Kings News: Kings extended contract of Manchester Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Didn't see it posted anywhere ...

but Mark Morris is re-upped to coach the Monarchs

http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/news.php?nid=4783
Morris_Mark271.jpg

Winningest Coach In Monarchs History Returns To Manchester

MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, have extended the contract of Head Coach Mark Morris, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Morris has been the bench boss of the Monarchs squad for the last seven seasons and coached the team to 290 regular season wins, 205 losses, 24 overtime losses and 33 shootout losses. Morris has coached the most wins in franchise history with 313 regular season and playoff victories. He also holds the record for coaching the most Monarchs games as he embarks on his eighth season in October. After winning the first playoff round in franchise history during the 2006-07 season, Morris has guided the team to the Calder Cup’s Eastern Conference Final twice, 2007 and 2010. Morris has also assisted in advancing many NHL careers and turning Monarchs players into Stanley Cup Champions with the Kings.

994228_10151597398613878_404005111_n.png

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Thank goodness! I was a little worried he would be next to get poached.

It's been pretty much done for a little while now. He was very close to taking an NHL assistant job this offseason but he didn't. He'll be an NHL head coach one day. I really hope that Blake can get him to stay as long as possible. He's been great at developing our talent.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This might be his choice. Its possible he may only agree to 1 year deals in hopes of getting an NHL coaching position?

Many NHL teams allow for Assistants (coaches and GM's) to leave for a promotion. I'm not sure if LA has the same policy or not. I know Hexy didn't leave for a promotion per se, but he was also essentially done with his contract (expired in August I believe).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Morris not only wins, he does the most important job for an AHL coach, and that's develop players to win in the NHL. I hope he is one of if not the best paid coach in the AHL, the guy has earned it. I just hope that he sticks around now that he has a new boss.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Maybe Sutters?

Sutter has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

Morris not only wins, he does the most important job for an AHL coach, and that's develop players to win in the NHL. I hope he is one of if not the best paid coach in the AHL, the guy has earned it. I just hope that he sticks around now that he has a new boss.

This this this. I think it's pretty clear Morris is due for a promotion soon. He'll be an NHL assistant pretty shortly. Blake's biggest test will be replacing him.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

This this this. I think it's pretty clear Morris is due for a promotion soon. He'll be an NHL assistant pretty shortly. Blake's biggest test will be replacing him.

I'm guessing he meant that as he's potentially Sutter's replacement.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
This might be his choice. Its possible he may only agree to 1 year deals in hopes of getting an NHL coaching position?
Maybe Sutters?

I think fyrescorp is suggesting that maybe Morris would be inline to Take Over FOR Sutter, should he decide to leave the NHL and go back to his Family & Farm life. Sutter's the type that certainly LOVES coaching ... but his love and commitment to his family is even greater, it wouldn't surprise me to see him step down at some point in time, especially if his son's health ever became an issue again.

And by that time ... like HALF of this team or future team will have already PLAYED for and be familiar with Mark Morris as a Head Coach, ;) so it would make some sense.

HolyShot*

Let's be realistic, if we don't win the cup within the next 4 years, does sutter get fired?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Let's be realistic, if we don't win the cup within the next 4 years, does sutter get fired?

Give us more context. Finish at the basement of the conference all four years or advance to the Cup finals all four years? (Clearly, it's somewhere in between.)

HolyShot*

Give us more context. Finish at the basement of the conference all four years or advance to the Cup finals all four years? (Clearly, it's somewhere in between.)

If we make it to the conf finals and semis a couple times.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
I think fyrescorp is suggesting that maybe Morris would be inline to Take Over FOR Sutter, should he decide to leave the NHL and go back to his Family & Farm life. Sutter's the type that certainly LOVES coaching ... but his love and commitment to his family is even greater, it wouldn't surprise me to see him step down at some point in time, especially if his son's health ever became an issue again.

And by that time ... like HALF of this team or future team will have already PLAYED for and be familiar with Mark Morris as a Head Coach, ;) so it would make some sense.

Thank you too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad