Value of: Kevin Hayes

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Larry Brooks, in his most recent Slap Shots article:

"Chances are that if the Rangers make a substantial move leading into Friday’s first round of the entry draft in Dallas, it will involve Kevin Hayes. Multiple sources report the 26-year-old impending Group II free-agent center has attracted significant interest from around the league as general manager Jeff Gorton sifts through various scenarios both connected to and independent of improving the club’s ninth-overall position...

Teams have been nibbling at Spooner, arbitration-eligible and one year away from unrestricted free agency, but it is Hayes, in the very same contractual spot, who has the most value on the market. Coming off a year in which he scored a career-high 25 goals while embracing his role as a matchup center, Hayes will likely command a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $4.75 million per...

The Rangers don’t seem keen on including Hayes in a deal to move up a few spots in the first round. The inference is that if he’s moved, it would be as the centerpiece as a deal to add a righty defenseman. Winnipeg’s Jacob Trouba seems out of reach, but the Flames could be make for an interesting match. There seems to be little interest in dealing for Dougie Hamilton, but, and we have made this point before, the Blueshirts might be able to get Adam Fox, the Harvard defenseman who paired with lefty prospect Ryan Lindgren for Team USA at the past two World Junior tournaments."

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Highly doubt you’d get Hamilton or Trouba for him. I would trade Schultz from Pitt personally. Some Pens fans won’t like it and some Rangers fans won’t like it but that would be my offer if you’re looking for RHD.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

"Chances are that if the Rangers make a substantial move leading into Friday’s first round of the entry draft in Dallas, it will involve Kevin Hayes. Multiple sources report the 26-year-old impending Group II free-agent center has attracted significant interest from around the league as general manager Jeff Gorton sifts through various scenarios both connected to and independent of improving the club’s ninth-overall position...

Teams have been nibbling at Spooner, arbitration-eligible and one year away from unrestricted free agency, but it is Hayes, in the very same contractual spot, who has the most value on the market. Coming off a year in which he scored a career-high 25 goals while embracing his role as a matchup center, Hayes will likely command a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $4.75 million per...

The Rangers don’t seem keen on including Hayes in a deal to move up a few spots in the first round. The inference is that if he’s moved, it would be as the centerpiece as a deal to add a righty defenseman. Winnipeg’s Jacob Trouba seems out of reach, but the Flames could be make for an interesting match. There seems to be little interest in dealing for Dougie Hamilton, but, and we have made this point before, the Blueshirts might be able to get Adam Fox, the Harvard defenseman who paired with lefty prospect Ryan Lindgren for Team USA at the past two World Junior tournaments."

Fox is another undersized offensive Dman, how many of those do we need? Trading Hayes away could be a mistake, not often you can find a good 6'5" 2 way center. I would ask for a big return.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Barring MASSIVE overpayment which cannot be said no to, e.g., Hayes + pick + one more solid piece for MacKinnon, which is not happening, i't just an example of what it would take, Hayes stayes. He is not asking 10mil a yr or other ridiculous number, methinks so there is no reason to move him. He now graduates to our 2C, one in such pivot slot for most of the league. He has good north-south speed, decent + lateral east west movement, size and strength. A taller pivot who can move, shuts down competition and potted 25 on a crap team is on the verge of excellence. He needs only continue improving even better at what he is doing now, and like most Cs, get better at faceoffs.
I say again, pay the man, Hayes stays, lock him up 5-6 year deal, minimum NTCs and no NMC as co. policy going forward.

If Brooks is suggesting anything else, IMO he is wrong.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hayes has weird value. I really don’t want to trade him because after the deadline he was one of the guys who really stepped up and became a leader on ice. Hayes had near PPG production along with near Selke caliber defense, he was dominant. He’s the perfect guy to be a shutdown C and he’s not exactly old yet, I’d rather resign him so he can take the pressure off our other C’s defensively (Lias, Chytil.) I’d rather just get picks+prospects back for Zucc/Spooner/Namestnikov. Unless Hayes wants a big contract. I doubt any other team would pay the price we would want though (a pick around #15)

Edit-so apparently he wants 4.75 x 5. I’d do this easily, but Brooks (Rangers insider) has said there’s a good chance of Hayes (along with Vesey and Spooner) being traded

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I think Calgary would be a legit thought if Hayes was moved. College line-mate of Johnny G and coming into his own as a good matchup C that can provide secondary offense. Maybe a swap with Bennett or Fox with some sort of + from Calgary negotiated to even out the value... on the simple side.

But I think there is an possibility between the two teams for something more grandiose. Calgary has their core 3 of Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and pretty solid D that they've spent a lot of assets and cap to sure up in the last couple seasons. Rangers are at the opposite end of the spectrum with the likes of Zucc, Namest, Spooner and Hayes as legit options to step in a help a team compete. Rangers also have lots of picks that can be thrown around with Calgary short on picks this season and next. Something big like that could enter Valimaki/Andersson territory.

Just fun speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Hayes has weird value. I really don’t want to trade him because after the deadline he was one of the guys who really stepped up and became a leader on ice. Hayes had near PPG production along with near Selke caliber defense, he was dominant. He’s the perfect guy to be a shutdown C and he’s not exactly old yet, I’d rather resign him so he can take the pressure off our other C’s defensively (Lias, Chytil.) I’d rather just get picks+prospects back for Zucc/Spooner/Namestnikov. Unless Hayes wants a big contract. I doubt any other team would pay the price we would want though (a pick around #15)

Edit-so apparently he wants 4.75 x 5. I’d do this easily, but Brooks (Rangers insider) has said there’s a good chance of Hayes (along with Vesey and Spooner) being traded

yes and at the same time he is not very fast or physical and the likes of Howden and Andersson are developing into good 2 way center.

What is the deal with Sam Bennett why hasn't he produced better numbers in NHL?

I would like to package Hayes, Vesey and DeAngelo to Calgary for Rasmus Andersson, Ruzicka, Bennett and maybe a draft pick.

I think this helps both teams, Calgary becomes a more legit playoff team and Rangers get a bit younger with possibly higher potential.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Barring MASSIVE overpayment which cannot be said no to, e.g., Hayes + pick + one more solid piece for MacKinnon, which is not happening, i't just an example of what it would take, Hayes stayes. He is not asking 10mil a yr or other ridiculous number, methinks so there is no reason to move him. He now graduates to our 2C, one in such pivot slot for most of the league. He has good north-south speed, decent + lateral east west movement, size and strength. A taller pivot who can move, shuts down competition and potted 25 on a crap team is on the verge of excellence. He needs only continue improving even better at what he is doing now, and like most Cs, get better at faceoffs.
I say again, pay the man, Hayes stays, lock him up 5-6 year deal, minimum NTCs and no NMC as co. policy going forward.

If Brooks is suggesting anything else, IMO he is wrong.

Hayes did get better on faceoffs, his faceoff% was very good last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad