KHL Season 2018/2019

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
WEV Lions (Austria) - Spartak 2-22. Wtf is this WEV Lions team?.. 23-2 now.

Ah, I see, it's Austrian 4th division team.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's like there is a curse over Omsk this season. The rink might collapse abd who knows when they are going bsck home.

And now their number one goalie Rämö is out. Who knows how long.. Rämö has been strugling with injuries these recent years.
He also stated that he only wanted to play in Omsk. I guess he is on his way out. But it's not like Omsk can't find a goalie. Those are easier to come by than some other positions.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
What the puck is going on in Jaroslavl?

First they kick Talbot and Kozun out. If rumors are to be trusted David Desharnais is next on the line.

I think Kvartalnov knows what he is doing, but still... All this seems pretty, how should is say it, russian..

Edit: Some additional info: now it seems that Kozun is staying with the team after all and Desharnais is leaving. And this is ofc because the already have max number of imports. Terrible management...

Last edited:

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
He also stated that he only wanted to play in Omsk. I guess he is on his way out. But it's not like Omsk can't find a goalie. Those are easier to come by than some other positions.

Rämö is reported to be out for 6 months. That's a huge blow to Omsk. Rämö had potential to be the best goalie in the league.

I'll have to give some sympathy to Omsk this season with all these setbacks...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What the puck is going on in Jaroslavl?

First they kick Talbot and Kozun out. If rumors are to be trusted David Desharnais is next on the line.

I think Kvartalnov knows what he is doing, but still... All this seems pretty, how should is say it, russian..

Edit: Some additional info: now it seems that Kozun is staying with the team after all and Desharnais is leaving. And this is ofc because the already have max number of imports. Terrible management...
Well, they didn't kick Kozun or Talbot out, they simply became UFAs and, in Kozun's case, that's most likely his own fault as he was asking for too much money (that's why nobody signed him) and came back to Loko when they settled on a reasonable sum. Talbot, on the other hand, is terrible and the only mismanagement was keeping him for 17/18 season. At this point he is 3rd line center on a team like Loko at best, not to mention it would take away spots from Loko's young guys, they definitely did the right thing letting him go.

Regarding Desharnais, the situation is trickier but oh well, they decided he wasn't a fit (a fair assessment) and Avangard scooped him up in seconds and that's exactly the kind of player they needed. It gets them Sundstrom and Desharnais down the middle, considering the plethora of talented wingers Avangard has, is one hell of a tandem.

Overall, I really don't think those moves were all that crazy.

Ramo's situation is pretty sad but again, maybe it's not that terrible. They should be more than fine with Bobkov in goal in the regular season but surely their hopes in the PO could be way higher with Ramo.

Simple hockey

Aug 21, 2018
Well, they didn't kick Kozun or Talbot out, they simply became UFAs and, in Kozun's case, that's most likely his own fault as he was asking for too much money (that's why nobody signed him) and came back to Loko when they settled on a reasonable sum. Talbot, on the other hand, is terrible and the only mismanagement was keeping him for 17/18 season. At this point he is 3rd line center on a team like Loko at best, not to mention it would take away spots from Loko's young guys, they definitely did the right thing letting him go.

Regarding Desharnais, the situation is trickier but oh well, they decided he wasn't a fit (a fair assessment) and Avangard scooped him up in seconds and that's exactly the kind of player they needed. It gets them Sundstrom and Desharnais down the middle, considering the plethora of talented wingers Avangard has, is one hell of a tandem.

Overall, I really don't think those moves were all that crazy.

Ramo's situation is pretty sad but again, maybe it's not that terrible. They should be more than fine with Bobkov in goal in the regular season but surely their hopes in the PO could be way higher with Ramo.

Simple hockey

Aug 21, 2018
Let’s correct the record, Kozun was signed to a contract extension in March. So he was not a free agent. As for management i will leave that to other people to talk about. As for Kozun he is a three time all star an bronze medal winner he clearly was the straw that stirs the drink for his teem. Perhaps it is as simple as not realizing what u have until u r about to lose it

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Fair enough, my bad. However, I still think there is more of a backstory to this because 1) Kozun didn't sign anywhere else; 2) the fact he came back to Loko after being let go shows divorce wasn't particularly bitter.

Also, there were rumblings about Loko trying to trade away Apalkov, maybe inability to do so forced their hand a little.

Simple hockey

Aug 21, 2018
Fair enough, my bad. However, I still think there is more of a backstory to this because 1) Kozun didn't sign anywhere else; 2) the fact he came back to Loko after being let go shows divorce wasn't particularly bitter.

Also, there were rumblings about Loko trying to trade away Apalkov, maybe inability to do so forced their hand a little.
Again let’s get the record straight Kozun had know choice he has a valid contract once loko decided not to buy him out an told him to report he had know choice in this. As for bitter we’ll if anybody should be bitter it should be Kozun they disrespect him all summer bring in another player to replace him only to cut that player after what three preseason games. Crazy, as for back story I’ll give u one look at the coach enough said.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Rämö is reported to be out for 6 months. That's a huge blow to Omsk. Rämö had potential to be the best goalie in the league.

I'll have to give some sympathy to Omsk this season with all these setbacks...
Yes, 6 montgs sucks big time at any stage of the career. And I expected Omsk to be a good rival in the East. Let's see if they can get over all the turbulence.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So a loss to Davos today makes Minsk record in pre-season friendlies 0-7-1-0. If I were a Minsk fan I would start getting pretty worried.

Most probably expected it to be that way but it has to be pointed out, Shane Price is one hell of a signing for Davos. 6 goals in 2 days in the tournament in Riga.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
So a loss to Davos today makes Minsk record in pre-season friendlies 0-7-1-0. If I were a Minsk fan I would start getting pretty worried.

Most probably expected it to be that way but it has to be pointed out, Shane Price is one hell of a signing for Davos. 6 goals in 2 days in the tournament in Riga.

Any reports on Pulkkinen after that hattrick he scored a while ago?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Any reports on Pulkkinen after that hattrick he scored a while ago?
Not what you would like to hear, probably. I think Pulkkinen is one of the more overhyped signings but there are as many opinions as there are people about him. Surely he is a big threat on the PP (that's how he scored 2 of 3 goals in that game as well) but generally, I think most people expect too much. It would be a huge success if he scored 40 points.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
Not what you would like to hear, probably. I think Pulkkinen is one of the more overhyped signings but there are as many opinions as there are people about him. Surely he is a big threat on the PP (that's how he scored 2 of 3 goals in that game as well) but generally, I think most people expect too much. It would be a huge success if he scored 40 points.

Well, I'm secretly hoping that Pulkkinen "won't see the christmas" at Minsk. Jokerit is his youth team and fans would love to see him back home. So if he fails to contribute at Minsk, there might be a slight chance that Pulky is headin' home this year.

I have to admit that he's kinda like blind spot to me. I choose to ignore if doesn't score that much. Just want him back home!

Reactions: Exarz

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
Malamud said on Twitter that the KHL will change the point system for this season.

No info about this on the Khl web page. Atleast not in english.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow, that is tremendously stupid. But sure, who doesn't want less incentive to win in regulation, right? Playing 3rd periods with everything to lose and nothing to gain FTW!

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Any reason to change the point system? I can't see any positive side to NHLs point system vs 3-2-1-0, like litterally none.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Major stupidity by the KHL if they copycat the silly NHL points system. I hope they will still change their mind about this – that is, keep things as they were. The NHL points system promotes lazy, laid-back play – there's not enough urgency in the NHL in tied games. Yeah, it benefits weaker teams like my Slovan team in the KHL, but even so, I vehemently oppose it. :thumbd:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Any reason to change the point system? I can't see any positive side to NHLs point system vs 3-2-1-0, like litterally none.

NHL is a very even league, while KHL has a lot of disparity between teams. With 3 point/win rich teams become even richer, getting a lot of points for their victories. With NHL point system the teams disparity is going to be a little bit less significant. This system is actually better for the KHL, while the old (3 point) system would be better for the NHL.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
You are right but this is an artificial solution which will not change anything in the long run but just make it "seem so". We could propose shooting SKA players down after every goal they score - this would make the game more entertaining and even but why we shouldn't do it doesn't even require an explanation. KHL should be looking to improve lesser teams by increasing revenues and sharing them equally. Implement an actual salary cap, help clubs earn more money, put some restrictive measures to prevent them from going on spending sprees etc... Telling teams that they will now get 2pts instead of 3pts doesn't make the league any more competitive - it just makes it look as though it was.

You're basically saying that we should punish better teams for being so. Speaking of better teams... I'm really excited about Avtomobilist. For years, they were one of those teams for me with a potential to become iconic sides. In the end, we're talking about one of the most important regions of the country here. It was a real shame to see Yekaterinburg in shambles when it comes to hockey. I'm so looking forward to having Lokomotiv & Avtomobilist type of finals in the future. Though if Soviet heritage carries on, I guess we will never see more than five or six teams that always meet in Gagarin Cup finals.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You are right but this is an artificial solution which will not change anything in the long run but just make it "seem so". We could propose shooting SKA players down after every goal they score - this would make the game more entertaining and even but why we shouldn't do it doesn't even require an explanation. KHL should be looking to improve lesser teams by increasing revenues and sharing them equally. Implement an actual salary cap, help clubs earn more money, put some restrictive measures to prevent them from going on spending sprees etc... Telling teams that they will now get 2pts instead of 3pts doesn't make the league any more competitive - it just makes it look as though it was.

You're basically saying that we should punish better teams for being so. Speaking of better teams... I'm really excited about Avtomobilist. For years, they were one of those teams for me with a potential to become iconic sides. In the end, we're talking about one of the most important regions of the country here. It was a real shame to see Yekaterinburg in shambles when it comes to hockey. I'm so looking forward to having Lokomotiv & Avtomobilist type of finals in the future. Though if Soviet heritage carries on, I guess we will never see more than five or six teams that always meet in Gagarin Cup finals.

Look at EPL, Premiera, Bundesliga - it's always the same teams, that compete for the top spots, and the tournaments are still very popular. It's just the nature of European professional leagues to have a lot of disparity. I'd say, though, if the KHL had like 12 teams, like the Soviet Highest League, the tournament could be way more interesting, but it won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad