Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes signed: (2 years/$2.6m)

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Would have preferred 3-4 years, but this is a great value. Now if only we could dump Nash's $7.8M or Girardi/Staal's $5.5M/5.7M we'd have some room to buy a great defenseman or two.

Unfortunately, we're prob looking at flipping Nash for a RHD and then flipping Klien for a F.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
2.6 per year ? I was hoping for less given the off year but let's see what the kid can do

Thats what I thought. Was hoping for less than 2.5. But a couple hundred grand maybe worth it considering it'll make him feel worthy within the team structure. It counts for something knowing he's older and makes relatively the same as JT, not less.

Definitely looking for more from Hayes. He needs to hit the gym, get nasty and come prepared. None of this lackadaisical **** this year. Start becoming more of a pro and consistently force plays like this every game:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wiz wouldn't be an awful gamble

Take a flyer on Wiz if cheap?

Not a bad idea.

I think we have to get rid of some of these DFD though.

There are too many of them. Staal, Girardi, Klein, Holden, McIlrath. Those are five DFD of our 7. Too many. Are we trying to build an offensive line or an NHL defense? Gotta get rid of some of them. Klein makes the most sense to consider trading, as his trade value is probably the highest its been so far in his career. Trading Klein, and signing Wisniewski could make some sense.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
are we sure its per year?

just wondering.

good deal regardless. I prefer the bridge deal than the long term crap people give out like candy.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015

just wondering.

good deal regardless. I prefer the bridge deal than the long term crap people give out like candy.

Of course it's per year. What did you think he's getting 1.3 per season? C'mon.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Also - I want to see Hayes solidify himself into a position this year.

Its nice to have the flexibility but I think its important for his growth now that they give him a set position and he stays at it. I feel his game is much better suited for the wing. Theres a lot less responsibility and the position works to his strengths more.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Somewhere between $4-4.5M I believe.

Edit:
Capgeek has them with ~$4.3M without Skjei or Buch on the roster, but including Clendening.

Had Stamkos hit the UFA market, we could've signed him so long as we traded away Stepan, which couldn't have been hard given his age and production. Never got the chance.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also - I want to see Hayes solidify himself into a position this year.

Its nice to have the flexibility but I think its important for his growth now that they give him a set position and he stays at it. I feel his game is much better suited for the wing. Theres a lot less responsibility and the position works to his strengths more.

He looks lost on the wing. C all the way IMO. Hopefully he can get better on the draws.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hayes did quite a bit better than I thought he would. But....everybody really important is signed now and we have some cap space.

i wouldn't waste it on Wisniewski. Too many injuries and he's a hothead. He's not the best d-man out there right now--that's Luke Schenn. Signing either or them though is most likely is going to come at the expense of McIlrath. Dylan needs to play. Rangers have options and they can bank it for now.

Honestly if I was going to go after a player right now it would be Matt Cullen 1yr. and $1 mil. He's 39 but he still has great wheels and in the right role he showed last year with the Penguins that he can be damned effective. Another pk'er besides.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

just wondering.

Especially for Hayes who needs to prove himself - though if he becomes a force, they may look back at this point and regret that they couldn't get him for longer - and cheaper - considering his play last season. But im sure the Hayes camp is good with 2 years, for that reason. Hes got a lot to prove to himself, the team and the league if he wants to stick around and get paid.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hayes did quite a bit better than I thought he would. But....everybody really important is signed now and we have some cap space.

i wouldn't waste it on Wisniewski. Too many injuries and he's a hothead. He's not the best d-man out there right now--that's Luke Schenn. Signing either or them though is most likely is going to come at the expense of McIlrath. Dylan needs to play. Rangers have options and they can bank it for now.

Honestly if I was going to go after a player right now it would be Matt Cullen 1yr. and $1 mil. He's 39 but he still has great wheels and in the right role he showed last year with the Penguins that he can be damned effective. Another pk'er besides.

Need a PMD.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Need a PMD.

He has a great shot. Not necessarily a top of the line puck mover though. He's missed games with injuries 17 times in 10 NHL seasons including the entirety of last season and he's 32-33 years old. He's not a guy I'd invest in----but if we did definitely for cheap and no multi-year--not with his age and injury history.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Be mindful that Wisnewski can sign an incentive contract since he missed virtually all of last season. Some good upside here.

Any while I'm thinking of it...anyone for giving Brandon Prust a PTO? (and no doubt moving Taylor Glass)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Very happy with this deal as well. Expecting him to put up around 45 points next season, and hopefully 50+ the season after.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Be mindful that Wisnewski can sign an incentive contract since he missed virtually all of last season. Some good upside here.

Any while I'm thinking of it...anyone for giving Brandon Prust a PTO? (and no doubt moving Taylor Glass)

After what he did to Stepan? He can **** off.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Keep in mind that he's also coming off a torn ACL--an injury that even if a player comes back and plays after 9 months or a year often effects that player for at least several more additional months and again he's not exactly a young guy.

On Prust? No--he's washed up. And if he continued to play the kind of game he's known for he's going to get hurt.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not a bad idea.

I think we have to get rid of some of these DFD though.

There are too many of them. Staal, Girardi, Klein, Holden, McIlrath. Those are five DFD of our 7. Too many. Are we trying to build an offensive line or an NHL defense? Gotta get rid of some of them. Klein makes the most sense to consider trading, as his trade value is probably the highest its been so far in his career. Trading Klein, and signing Wisniewski could make some sense.

Klein will be traded at some point. There's no reason not to. Staal and Girardi will be gone at some point too, but getting rid of them will be a lot harder. Holden will be exposed in the expansion draft and will be gone within 2 years.

It will take some time, but if they do it right, the whole team should be in much better shape by this time in 2018.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

They already have a ton of bottom 6 players on the roster though. Holdovers like Lindberg, Fast, Glass, Hrivik (Hayes if you count him as bottom 6) and new additions like Grabner, Gerbe, Jooris. Not really much space or any reason to add another bottom 6 player.

Cullen is probably either going to play another year with the Penguins or retire.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Happy with this deal. Why anyone would prefer a longer term deal for a guy who had the problems Hayes did last season is beyond me. Time to prove himself.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Klein will be traded at some point. There's no reason not to. Staal and Girardi will be gone at some point too, but getting rid of them will be a lot harder. Holden will be exposed in the expansion draft and will be gone within 2 years.

It will take some time, but if they do it right, the whole team should be in much better shape by this time in 2018.

I agree with what you are saying, but if the Rangers want to be competitive this season, I don't think this defense has the potential to be good enough this season. I think out of those 7D, you could have a pretty good group of players in a vacuum, if players play to their potential, but its not a vacuum. The problem of this defense will probably be the lack of points, the lack of skating and the lack of puck moving.

Moving players helps, but we also need to add PMD to this defense. It can't just be getting rid of one or two players. Those players will probably be gone eventually, and McIlrath might be as well, but until the Rangers have some balance between offense and defense with the group of defenseman, the team will struggle.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's still a lot of upside to like with Hayes, especially at this point in his career.

He has a lot to prove, but I'm not as down on him as some--- not after only two years in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad