of Chiarot/Stuart/Melchiori.

Thanks for the insights on the Kings. I haven't been watching them, but was really surprised at how lackluster they became as the game wore on. I remember having the same feeling last season and wondered if their style just grinds them down by this late in the season, which then exposes them when against quick teams. Should be interesting in the playoffs. I think they have to be among the favourites if Quick is solid.

I agree about Dano. I thought last night was his best game yet. Looked quicker than earlier, and I loved his physical game and edginess. Definitely looks like a keeper (Armia was also good).

I actually thought Petan was pretty good. Might not be quite ready, but this stint has been quite encouraging. He has some top-end offensive IQ.

Yah, that was hilarious watching the Jets LD get macerated. Not unexpected. I forgot how bad Stuart was. :shakehead

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the insights on the Kings. I haven't been watching them, but was really surprised at how lackluster they became as the game wore on. I remember having the same feeling last season and wondered if their style just grinds them down by this late in the season, which then exposes them when against quick teams. Should be interesting in the playoffs. I think they have to be among the favourites if Quick is solid.

I agree about Dano. I thought last night was his best game yet. Looked quicker than earlier, and I loved his physical game and edginess. Definitely looks like a keeper (Armia was also good).

I actually thought Petan was pretty good. Might not be quite ready, but this stint has been quite encouraging. He has some top-end offensive IQ.

Yah, that was hilarious watching the Jets LD get macerated. Not unexpected. I forgot how bad Stuart was. :shakehead

I actually thought this was Stu's best game of the year :help:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I like petan but he needs full year in the A to knock out those bone headed passes he constantly tries. Put some mustard on those passes. He just lobs these rainbows constantly.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I like petan but he needs full year in the A to knock out those bone headed passes he constantly tries. Put some mustard on those passes. He just lobs these rainbows constantly.

I don't think that will help, the reason he's trying some passes that he shouldn't are because they work in the AHL. The extra speed and talent in the NHL is what he needs to adjust to. That can only come by NHL experience.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think that will help, the reason he's trying some passes that he shouldn't are because they work in the AHL. The extra speed and talent in the NHL is what he needs to adjust to. That can only come by NHL experience.

Yeah I agree. Once he adjusts to the talent level of the competition he'll be fine.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I agree style wise kings dont match well against quick teams. I dont think its tired though. The trashers/jets are the org that quick has his worst save percentage against in the whole league. Kings can never handle jets speed and transition that well. Kings struggle with quick teams like jets/canadians/lightning.

I did like petans game. When he gets puck on his stick he is good. But hes not finding puck enough, needs work away from game to get to spots to have puck more. Which is what im talking with pace. He slows down game with puck on stick which os great but needs pace away from puck to get puck more, imo. Needs more ahl time to get that down is all, imo.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I agree style wise kings dont match well against quick teams. I dont think its tired though. The trashers/jets are the org that quick has his worst save percentage against in the whole league. Kings can never handle jets speed and transition that well. Kings struggle with quick teams like jets/canadians/lightning.

I did like petans game. When he gets puck on his stick he is good. But hes not finding puck enough, needs work away from game to get to spots to have puck more. Which is what im talking with pace. He slows down game with puck on stick which os great but needs pace away from puck to get puck more, imo. Needs more ahl time to get that down is all, imo.

Possible, though age & fitness in the off-season might take care of that

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think the Kings are going deep again this year...they play a very good defensive game. The air went out of their sails in the 3rd period but that happens. The Jets have been playing surprisingly quick hockey in the last couple of weeks, credit is due for them.

Scheifele with another two points. yeehaw

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think the Kings are going deep again this year...they play a very good defensive game. The air went out of their sails in the 3rd period but that happens. The Jets have been playing surprisingly quick hockey in the last couple of weeks, credit is due for them.

Scheifele with another two points. yeehaw

64pts/82gm pace

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i don't crap on Stuart as much as the rest of you. i mean, i recognize his value (or lack thereof) and his analytics are through the roof, if the roof was flipped by one hell of a tornado. but he was one of the better guys vs the Ducks last year.

but...
and i know that he missed a month due to injury....
but...

watching Stuart stand completely still - like, i mean, 100% motionless - in front of his crease was really something special. he wasn't gliding or circling. just...stood there with 1 hand on his stick. and it was often.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have been beating the Postma drum for a long time but for my money he is a very nice bottom pairing asset. I wish he would be more of a regular fixture on this team.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I have been beating the Postma drum for a long time but for my money he is a very nice bottom pairing asset. I wish he would be more of a regular fixture on this team.

I know they're in a pickle because of Stu and the whole assistant captain thing but it's borderline unforgivable that Postma and Chiarot haven't been the regular 3rd pairing on this team from day 1 this season, especially since they've now come out and claimed the youth movement was already set in motion.

What a waste of Postma's season this has been.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Nice analysis about Petan.

There are going to be some interesting style match-ups in the West these playoffs.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

That's a good clarification, fair points. I thought he made a few nice cuts to make himself available on the breakout but there were a few times he was too outside the play when some scoring chances might have materialized if he was there.

Having said that though I'm not sure whether that's a byproduct of him playing safer defensively or just being behind the play. Seemed to me his game against the Canucks was much better off the puck.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Watching the gawd awful PP again last night , it struck me again how baffling it is that Wheeler is so hopeless on it. I definitely believe that is one area Petan has the biggest opportunity to contribute, he has a great sense and patience on the half wall, Wheeler plays too deep and forces the puck.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Watching the gawd awful PP again last night , it struck me again how baffling it is that Wheeler is so hopeless on it. I definitely believe that is one area Petan has the biggest opportunity to contribute, he has a great sense and patience on the half wall, Wheeler plays too deep and forces the puck.

Wheeler just needs to park his butt in front of the net on the PP. With the emergence of some young guys who's game suits the half wall or rotating to the point like Ehlers will, I think we'll be able to utilize Wheeler so much better.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Just finished watching the game (errr before my nap). First two periods the Kings outplayed the Jets. Third I don't remember much as I fell asleep.

Postma needs to be at least our 7th dman next year. I do not understand why he hasn't played more.

Dano is fiesty and I like it! He's going to be a good player.

And Pavs can go suck a lemon. His post game comments are just. Sigh.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If that was his best game...oh jeez.

I like Stu, however I have not been a fan of his play at all this year, and well...last year was kinda bunk as well now that I think if it.
Seems he is not blocking shots like he used to and trying to take the body too often with many a disastrous result.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Wheeler just needs to park his butt in front of the net on the PP. With the emergence of some young guys who's game suits the half wall or rotating to the point like Ehlers will, I think we'll be able to utilize Wheeler so much better.

Yep, very much agree.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Our PP is pathetic. It is misnamed. It should be called the Power Failure Play. It is a blackout, not a Power Play. 5 minute PP a couple of games back without a shot on net. Or was there 1? They get more good chances on the PK than on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00