Confirmed with Link: Kings Buyout Phaneuf

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Blake gets credit for putting on his big boy pants and cleaning up his mistake. It’s a turd sandwich no matter what, but I’m glad he didn’t again miss a window to turn over the roster.

It can’t be acceptable to force players into a starting NHL lineup purely based on fiscal reasons. It sends the wrong message to the team and leads to an environment where accountability is missing. It’s inherently anti competitive.

This is hopefully Blake sending a message to the remaining veterans that he will no longer patiently wait for them to flip the switch and earn their paychecks. He will embarrass them by using full measures to discard them at professional cost to his own standing in the organization.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Possible defensemen for 2019:

Doughty
Martinez
Forbort
Walker
LaDue
Roy
Brickley
MacDermid
Clague
Anderson
Durzi
Phillips

Austin Strand as well. Think he, Durzi and Phillips will definitely be with the Reign. There's also Jacob Moverare; he can come back over from Frolunda as well. Word is, he got in much better shape and played well for Frolunda, had a strong playoffs with 6 pts in 16 games and plus 7. They won the championship and he was part of that. I had pretty much written him off, but he may yet emerge. They told him to get in better shape and he did and his game improved. Still only 20 and good size as well, at 6'3" 200. He is an asset of sorts and could also have some trade value. Yannetti used to talk up his hockey sense...but it's his skating that needed work.

Jacob Moverare at eliteprospects.com

A big and strong defenseman. Moverare is a very competitive player capable of logging big minutes and playing a simple and smart game. Has good hockey sense and decent offensive tools, but is more likely to develop into a solid stay-at-home defenseman at the next level. Nice timing in his physical game, fine positioning in most situations and a good character. Skating is okay, although his acceleration could use some improvement. (EP 2016)
A quick-thinking, strong, two-way defender. He moves well up ice with the puck as he surveys his options and makes hard, well-timed passes, Futureconsiderations.ca 2016

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Finally...

The trade wasn't bad because it was probably the only way to get rid of that brutal Gaborik contract. But his time in the NHL is up.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Lol.

So if kept Gaborik and he got healthy and we bought him out, pretty much same thing?

I believe that if Gabby was eligible to be bought right now he would have approximately the following Hits;

Compared to Dion

I am on the road and can’t look up the exact figures for that I believe is close

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
One last Phaneuf pylon photo.

ZiMhslo.jpg

:laugh:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Didn't they call moverare the best IQ in the draft? High praise.

Yes...if I remember correctly, Yannetti asked his scouting team about their assessment of Moverare and all of them mentioned that he had
very good hockey sense. It was his skating that would hold him back. In a more recent article, (can't find it) they said that they told
him he needed to get into better shape, if he wanted to play in the NHL...and they said he has now and it's making a difference
in his game. One would think if at the age of 20, he goes back to Frolunda and becomes part of their championship team and
defense, in better shape and playing on a larger ice surface...maybe there is a future for him on LA's defense. Has good
size as well. Does not turn 21 until later this year. In any case, he's still an asset and should not write him off.

Thread is about Dion...this move is notice to ALL Kings that they will not accept the entitlement thing they spoke
of at the TM (or end of season one?) presser.

Also, Kings are staying true to stating they want to get down to 24-25 age range.

30+ year olds now gone: Phaneuf, Thompson, Hagelin, Muzzin (he's 30 now but was 29 when dealt)
Leaving: Kovalchuk 36, Brown 34, Lewis 32, Kopitar 32 in Aug, Quick 33, Carter 34 and Martinez 32 in July.

That's still 7 30+ year olds. I am thinking that 2 more will not be on the roster, come opening night.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Yes...if I remember correctly, Yannetti asked his scouting team about their assessment of Moverare and all of them mentioned that he had
very good hockey sense. It was his skating that would hold him back. In a more recent article, (can't find it) they said that they told
him he needed to get into better shape, if he wanted to play in the NHL...and they said he has now and it's making a difference
in his game. One would think if at the age of 20, he goes back to Frolunda and becomes part of their championship team and
defense, in better shape and playing on a larger ice surface...maybe there is a future for him on LA's defense. Has good
size as well. Does not turn 21 until later this year. In any case, he's still an asset and should not write him off.

Thread is about Dion...this move is notice to ALL Kings that they will not accept the entitlement thing they spoke
of at the TM (or end of season one?) presser.

Also, Kings are staying true to stating they want to get down to 24-25 age range.

30+ year olds now gone: Phaneuf, Thompson, Hagelin, Muzzin (he's 30 now but was 29 when dealt)
Leaving: Kovalchuk 36, Brown 34, Lewis 32, Kopitar 32 in Aug, Quick 33, Carter 34 and Martinez 32 in July.

That's still 7 30+ year olds. I am thinking that 2 more will not be on the roster, come opening night.
Brown,Kopitar and Quick are my guesses that stay.

Kovi,Lewis,Carter and Martinez probably gone by next season end.

Or Kings Org could keep Martinez as veteran leadership for the younf defensemen.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Martinez and Lewis have some value, so I would venture to guess that they will be traded by the trade deadline. I think one of Carter or Quick is dealt before next year’s draft, if not sooner.

Brown and Kopitar are not leaving unless they request a trade. Also, Doughty turns 30 this year. Where the f*** does the time go?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Based on what I saw last season I'd be shocked if an NHL team signs Dion. It's over Johnny! It's over.

Never say never. Richards appeared in NHL games following the Kings buyout/termination so anything is possible.

But I would guess it would have to be the Trent Hunter-Devin Setoguchi avenue with a PTO. Can't see anyone giving him a contract without seeing him in camp first.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Never say never. Richards appeared in NHL games following the Kings buyout/termination so anything is possible.

But I would guess it would have to be the Trent Hunter-Devin Setoguchi avenue with a PTO. Can't see anyone giving him a contract without seeing him in camp first.
He can blame WD’s bad practices and get a PTO, but most of those don’t lead to a contract.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am glad we will never have to see Dion as a King again, but still think it would have made more sense to buy him out after next year.

Hopefully some of the young D prove they are ready

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Dont be surprised to see Moverare in a Kings jersey in the near future.

I watched one playoff game and he was awesome. From what I read he had a more than solid season in the pro’s as well.

Let him stay in Sweden to improve his positioning on a larger surface.

Rob Scuderi in his best years with better offense.

Reactions: Schmooley
Jul 31, 2005
CA

Dion's footwork reminds me of Hal Gill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad