Kings News: Kings at the World Championships

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I guess Germany is underrated still. Seems like most of the high picks out of the DEL recently are looking good too.

2020:
Stutzle
Reichel
Peterka

2019:
Moritz Seider
I mean that’s great but their only Olympic medal in nearly 50 years came when nhl players sat at home. I’ve got nothing against Germany, I’ve got ancestry and my last name is German, but they’re not a hockey power by any stretch unless it’s a tournament where everyone else sends their C team.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
they’re not a hockey power by any stretch unless it’s a tournament where everyone else sends their C team.

Germany was missing many of their best players and biggest stars (no need to remind ourselves of the greatest) at this tournament as well – reportedly 15 players declined the invitation to play, so you never know.

Reactions: johnjm22

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Is there anything more predictable than team USA disappearing in an international tournament?
Soon as everyone starts talking about how the USA has a chance at the gold medal, they fall apart. Same hype again this year, same poor result. Really surprised a lot of the young US talent passed on this event.

Reactions: Faterson

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Two things you can count on in the World Championship is Canada playing their best hockey when it matters the most and USA failing to medal.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Soon as everyone starts talking about how the USA has a chance at the gold medal, they fall apart. Same hype again this year, same poor result. Really surprised a lot of the young US talent passed on this event.
When your best player is a career minor leaguer who doesn’t even play on a good AHL team, expectations should be set accordingly.

Reactions: funky

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I mean that’s great but their only Olympic medal in nearly 50 years came when nhl players sat at home. I’ve got nothing against Germany, I’ve got ancestry and my last name is German, but they’re not a hockey power by any stretch unless it’s a tournament where everyone else sends their C team.
I haven’t seen the roster but there are probably quite a few Canadian-Germans on the team.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Not at all. Not a single one, as far as I can tell. Those times are long over. This isn't 2000.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. It’s good to see as I’ve not followed the EU international scene closely for a long time. I couldn’t even tell you if GB are still using dual nationals although I’d be shocked if we were not.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Let's not be too harsh. The US was the only team in the tournament not to lose a game in regulation. Still, they finished fourth, due to the two 3-on-3 overtime losses in the two medal games.

They were also the only team to win all 7 games in the group stage (6 of them in regulation). They were the Boston Bruins of this year's Worlds.

And yes, TJ Tynan got a couple of votes for the tournament's All Star team, indicating he impressed more than the Sabres star Alex Tuch. Eventually, another AHLer got into the All Star team: Rocco Grimaldi for 14 points (7+7) in 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad