Keyboard recommendations?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I am currently in the market for a new keyboard. I really liked my K70 Lux but the usb cable shorted on me and upon further research it looks as though Corsair is infamous for poor quality control so I want to stay away from them if possible.
I have a budget of around $80 and want to keep it simple. I just need it to be backlit and would prefer Cherry MX Browns (Reds would suffice) or the equivalent. I don't want to run into the same problem with the QC so I'm here to ask you what you would recommend given theses specifications.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know but depending on how urgent it is on sites like newegg you'll often see keyboards in daily/weekly sales at significant discounts. Like last year when I was building a new PC after Christmas I got an $80 Roccat keyboard for $30.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2019-11-5_11-21-31.jpeg

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hahaha came in to say Corsair. I've never had issues for 11 years of Corsair products.

Logitech and Steelseries are great. Coolermaster is a good budget option as well.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Hahaha came in to say Corsair. I've never had issues for 11 years of Corsair products.

Logitech and Steelseries are great. Coolermaster is a good budget option as well.
I do like the way the Corsair's feel and they seem to come with a lot of features especially for the prices but I read too many concerning things for me to keep purchasing from them.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I really don't know how they are still in business tbh.

Used to be great but they never really did eCommerce well to supplement their brick and mortar.
I asked about 3 other keyboards on their site and none were for sale anymore. I asked how I would know what was for sale so I dont waste anymore time and her response was they wouldn't know until the order was placed. What a waste of time. Never buying from there again.

Sep 19, 2008
In simpler times, you would have been burned at the stake for such a bad take.
It's true. Their main appeal is colors. What is so special about a mechanical keyboard that a regular ol wired or wireless Logitech can't do?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It's true. Their main appeal is colors. What is so special about a mechanical keyboard that a regular ol wired or wireless Logitech can't do?
The feedback from the keystrokes are far more comfortable and accurate than a membrane keyboard. Sure, if you only type a few hours a week thats no big issue. I'm on a keyboard all day at work, and often enough in my spare time. I can't imagine the strain on the fingers if i spend that all on a membrane keyboard. Not to mention, on average a Mechanical keyboard lasts for approximately 5x the amount of keystrokes as a membrane one.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I like my mechanical keyboards, because it's possible to swap out the caps. The latest one I have has a detachable USB C cable, with browns, just waiting for my caps to drop ship.

My IBM model M on the other hand...I would really like to take to work, but I work in a cubicle, and likely would be murdered by the end of the day by my co-workers. I don't know how people survived the office in the early 80's.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I like my mechanical keyboards, because it's possible to swap out the caps. The latest one I have has a detachable USB C cable, with browns, just waiting for my caps to drop ship.

My IBM model M on the other hand...I would really like to take to work, but I work in a cubicle, and likely would be murdered by the end of the day by my co-workers. I don't know how people survived the office in the early 80's.
Most offices played the radio in the 80s so it was all kinda drowned out. I miss the hum and drum of the clickity keyboards at work. You could actually tell if people were working or playing games just by the sound. *LOL*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad