Kings News: Kings, Ducks to hold 2 game rookie tournament

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From the LA Kings Insider today:

The Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks will be hosting a two-game rookie tournament in early September. Initial plans have the tournament opening in Anaheim on Saturday, September 7 and continuing at the Toyota Sports Center on Monday, September 9.

Additional news on these rookie games will be posted when it becomes available.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
It's unlikely they'll be televised though it is possible for them to do a webstream of it like they've done in previous years.

i think this is would be something id love to there would be players i havnt really seen play. I think it would help everyones knowledge of players coming up in the system So i hope if there is a stream on that day someone sends it to me please (also a reminder a few days ahead of it would be nice )

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If that happens again, who sees their stock around here skyrocket like Toffoli did and who plummets into oblivion ala Gibson?

I remember seeing Simmonds and being blown away by how dominant he was at the rookie camps/prospect games. I think it was against the Coyotes prospects where he just had his way physically against them. You could tell then this kid was going to be something special, not in the blow you away offensively stats, but in the physically dominating style of play, which is exactly what he's done as he's matured over the years.

I'm really eager to see Tanner Pearson and Zykov in action along with Forbort on the blueline. Colin Miller also intrigues me. I think the prospect who will be on the hot seat this year, not just based on this camp but throughout the upcoming season will be Martin Jones. He's either going to prove that he can move up and be an eventual backup to Quick in the NHL or he's going to become a journeyman goaltender ala Danny Taylor, Barry Brust, etc. I hope he strings together a solid campaign and earns a spot on the roster eventually as he's come a long way from a rookie camp invitee to the Kings' top goaltending prospect.

Captain Mittens*

i dont understand why not i think they would get decent ratings whereever broadcasted

Because you are thinking like a Canadian :)

We used to get one preseason game a year and I think the last one was the Frozen Fury where Frolov debuted and did a wraparound on Patty Roy.

the Kings had to fight (for years) with their broadcast partners just to get every regular season game on TV, without any preseason. A rookie tournament? No way in hell....

Kings games are on regional sports networks down here. The Ducks on FSNPT and the Kings on FSNW.
This time of year, those are all baseball all the time.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Didn't they webcast a prospect game last season?

It was two years ago against the Coyotes prospects with Gibson giving up 4 or 5 goals in his half of the game and the Kings losing by 1 goal. There was no development or rookie camp last year due to the labor disputes and eventual lockout. They've done a webcast every year before that since I think the second year DL was here so it's definitely a possibility they would have it this year.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
It was two years ago against the Coyotes prospects with Gibson giving up 4 or 5 goals in his half of the game and the Kings losing by 1 goal. There was no development or rookie camp last year due to the labor disputes and eventual lockout. They've done a webcast every year before that since I think the second year DL was here so it's definitely a possibility they would have it this year.

Right, I remembered it being last training camp, didn't think about the lockout. Explains why it feels like it was longer ago than last year.

cdubs

Sep 12, 2012
Anyone hear about any specifics on this tournament yet? like what time it will be held? or if its free of charge?

Captain Mittens*

Although nothing is official just yet for this year, per Jon Rosen, the Kings and Ducks are working on a plan to host a home-and-home series, with tentative plans calling for a game in Anaheim on Friday, September 7 and at TSC in El Segundo on Monday, September 9.
http://networkedblogs.com/OjZat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad