GDT: Kings @ Flames - Win and We're In! - 7 PM

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We might never In again.
source.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone feel like this run is nothing like the last one?
This team feels like a legitimate NHL Playoff team, their luck would suggest they're one of the bottom half lucky teams (versus the year they made it). They're legit creating more chances, holding the puck more... Really impressed.

The depth is beyond anything we've had in the past 5 years. Look at the playoff team from a couple seasons ago... It was a team carried by 1 line and a lot of luck.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This team feels like a legitimate NHL Playoff team, their luck would suggest they're one of the bottom half lucky teams (versus the year they made it). They're legit creating more chances, holding the puck more... Really impressed.

The depth is beyond anything we've had in the past 5 years. Look at the playoff team from a couple seasons ago... It was a team carried by 1 line and a lot of luck.

It's nice to know that this team doesn't always have to spot the opponent a goal or two before they'll decide to turn on the boosters. This year's team is much more well-rounded, knows how to play with a lead, and like you said, is deeper than anything we've seen in at least the last five years.

Clinch tonight. Home ice is still a possibility. I believe in these guys to get it done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

We still make a frustrating amount of defensive zone turnovers that will likely be our Achilles heel in the playoffs that prevents us from going deep (unless, you know, we can figure that out). We haven't had a game where we really prevent the other team from getting quality chances in a while. Even Colorado could've beaten us last game with the opportunities we spotted them a few times.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ha! Take that Principe!

Man, I can't believe a playoff position is within our grasp. When was the last time we got into the playoffs with so much leeway? At the start of the year, this final stretch really worried me but now it's almost a non-factor.
Yeah, I am most happy about that. potentially clinching a berth with 5 games left is really great. Unfortunately (or fortunately since we are 4th) the division is so tight we won't know our seeding until the final day.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's nice to know that this team doesn't always have to spot the opponent a goal or two before they'll decide to turn on the boosters. This year's team is much more well-rounded, knows how to play with a lead, and like you said, is deeper than anything we've seen in at least the last five years.

Clinch tonight. Home ice is still a possibility. I believe in these guys to get it done.

I think this year we see the shift in the Pacific powers.
I think it's going to swing back to Alberta. To be fair, Edmonton is actually a bad possession team and a high PDO team; seems like a team that leans on Talbot a lot. Both of those two are growing, whereas the Cali teams are on the downswing...

I like our chances at becoming on the best in the Pacific in short order.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

We are a top team in the NHL over the last ~65 games. What else needs to be said? Are we Pittsburgh, Washington, or Chicago? No. But I don't see why the Flames couldn't match any other team in the playoffs. I also think we could even beat one of those elite teams.

I think their play has trailed off the last 10 games or so (post Pitt). But we haven't really been playing meaningful games.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think this year we see the shift in the Pacific powers.
I think it's going to swing back to Alberta. To be fair, Edmonton is actually a bad possession team and a high PDO team; seems like a team that leans on Talbot a lot. Both of those two are growing, whereas the Cali teams are on the downswing...

I like our chances at becoming on the best in the Pacific in short order.

I think they are the 8th best possession team from the site im looking at. Flames are 11th.

Top 1. Boston Bruins 2. LA Kings 3. Philadelphia Flyers 4. San Jose Sharks 5. Carolina Hurricans.

Clearly possession is everything :laugh:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

I still get chills watching that. That season really was the perfect storm. I was so nervous watching that game, my hands were shaking almost the entire last period.

Yeah, I am most happy about that. potentially clinching a berth with 5 games left is really great. Unfortunately (or fortunately since we are 4th) the division is so tight we won't know our seeding until the final day.

Just think, if we had fired Gully and Cameron, sent Mony to the AHL, benched Johnny, etc the way the village mob wanted to in November, we could have clinched with 20 games left :sarcasm: (I don't even know if that's mathematically possible hahaha)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think they are the 8th best possession team from the site im looking at. Flames are 11th.

Top 1. Boston Bruins 2. LA Kings 3. Philadelphia Flyers 4. San Jose Sharks 5. Carolina Hurricans.

Clearly possession is everything :laugh:

Huh? The site I'm looking at has Edmonton at 19th in possession, 7th in PDO.
Calgary's 12th and 18th respectively.

Calgary's sandwiched by Pittsburgh and St Louis; with Chicago right there too. I like to look at both numbers; because it does draw out a story.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I know the Flames have been rolling since pretty much mid-November but I can't help but feel that the team could show a lot more. They still bobble pucks like crazy, their breakouts are still horrid, the third pairing and third line are still tire fires, Bennett and Brodie still aren't playing like they could be.

There is still plenty of room for improvement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Calgary's sandwiched by Pittsburgh and St Louis; with Chicago right there too. I like to look at both numbers; because it does draw out a story.

PDO is an extremely misleading stat, though. In Edmonton's case, they have a goaltender with an above-average save percentage (but not by much), and they have a generational forward who creates dangerous chances off the rush. You expect a forward like that to have a high on-ice shooting percentage, because he is effective in generating quality scoring chances and his line generally doesn't settle for low-percentage chances.

Usually, PDO just backs up what you would expect from how a team plays and how their goaltending has been playing. I bet if you looked up their shooting percentage without Connor McBreakaway, it would be somewhere around 5%. But it's not just luck. If you get a generational player, that's what you expect- he is more efficient than other players at creating offence.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Yep you are correct I looked at a few more sites.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
PDO is an extremely misleading stat, though. In Edmonton's case, they have a goaltender with an above-average save percentage (but not by much), and they have a generational forward who creates dangerous chances off the rush. You expect a forward like that to have a high on-ice shooting percentage, because he is effective in generating quality scoring chances and his line generally doesn't settle for low-percentage chances.

Usually, PDO just backs up what you would expect from how a team plays and how their goaltending has been playing. I bet if you looked up their shooting percentage without Connor McBreakaway, it would be somewhere around 5%. But it's not just luck. If you get a generational player, that's what you expect- he is more efficient than other players at creating offence.

Actually Leon Draisaitl is damn near 17%
McDavid is only around 12%, which is where you expect him. Most of their guys are having average years (except for Draisaitl, Desharnais, Maroon, Pitlick and Letestu).

Their PDO is driven by their save percentage. Talbot is standing on his head. And while I agree that he is an above average goalie, this team is him getting cold away from another likely bottom dwelling appearance.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Flames, Ducks and Oilers are 16th - 18th teams in score adjusted CF%. It's best adjusted because teams tend to turtle when they get a lead.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Actually Leon Draisaitl is damn near 17%
McDavid is only around 12%, which is where you expect him. Most of their guys are having average years (except for Draisaitl, Desharnais, Maroon, Pitlick and Letestu).

Their PDO is driven by their save percentage. Talbot is standing on his head. And while I agree that he is an above average goalie, this team is him getting cold away from another likely bottom dwelling appearance.

Well, Draisaitl and McDavid have been on together for most of the season, and both have been the most productive by far when together. So that makes complete sense.

Hard to say whether Talbot is standing on his head this year, because it's not like he had a long track record of below-average goaltending before this year. Last year was his first as a starter, and it was okay, but he's young and had room for improvement. This could very well be what he is for his career. .920 isn't unreasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad