Confirmed with Link: Kings aquire Bishop, 2017 5th rd pk for Budaj , Erik Cernak, 7th & cond pick

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
You're gonna love Bishop. He was a fan favorite here in Tampa and for a good reason. He is arguably the best goaltender we ever had in franchise history. One of his biggest upsides is his ability to play the puck. There are countless examples where tape-to-tape outlet passes from him landed on a forward's stick on the opposing blue line that resulted in amazing scoring chances / goals. Take good care of Big Ben!

What about Darren Puppa :sarcasm:

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
We traded a 7th round pick and a prospect that is projected to be a bottom pairing defenseman (if he even plays in our big club in 5 years) for a 5th round pick. How is that a mismanagement of assets or like the Sekera trade where we gave up a 1st rounder?

Like the 2012 team, this Kings' squad will need to win games 1-0 or 2-1, and having two no. 1 goalies allows us to do that. Great trade by DL here. I just hope we get a winger for a low draft pick that can move up to a 2nd or 3rd round pick if we make the playoffs or advance a round.
It could be considered mismanagement if the cap space that Bishop now sits in somehow prevents us from getting an F. If we end up NOT getting an F, we will probably never know.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
After awhile to process it, I don't hate it and kind of like it. Though I think it should've happened way before the deadline and I still think a far more pressing need at the moment, if we're buying this deadline, is someone else who can score. Just mind blowing to me that there seemed to be more pressing needs at the moment and when this was a pressing need it was ignored until the deadline, just a head scratcher. There just has to be a second shoe to drop, otherwise I don't understand it. I was never a Cernak fan, reminded me of Aki Berg just a little too much so losing him isn't much, and we get the better pick which is gravy. Any idea what the conditions are yet?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
At first I was wondering WTF, but considering the cost I think it makes a lot of sense. Worst case LA misses playoffs and the cost of moving up two rounds was Cernak. Highest cost would be LA making a deep run with Bishop contributing which would make it worth while as well. Definitely does not address the top need of the kings, but does not hurt anything at all either.

One thing that I do not want to see is if Bishop earns playoff starts over Quick and Quick could get upset. He needs to know he is still the man going forward.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
At first I was wondering WTF, but considering the cost I think it makes a lot of sense. Worst case LA misses playoffs and the cost of moving up two rounds was Cernak. Highest cost would be LA making a deep run with Bishop contributing which would make it worth while as well. Definitely does not address the top need of the kings, but does not hurt anything at all either.

One thing that I do not want to see is if Bishop earns playoff starts over Quick and Quick could get upset. He needs to know he is still the man going forward.

Or he needs to understand this was done because of his health.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Friday I suggested that if Quick came back Saturday and looked good, LA may look to deal Budaj. Just didn't think it'd be for Bishop.

I'm fine with the deal if Bishop plays better than Budaj. Losing Cernak is the ? in this deal, but LA has drafted 6 dmen in the last 2 drafts and Cernak seems to still have the most work ahead. Kids like Clague, Moverare, Friend and especially Reddekopp may have made Cernak expendable. I understand he was a 2nd round pick and DL has been quite benevolent in dealing their picks and prospects lately. Hopefully it works out better than the Sekara deal.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
It could be considered mismanagement if the cap space that Bishop now sits in somehow prevents us from getting an F. If we end up NOT getting an F, we will probably never know.

Still have $3,092,538 cap space, think Patrick Kane is biggest caphit player this year, his cap hit today is $2,450,000 so Kings have cap space to get any forward and then some.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
After awhile to process it, I don't hate it and kind of like it. Though I think it should've happened way before the deadline and I still think a far more pressing need at the moment, if we're buying this deadline, is someone else who can score. Just mind blowing to me that there seemed to be more pressing needs at the moment and when this was a pressing need it was ignored until the deadline, just a head scratcher. There just has to be a second shoe to drop, otherwise I don't understand it. I was never a Cernak fan, reminded me of Aki Berg just a little too much so losing him isn't much, and we get the better pick which is gravy. Any idea what the conditions are yet?
If they would have acquired Bishop earlier I think his cap hit would have been bigger.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I like Bishop and actually wish they could resign him. Won't happen tho.

All the talk about Quick needing less games to prolong his career is true and concerning.

I still feel like LA is going to end up with R. Miller as a back up next year if the price is right. Makes to much sense.

Wonder what the goalie prospect look like for the up coming draft too.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think with limited options out there at forward, DL wont overpay for a rental.

At this point I don't expect much offensive help.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Well it looks like we are buyers again this season. I get it though we are a few points out of the wildcard spot and our top guys are all in their prime. Wonder who Dean is going to get.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Well it looks like we are buyers again this season. I get it though we are a few points out of the wildcard spot and our top guys are all in their prime. Wonder who Dean is going to get.

Out of what is out there Sharp seems the best....but at what cost?

Iginla
Parenteau
Stafford
Vrbata

Maybe if the price is right.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
If LA can move Gabby, even for picks it would free up space. I would even be fine holding some salary. I like the Bishop move. So we moved an expendable d man, regardless that he was a second rounder, he is a player and not a number. An undrafted second rounded is potential, a drafted second rounder without much hype or is too much work is better in someone else's camp. Just because he was a second doesn't mean we stand by him through thick and thin because the Sekera trade didn't work out. Stay realistic.. it's like giving up on ever dating a blonde because the last blonde wanted to move to Edmonton...Play the hand your dealt. What is DL supposed to do, sit on his hands. His job is on the line so he needs to position LA to win now.. sure yesteryear would have been nice for a goalie upgrade but perhaps Yzeeman wanted to wait....His choice

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I think sharp is at the top of the list Futa was just there the other day. I am hoping for Tartar or Vanek however we haven't even been scouting them much. I also see a deal with the flyer for del zotto or streit I don't think we role 3 rookies in the playoffs on the back end

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Out of what is out there Sharp seems the best....but at what cost?

Iginla
Parenteau
Stafford
Vrbata

Maybe if the price is right.
If the Kings are going big, then Kane and possibly JVR would be considerations as well.

Both are signed through next season and would probably require one of Muzzin/Martinez going the other way.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think sharp is at the top of the list Futa was just there the other day. I am hoping for Tartar or Vanek however we haven't even been scouting them much. I also see a deal with the flyer for del zotto or streit I don't think we role 3 rookies in the playoffs on the back end

Vanek is probably to much as a rental.

Tatar would be a good add. Needs to be a hockey trade tho.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
If the Kings are going big, then Kane and possibly JVR would be considerations as well.

Both are signed through next season and would probably require one of Muzzin/Martinez going the other way.

I just can't see Kane in LA with this management.

JVR is interesting but seems to be streaky and in a slump.

At this point I'm wondering if Brodzinski should get a look.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The way Muzzin has played I'd rather trade him than Martinez. Muzzin would probably also return more as well.

DOSKI

Apr 24, 2016
I just can't see Kane in LA with this management. JVR is interesting but seems to be streaky and in a slump.

At this point I'm wondering if Brodzinski should get a look.

Yeah, that would be cool. Play him with Kempe?

Considering Lombardi's original team creation scheme, isn't it possible he's going back to his fundamentals: (re)build from the goal, to D corp, then up thru the centers? Wingers are the spice in Lombardi's cook book. Not the meat and potatoes.

If the team is working from that fundamental concept - and Lombardi pretty much confirmed it during his conference call yesterday - then he's filled in the goalie boxes admirably. And he's not necessarily looking for a deal on a winger. Probably doesn't see the current suspects available through a trade as filling the "Kopitar LW" box long term, especially with expansion draft OTW.

The defense, three or four rookies deep, is just now starting to shape up. Having two recent Vezina finalists backing them up will only reduce the pressure differential between hands and sticks - for both D and F groups. Basically, every player (except for a few vets) was trying to win games on their own every time they touched the puck... not many of those players in history much less on NHL rosters.

Rookie D - and D with less than 200 NHL games in hand are rookies - are making better decisions and moving puck up ice with solid passing skills. The old guys and new guys are starting to understand how and where to play with each other. Now F and D need to play as tighter 5 man unit, creating shorter (thus faster) passing lanes. Two number one goalies can provide cover. Wouldn't be surprised to see D freed up to join attacks sooner in the games, now.

Lombardi is likely to keep current D group together unless another team desperate for a #2 thru #4 D (aka Martinez) "offers a (rental) winger too good to pass up."
Or a team needs to clear cap for different deal... both scenarios unlikely because of expansion draft.

Playoff scenario - fundamental goal out Kings defensive structure, play puck keep away, pound the other teams, break them down.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Lol at this thread. Everyone jumps off the bridge in the first three or so pages, then everyone climbs back on.

LOL

Klonopins are a hell of a drug.

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
The fact that Bishop was available at that value is shocking, the fact that Lombardi got the deal done is a testament to his ability to find deals unconventionally and relentlessly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad