Kevyn Adams GM thread

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If things turn around for this team under Adams…this was the day it started. Not with the firing. With the press conference. I didn’t know he had any of that in him….hell I wasn’t sure he believed in half the things he talked about before today. He sounded like I’ve needed someone there to sound for a long time. I know he has to do the work…but I swear I believed every word he said today.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
If things turn around for this team under Adams…this was the day it started. Not with the firing. With the press conference. I didn’t know he had any of that in him….hell I wasn’t sure he believed in half the things he talked about before today. He sounded like I’ve needed someone there to sound for a long time. I know he has to do the work…but I swear I believed every word he said today.
I had to do a triple take to see who wrote this

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
When the governor of sarcastic Sabres takes is saying things like this, you know it was a good presser.

It was the best presser I've heard a Sabres GM give. Period.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In looking at last summer, I think a few key decisions really burned the team:

Last summer, Having a chance to reinvent the bottom six, Adam chose to bring back Okposo, Girgensons, and Jost at a premium cost.

7M in total.

Stillman/Bryson made a around 3.2M total and played 54 games or so combined.

The handling of Levi is obviously a sore point here. Not having a veteran G we could spell UPL with down the stretch hurt.

And not adding a forward this summer was an obvious problem as well.

And the clifton/Johnson signings were underwhelming as well.

Overall, Adams has to be a ton better to move this team forward this summer.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
In looking at last summer, I think a few key decisions really burned the team:

Last summer, Having a chance to reinvent the bottom six, Adam chose to bring back Okposo, Girgensons, and Jost at a premium cost.

7M in total.

Stillman/Bryson made a around 3.2M total and played 54 games or so combined.

The handling of Levi is obviously a sore point here. Not having a veteran G we could spell UPL with down the stretch hurt.

And not adding a forward this summer was an obvious problem as well.

And the clifton/Johnson signings were underwhelming as well.

Overall, Adams has to be a ton better to move this team forward this summer.
Yes, great presser but KA himself has had a big hand in why they stink. He actually made a good decision to NOT add a vet goalie, but then it seemed the organization was intent on making Levi the starter and UPL the 3rd option. Sure Granato could be making those choices, but KA could've/should've sent Levi down like most rookie goalies in the history of the game.

KA shored up the D-corps depth with Clifton and Johnson. No they weren't great adds but they were WAY better than the depth before that. I give KA some slack only because he likely couldn't get a bigger/better vet to join the team. But then later, acquiring Byram just doesn't make sense, doesn't add what they were missing, makes the team EVEN younger. What? Why?

KA neglected the FW group, kept guys he should've cycled out, relied on other retreads to fill Quinn's spot, traded Mitts, etc.

He said the right things today, but he's still part of the problem. A good HC can make up the slack to a good degree, but the GM has to shift gears too, and get meaner tougher faster guys.

Reactions: Tatanka

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
After this presser, KA had better deliver, otherwise, his ass is gone next year (that’s my belief).

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'll offer up one thing the team can do to improve the overall product instantly and it'll cost next to nothing.

Pass around a damn mic so people watching the pressers can actually hear the questions being asked. Handheld, lavalier, hell...steal one of the NFL's directional mics and just have an intern point the thing at whoever is talking.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'm glad to see it wasn't just me that was impressed and encouraged by the press conference. I get that words are just that, and he needs to go do it. But I never liked his tenor and philosophy towards the "now" at any point in his tenure, and that sentiment that came out in press conferences was acted out in his decision making, and even reflected in statements the coaches and players regularly made. I never want to hear a Sabre player caution me about the team's age again.

Today was a real shift. Not one person has stood at the podium in a Sabre crest and sounded like an honest-to-god NHL GM since the good old days. That happened today

I don't know if he'll be able to do it but this is the first time I truly believe he will try

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I still think Adams is a clown. “I think Don Granato is an excellent coach.” “I believe in the people we have in the locker room.” “ We weren’t good enough.” These three statements cannot be aligned. Either the coach wasn’t excellent or the group isn’t good enough. If the coach is excellent, the you sh#t the bed on the roster. Don’t tell me what you believe, because I don’t care. The numbers are what they are. The roster isn’t good enough, it is poorly constructed and you signed two long term bets that are not looking good and traded away a player who found his game, wanted to be here for a redundant lhd. I don’t care what he believes because he hasn’t given anyone any reason to believe he has any idea how to do his job any better than select few posters on this board. I get that people want to believe this was an indication of things changing. I don’t. Sounds like the same old same old with anew tag line.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad