Kings News: Kings announce new radio home (5 Years @ AM 790 KABC)

I listen to it daily in my car (sports talk). Why go through the hassle of calling it up on the phone, enduring signal drops, buffering, etc when I can punch 1 button on the car radio? :huh:

I've had zero issues with buffering or signal problems listening to Kings games on iheartradio. I also listen to Sirius and TuneIn everyday in my car and at work through my phone. I open the app when I get in my car and it automatically connects via Bluetooth. That's one button for me too. Aside from Kings games, I have zero interest in what is on the radio dial. AM is filled with political blowhards and the sports talk is generally focused on Lakers and Dodgers of which I have zero interest. FM has a bunch of crap music. The radio will likely be gone in the next ten years or will be a shell of what it once was.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
And from what I read, the Kings are actually getting paid now, as opposed to paying to be on the radio.

What's a bit odd to me about this is the fact that Cumulus has apparently done quite a bit of cost cutting at their LA stations (KABC/KLOS) over the past few years; and yet, now they're actually paying the Kings (and they still have to pay the hosts whose slots the Kings will take over)?? They must really think the Kings will draw a lot of listeners/ad revenue.

Anyway, overall this is great news; KABC has a wider signal than KTLK/KEIB did...and they actually broadcast in HD, to boot! Nick Nickson's voice in high fidelity, "yay"...

Captain Mittens*

What's a bit odd to me about this is the fact that Cumulus has apparently done quite a bit of cost cutting at their LA stations (KABC/KLOS) over the past few years; and yet, now they're actually paying the Kings (and they still have to pay the hosts whose slots the Kings will take over)?? They must really think the Kings will draw a lot of listeners/ad revenue.

Anyway, overall this is great news; KABC has a wider signal than KTLK/KEIB did...and they actually broadcast in HD, to boot! Nick Nickson's voice in high fidelity, "yay"...

KABC did lose the Dodgers. They are probably trying to get back in to sports

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
What are the ratings like for Kings games? I imagine they get a huge bump during the Playoffs as games start during LA drive time but what about during the regular season?

Captain Mittens*

What are the ratings like for Kings games? I imagine they get a huge bump during the Playoffs as games start during LA drive time but what about during the regular season?

With the way radio ratings are done, it's impossible to tell. They are done anything like tv ratings are

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

The last article I can find about the ratings for Kings games is in 2013. And they are not very good.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ill-minuscule-also-march-madness-nba-on-espn/
The defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have averaged a 0.63 rating on Fox Sports West this season, up 110% from the comparable number of games last season, but still one of the lowest averages in the league. For some perspective, the Lakers and Clippers averaged a 4.3 and 1.5, respectively, through the NBA All-Star break. (Sports Business Journal)
Which is why it was so impressive to get the new contract for TV at such an increase.

Captain Mittens*

The last article I can find about the ratings for Kings games is in 2013. And they are not very good.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ill-minuscule-also-march-madness-nba-on-espn/

Which is why it was so impressive to get the new contract for TV at such an increase.

The increase is two fold.
1) The Kings success
2) Fox doesn't want another to lost another team to it's own cable channel

But #2 was the real answer. Fox already lost the two most popular teams in SoCal to Time Warner and then there is the Pac 12 network...

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
The iheartradio app is absolute trash.

I'm curious to hear why you think this. I have been using it for 2 seasons now without issues...
TuneIn radio apps are trash... Cant believe I paid $.99 for that app, it cut out every 30 sec and the feed was delayed by about 10-15 min...

Thanks for the heads up OP, Only games I get to watch are weekend games since I work weekday nights and the radio feed is my source of hockey while at work...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad