Proposal: Kevin Shattenkirk for David Krejci

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperGM17

Jun 17, 2015
British Columbia
So he's basically the Erikson replacement? (Different playstyle of course)

Yes, except he's signed to a 1 year deal right?
I also think that Boston values defence over offence, especially when you consider Krug is arguably their best center! In all honesty though, I think Shattenkirk is a #2 d-man on some nights, and a #4 on others and for a player that is as inconsistent as that, Krejci is worth more than just Shatts! Krej is good enough to be a #1 center. So team needs are both there, but STL needs to add a 2nd or prospect and i think the values would be even!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I also think that Boston values defence over offence, especially when you consider Krug is arguably their best center! In all honesty though, I think Shattenkirk is a #2 d-man on some nights, and a #4 on others and for a player that is as inconsistent as that, Krejci is worth more than just Shatts! Krej is good enough to be a #1 center. So team needs are both there, but STL needs to add a 2nd or prospect and i think the values would be even!

5 year deal.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

Backes got an expensive 5 year deal. One of the media guys moved to fast on the news. If you need a "shut down" center who plays the front of the net, Backes does great but won't generate much offense for the rest of his line. On the wing he can really go after the big hits and skate hard towards the net, he can score on the rush with his wrist shot, and still play great defense but with less tight coverage and more of an open ice makes him dangerous approach.

Shattenkirk's value comes from being a premium level puck mover, and a guy who gets the puck up the ice with purpose and drives it towards the net with the intent of scoring not just hoping for a lucky bounce. His ability to play defense is limited to the fact that he can't intimidate anyone from trying to skate through him or dominate a board battle. He was also on a team that coached players to back into the zone and try and play a mental trap with the attacking forward and use stick work to kill the play so they can quickly redistribute the puck instead of get caught out of position playing the body or lose their passing lane trying to recover themselves and hold onto the puck at the same time.

But yeah #2 #4 #1 blah blah blah.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Since Backes is in now. No way do the Bs pay 6 plus for 3 different centers, plus they need a dman

Easy no from the B's. Krecji is a better player, is locked up for 5 years and is one of Boston's key players. You don't trade that for 1 year of Shattenkirk. Even if you could extend Shatty, Blues would have to add a lot I think.

All that being said, Sweeney might do it ; )

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Krejci for Shattenkirk is a total no unless a contract is in place for Shattenkirk to sign.

Why do the Blues posters keep asking for player that you would ask for if Shattenkirk had 4 or 5 years left on a contract. Shattenkirk has 1 year left on his contract and appears to be set on going to FA.

You might get someone to overpay at the TDL but it still won't be guys like Krejci.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
If the Blues weren't interested in giving their captain a 5 year deal, why would they be interested in paying Krecji $7.25m a year until he's 35? Factor in Krecji's recent surgery and it's a total non-starter.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Blues and bruins fans all say no, but honestly it seems like a good fit for both sides.

So tired of hearing the 1 year contract nonsense. Add conditional pick(s) or negotiate with shattenkirk's agent.

If the bruins want to put Backes at wing, they'll be missing out on his strongest asset as a shutdown center. Bergeron/Backes will aggravate the hell out of a lot of teams.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why do the Blues posters keep asking for player that you would ask for if Shattenkirk had 4 or 5 years left on a contract. Shattenkirk has 1 year left on his contract and appears to be set on going to FA.

You might get someone to overpay at the TDL but it still won't be guys like Krejci.

Because Shattenkirk doesn't appear set on going UFA.
The assumption is that he will sign an extension with whoever we trade him to.
We're giving Shattenkirk a lot of say in where we trade him, and that is a big part of the reason Taylor Hall isn't a Blue right now.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Blues don't have the cap space for the deal. There is a reason Armstrong was looking you young players and futures.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If we had wanted to spend big money on an older center, we would have just re-signed David Backes for less, and continued with Stastny as the 1C with Lehtera. Krejci, for better or worse, isn't coming to the Lou.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Shattenkirk wants to go east (he went to college in Boston and it's close enough to his home in New York) and the Blues need a #1 caliber center.

Seems like a match to me.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'd rather see the Blues and the Devils try to workout something like Shatty for Pavel Zacha.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The Blues don't have the cap space for the deal. There is a reason Armstrong was looking you young players and futures.

I'm pretty sure they do. Don't they have over ten million free with only Schwartz and Paajarvi left to sign?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
St Louis would have to add something to even this out. One year of Shattenkirk does not have the same value as Krejci does.

As far as cap space goes, I am pretty sure the Blues have the space for this, as far as I can see even with Krejci minus Shattenkirk, they have a few spots to fill and $10 million in cap space to do it, any problems will come after next season when they have only 11-12 players signed. The problem then will be just signing the players that they want or trading for players that have contracts in place. They have a bunch of work to do but plenty of time to do it, they should be fine with the cap now that Backes and Brouwer have signed with other teams.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm pretty sure they do. Don't they have over ten million free with only Schwartz and Paajarvi left to sign?

Schwartz, Sobotka and our depth forward uses basically all our cap space.

St Louis would have to add something to even this out. One year of Shattenkirk does not have the same value as Krejci does.

As far as cap space goes, I am pretty sure the Blues have the space for this, as far as I can see even with Krejci minus Shattenkirk, they have a few spots to fill and $10 million in cap space to do it, any problems will come after next season when they have only 11-12 players signed. The problem then will be just signing the players that they want or trading for players that have contracts in place. They have a bunch of work to do but plenty of time to do it, they should be fine with the cap now that Backes and Brouwer have signed with other teams.

I'd only add Berglund to balance salary.

A deal like this would be predicated on Shattenkirk signing an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia