Kings are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
First team to miss the playoffs the next season after winning the cup since the Hurricanes in 2007. Ohhhhhhh boyyyyyyy.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Kings not making it into the playoffs is like a birthday gift months in advance.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
with 2 long runs in the last 3 years, I'm not surprised. thats a lot of extra hockey they've played in 4 years

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think that the difference between you and the Hawks is that they managed to stay ahead of the curve by bringing in good young players constantly. The Kings have some great youngsters too, but not quite like Saad (who's going to be a stud), Teravainen, TVR.

Meanwhile, you guys are stuck with Mike Richards.

Pearson, Toffoli, Mcnabb?

Still have plenty of guys in the system, too. I agree we haven't cycled young guys in enough yet, but we hadn't needed to up until this point. even outside of roster surprises guys likes Shore, Weal, Forbort will see some time next year as guys like Stoll go out behind the barn.

Just wanted to say thanks to you for being so graceful throughout it all. I'm sure the Kings are going to come back hungrier and angrier than than ever next year, and they have plenty time in the offeseason to train for once. :sarcasm:

WELL they're not very practiced at golf so they'll have to do something to pass the time :sarcasm:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I think that the difference between you and the Hawks is that they managed to stay ahead of the curve by bringing in good young players constantly. The Kings have some great youngsters too, but not quite like Saad (who's going to be a stud), Teravainen, TVR.

Meanwhile, you guys are stuck with Mike Richards.

It helps that the Blackhawks save 3.5M a year with the illegal back-diving contracts they gave to Hossa and Keith. That's a big part of it. Couldn't have matched the Hjalmarsson offer sheet otherwise.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
I think with them and hopefully the Bruins being out, this is easily the most wide-open Playoffs and thus most exciting in recent memory.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Pearson, Toffoli, Mcnabb?

Still have plenty of guys in the system, too. I agree we haven't cycled young guys in enough yet, but we hadn't needed to up until this point. even outside of roster surprises guys likes Shore, Weal, Forbort will see some time next year as guys like Stoll go out behind the barn.

Stoll, Williams, Richards and Brown need to go. They're dragging the team down.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
They just had no gas left in the tank.

They will be frightening next year though after they spend the spring on the outside looking in.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
With the Kings out and the Bruins on the brink, has there ever been a season where the previous year's Cup champion and President's trophy teams miss the playoffs the following year?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Excuses. Blackhawks have played a ton of hockey these past 4 years too, and they made the playoffs easily, even with Kane missing.

2011 and 2012 they were done in round 1, so they had the early rests, but yea, you do have a point.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Excuses. Blackhawks have played a ton of hockey these past 4 years too, and they made the playoffs easily, even with Kane missing.

A little over a week ago if the Jets had beat them the Hawks would have been within 2 points. If the Hawks had gotten cold like the Kings at the end they could have missed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like the Flames, Wild and Jets are 3 teams that will make some serious noise in the playoffs. Jets are just massive and the Wild, a deep offensive squad that can make some trouble for people. Flames are just a massive wild card, can't rule them out at all

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A little over a week ago if the Jets had beat them the Hawks would have been within 2 points. If the Hawks had gotten cold like the Kings at the end they could have missed.

But they didn't. Hawks had injuries to key players too (Crawford, Kane, Sharp). Kings only have themselves to blame for this year's poor performance.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hawks game is all about skill while the Kings game is all about grinding down the oppositions.

a LOT more roster turnover on those teams as well. People used the rangers as an example too. Not gonna go back and find the numbers again.

In the end it's just an excuse, but it is one that matches the eye test, Kings were just completely out of gas.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When do the playoff threads open? I want to start the trash talking early! :D

I'll enjoy listening to AM 1040 when you guys go down in Flames in the 1st round.

Always entertaining to listen to Canucks' post game talk when they make an early exit. :laugh:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

No two teams are exactly alike. Context is always different. The Rangers have played a bunch of games, but they didn't win. The Hawks didn't win the Cup twice in 3 years, or go to 3 consecutive conference finals either.

Who can say for sure how much fatigue plays a role, if any at all. You can go through a list of things that might have been the reason why the Kings missed the playoffs. All excuses, all reasons.

The Kings lost two home games in OT after having leads in the 3rd period to the Flames. Had the Kings won those games in regulation, it could be a different outcome right now, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad