Salary Cap: Kings Capology

Ron*

zKBsfF.png

Ron*

Since there seems to be much confusion, here is the Kings current CAP situation.

Go at it.

Ron*

I will try to keep it updated when and if players move on or off the chart.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Since there seems to be much confusion, here is the Kings current CAP situation.

Go at it.

If this is current you need to remove Voynov, he does not count against the current cap.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He's suspended. His salary is not in play (we realistically can't use any part of his salary to deal for players or contracts until he is removed from the team, if that's the case).
He also doesn't count against the Kings' current cap situation, as you portray that chart to be.

Ron*

He also doesn't count against the Kings' current cap situation, as you portray that chart to be.

I'm being realistic. Like DL. If he didn't count against our current CAP, then why did he say we can't sign Sekera even if we buy out Richards?

Because he is thinking about Voynov's CAP hit, that's why.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He's suspended. His salary is not in play (we realistically can't use any part of his salary to deal for players or contracts until he is removed from the team, if that's the case).

I think this is the case under the Kings suspension, but not the league one. The Kings didn't have to maintain payroll space last year, which led to them getting Sekera. I have read nothing that indicates a change (unless the league was clear it was only for last season?) If so they should be able spend that money if they see fit. Note the CBA says suspended players count against the cap, but the NHL treated it as under the LTIR/unfit exception.

Of course once Voynov is healthy, they have to be in compliance (assuming the league suspension is over). If Lombardi has interest in Voynov from other teams, pending his trial outcome, he can absolutely sign a replacement for him and trade him once his situation is resolved.

I'm not inferring I think DL should do this, I'm just saying his salary is available if need be, unless there is something I'm missing in the CBA.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I'm being realistic. Like DL. If he didn't count against our current CAP, then why did he say we can't sign Sekera even if we buy out Richards?

Maybe Sekera is asking close to Doughty money.. You have no way no way of knowing what is behind not signing him, until we see what he gets as an UFA..

Heck you could put Greene or Martinez on waivers, and someone would claim them if you really were in a pinch capwise and nobody wanted them in a trade.

Ron*

I think this is the case under the Kings suspension, but not the league one. The Kings didn't have to maintain payroll space last year, which led to them getting Sekera. I have read nothing that indicates a change, so they should be able spend that money if they see fit. Note the CBA says suspended players count against the cap, but the NHL is treating it as under the LTIR/unfit exception.

Of course once Voynov is healthy, they have to be in compliance (assuming the league suspension is over). If Lombardi has interest in Voynov from other teams, pending his trial outcome, he can absolutely sign a replacement for him and trade him once his situation is resolved.

I'm not inferring I think DL should do this, I'm just saying his salary is available if need be, unless there is something I'm missing in the CBA.

This is absolutely true.

However, it doesn't appear that Lombardi is leaning this way (from his public comments, anyway).

Everything is in a state of flux until this trial is over and the league and then the team decides what it wants to do with Voynov.

Ron*

Maybe Sekera is asking close to Doughty money.. You have no way no way of knowing what is behind not signing him, until we see what he gets as an UFA..

No one knows anything.

But the latest (just today, probably as a result of the Lucic trade) has Sekera going UFA on July 1.

I want him back too, but let's get realistic. He want's his retirement contract. He isn't likely to resign here.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You guys have to remember that Sekera has never been paid as a top Defender.

This is his chance to get a nice fat contract.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
He's almost certainly not thinking about Voynov's cap hit. If he's convicted, the Kings void his contract under the moral character clauses and that's that. If he's acquitted, the Kings are allowed to go 10% over the cap during the off season, so he can be on the books until he is traded and he will easily fit under the off-season cap.

The problem is not Voynov's cap hit, the problem is that Sekera's contract will hinder Kopitar's next contract, and Pearson's, and Toffoli's, and if any of the other kids really develop into good, and expensive players, their contracts. For this upcoming season, the Kings would be OK. Starting in 2016-17 and beyond, Sekera's contract would become a real problem.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
No one knows anything.

But the latest (just today, probably as a result of the Lucic trade) has Sekera going UFA on July 1.

I want him back too, but let's get realistic. He want's his retirement contract. He isn't likely to resign here.

Gotta figure Lombardi knows what the number was, and you have a couple of options,
sign a Sekera at 6.5 million per or you get Lucic for 3.3 Million, and sign a serviceable UFA D man for 3 million or so. The latter to me is a better option.

Ron*

He's almost certainly not thinking about Voynov's cap hit. If he's convicted, the Kings void his contract under the moral character clauses and that's that. If he's acquitted, the Kings are allowed to go 10% over the cap during the off season, so he can be on the books until he is traded and he will easily fit under the off-season cap.

The problem is not Voynov's cap hit, the problem is that Sekera's contract will hinder Kopitar's next contract, and Pearson's, and Toffoli's, and if any of the other kids really develop into good, and expensive players, their contracts. For this upcoming season, the Kings would be OK. Starting in 2016-17 and beyond, Sekera's contract would become a real problem.

All good points, but...

...if this is the case, why did it take to June 26 for DL to finally determine we can't sign Sekera?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
All good points, but...

...if this is the case, why did it take to June 26 for DL to finally determine we can't sign Sekera?

Maybe that is when the agent came back with the number he would sign for and it was over inflated.

Ron*

Gotta figure Lombardi knows what the number was, and you have a couple of options,
sign a Sekera at 6.5 million per or you get Lucic for 3.3 Million, and sign a serviceable UFA D man for 3 million or so. The latter to me is a better option.

Yes.

Right now, we are looking at this:

Muzzin / Doughty

Martinez / Greene

No second pairing. Sekera / Voynov would have been awesome, but Sekera is likely not coming back and who knows about Voynov.

McNabb? Want him in the pressbox. McBain? Gone. Forbort? I don't know him. We really need a top 4 D bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad