Kevin Hayes or McNeill?

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I think this is a really good question and I have been wondering about it. Kayes, by most accounts, is having a good season and has improved a lot, and is quietly climbing the org chart. McNeil initially seemed to be on a faster track, but I don't think he has shone yet the way some people expected him to. I don't know what Kayes plans are (i.e. will he stay all 4 years at BC?), but potentially they are both at Rockford next year which would give Kayes the chance to accelerate his development. Hopefully one of these guys does make it within 2 years because Stanbo hasn't been able to fill the hole trade, and I don't see Pirri or Danault as the answer (at least not on a legitimate cup contender). I'm hoping Kayes might surprise to the upside.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Right now, it's easier to say McNeill. More chances to see him play and not much of a project as Kayes is/was.

Still think Kayes will be a good NHLer for us

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
My 2 least favorite prospects...I guess I'd go with Hayes if I have to pick one. Though I think those guys will have a tough time making the team anytime soon with prospects like Danault, Saad and Morin probably standing in their way.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
McNeill's a much more polished player, a better two-way forward. I would say Kayes has an advantage in vision/playmaking.. but overall I'd say McNeill is the better offensive player.

If McNeill played for Portland, everyone would be extremely excited about him because his stats would get a bump. Prince Albert is a much improved team, but McNeill still doesn't play with great linemates, despite leading the team in scoring and PpG.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
I also think it's easy to say McNeill- but I want to see them both in action before I pass judgement

Sometimes Hayes looks smooth yet strong in clips like Hossa-

McNeill looks like a big body and more of a slow Kesler type

I dunno what to make of the two-

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I also think it's easy to say McNeill- but I want to see them both in action before I pass judgement

Sometimes Hayes looks smooth yet strong in clips like Hossa-

McNeill looks like a big body and more of a slow Kesler type

I dunno what to make of the two-

Yeah me too. Kayes hasn't seemed to improve as much as I'd have liked, but there is still hope for him. After being cut and then recalled, McNeil is behind the 8-ball in the WJC and looked a bit tight in the first game. I'll be watching closely to see his progress as he setlles in and the games get more intense. The U.S. game may be a big test for him (as it's the last game before Jenner returns to the line up and he should get a fair bit of ice time).

Last edited:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
McNeil is easier to see in the NHL simply because he's been playing at a high level for longer. He's looked like a 1st line center in his junior league from the day he was drafted. Also, his two-way game at this point is better than Kayes'.

Kayes has been steadily improving for BC, even taking a big leap forward this year. But this is his third season since he was drafted and he's just now starting to look like a 1st liner in his (IMO tougher) league, and that's partially because he's been playing left wing instead of in the middle.

Both are pretty safe bets to make the NHL at this point, but McNeil is definitely the safer one.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I see each developing into a solid third line centers. My opinion is that the only potential in-house solution for the gaping second line center hole is Teuvo.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I love this thread. :hawks have half a dozen prospects to fill 2 top 6 roles. Very good problem to have

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Jimmy Hayes lately has been playing some center for the Hogs, so that makes him, Kevin, McNeill, Danault, Pirri, Kruger, and Teravainen in line for future Hawks center. Certainly will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

TT and Kruger look more like wingers (top and bottom six respectively). That really leaves five prospects for two center spots (three if Bolland prices himself out of reach with the new cap at his next contract). Out of the five, Pirri looks most like a 2C, but any can work their way into that spot. The Hayes brothers seem least likely for center roles, and more likely will be wingers. Kevin will have a difficult time making the Hawks any time within the next 3 years. The most likely three in my mind are Pirri, Danault and McNeill.

I wouldn't mind seeing us package a couple of prospects and/or picks for a real goalie.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NEITHER is top six material -if you are getting excited about bottom sixers-then i pity us in the future as other teams top six level prospects stars for them while our bottom sixers hardly make a dent of significant "difference" ...Lots of first rounders fail to become significant difference -makers -I think itis safe to project neither of these 2 will either...This is not to say both can't help in certain roles as third and fourth liners -buut we usually do not make that much a fuss about such types -McNeill is good at face-offs --so is Hayes---so at least in that area lacking for so many years onour team--at least that "role" player bottom 2 line C is useful ..

McNeill was never much of a good +/- guy till PA improved their team play this year -but I still wouldn't call him a "shutdown" centre---and Hayes is -5 on a very good BC team with Gaudreau Mullane and Whitney being in the +13 to +16 range -so obviously Hayes is no Selke candidate either ..In other words--while both Mcneill and Hayes have some decent attributes theu also have flaws wich make then not the 'perfect" bottom 2 line centre solutions either...so a mixed bag of skeptical "doubts' as to how much "help" they really will be?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
NEITHER is top six material -if you are getting excited about bottom sixers-then i pity us in the future as other teams top six level prospects stars for them while our bottom sixers hardly make a dent of significant "difference" ...Lots of first rounders fail to become significant difference -makers -I think itis safe to project neither of these 2 will either...This is not to say both can't help in certain roles as third and fourth liners -buut we usually do not make that much a fuss about such types -McNeill is good at face-offs --so is Hayes---so at least in that area lacking for so many years onour team--at least that "role" player bottom 2 line C is useful ..

McNeill was never much of a good +/- guy till PA improved their team play this year -but I still wouldn't call him a "shutdown" centre---and Hayes is -5 on a very good BC team with Gaudreau Mullane and Whitney being in the +13 to +16 range -so obviously Hayes is no Selke candidate either ..In other words--while both Mcneill and Hayes have some decent attributes theu also have flaws wich make then not the 'perfect" bottom 2 line centre solutions either...so a mixed bag of skeptical "doubts' as to how much "help" they really will be?

L. O. L.

HF50, you never fail to entertain. Merci.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Watching McNeill play and shadow players he kind if looks like a shut down center- he loves to help out down low behind the net-

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
McNeill's a much more polished player, a better two-way forward. I would say Kayes has an advantage in vision/playmaking.. but overall I'd say McNeill is the better offensive player.

If McNeill played for Portland, everyone would be extremely excited about him because his stats would get a bump. Prince Albert is a much improved team, but McNeill still doesn't play with great linemates, despite leading the team in scoring and PpG.

IMO Hayes is better overall player

And he is much better skater then McNeill

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Shot-wash
Playmaking-Wash
Hands-Hayes
Hitting-McNeill
Defense-McNeill
Skating-Hayes
Creativity-Hayes
Board play-McNeill
Leadership-McNeill
Strength-McNeill
One on one-Hayes

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As I suspected, McNeil played plenty against the US and played very well – a controlled and disciplined game and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I can easily see him cracking the Hawks line-up within 2 years. I doubt the same can be said for Kayes but then again, long term Kayes potentially will be better (due to his offensive creativity). Based almost exclusively on other’s reports, I’d rate them as just about equal in the long term. Much will depend on the needs of the Hawks in a couple years time but right now I’d say McNeil has the upper hand.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
For me, the 2 are fairly close but I would give the edge to McNeill only because he has shown the offensive ability that Kayes hasn't quite reached. McNeill is not slow and is probably quicker than Kayes, not sure where people are seeing skating issues with McNeill.

Kayes is a future good #3, McNeill a slightly less than average #2 C imo.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
All or most of KHayes goals this year are on the pp. It will be interesting to see how he does w/o pp time.

Gambar

Fire Hendry
Nov 12, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'd take McNeill, whom I believe has top 6 potential (not sure on Hayes potential. 3rd line?). Either way, it's nice that we can even have these conversations.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
i didn't love mcneill to begin with...and he's impressed me less and less and time has gone on. i haven't seen a lot of hayes...but i'll go with him by default.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
both have quality. We need to see what they can do in the NHL, not in juniors. Looks like their game will translate to the NHL and they will make it. Could be 2nd linem could be 4th line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad