Kimmo Timonen is building a four million dollar sauna in Kuopio

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
078ce6ed635547e78af2f8e6d6b5999b.jpg

Near Kuopio city centre, in Bellanranta a new giant sauna complex will be built. It will be a combination of the recent Allas seapool and Löyly saunacentre in Helsinki, featuring three different kind of saunas. It will be an unique sauna project for it takes also the needs of boaters in mind.

"This kind of thing Kuopio has lacked. I am very excited that I get to be in developing Kuopio", Timonen, 43, said.

Welcome to both the provost and the tourist. Kuopio, a proud city of the Savonians (who include GM Jarmo Kekäläinen, chief Olli Jokinen and the Kapanen clan who run the local club Kalevan Pallo with Scott Hartnell) is perhaps best known for the local delicacy kalakukko, fish cock. Sami Kapanen bought a house in new the Islanders Town of Kuopio. Jarmo Kekäläinen build his summer cottage also in Kuopio's vicinity.

It is an interesting new dynamic with these NHL millionaires returning in numbers, along with the American dollar. They've had to compromise our traditional values during their journey so the real question is do the old qualities of camaraderie still prevail? How will local populace react when the new unorthodox money is now creating Kuopio of the future in the image of these prodigal sons. No one expected the once shared time lost or that they one day return as strangers.

"Create deeds, illuminate lands. But when you see that winter has departed from here, I pray, I request, return."

Eino Leino

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
3 types? Steam, far infrared, and?

What type is most popular in Finland?

Wood-burning sauna is the most popular with electric sauna as the more urban option. Smoke saunas are a more luxurious variant for they take time to heat up properly and can burn to the ground more easily.

The three sauna projects mentioned in this thread are part of this decade's new wave of urban sauna experience in Finland. As these bigger complexes are build around the country they are also landmarks and places of power for those who built them. For example the Vikings actor Jasper Pääkkönen is behind the Löyly which is located on Helsinki seafront while the Allas Seapool also near sea was crowdfunded and Kimmo Timonen is now part of this 'Saana' project which is tied to the local lake area. So the NHL is if not actively at least through the long game changing the landscape from which these players where drafted from.

I think is fairly important to keep in mind all kinds of chains of events, especially when you consider the recent narrative around next season's regular season games overseas, with some claiming that NHL would have nothing to gain from the Nordic countries any more.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The Finns do enjoy their saunas.

A friend of mine went to Finland on vacation and he said that he found out that most homes have saunas/steam rooms in them.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
The Finns do enjoy their saunas.

A friend of mine went to Finland on vacation and he said that he found out that most homes have saunas/steam rooms in them.

It would be extremely rare to have a steam room but yes just about everyone has their own sauna or at the very least a public one in the apartment building

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It would be extremely rare to have a steam room but yes just about everyone has their own sauna or at the very least a public one in the apartment building

Doh. I was close.

To be fair, this trip was like 20 years ago. I could be remembering incorrectly what he told me.

Oops.

Reactions: The Pale King

joujou

Jul 23, 2017
The Finns even built saunas on the front lines during the winter war. Russia was so jelly

Take that Stalin!

Yeah and do you remember what happened last time when sauna world championship were held?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad