Seravalli: Kevin Hayes market heating up; COL/CAR/MIN interested, PHI open to salary retention

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Gotta be Carolina with the eastern conference shake up. If not Hayes, I certainly think Carolina has the assets to get something major done.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
But…..it says they’re willing to retain…..

If you don’t think we can’t convince them to up it to 50% for a good offer I feel you overestimate Hextall.
Hayes beyond ugly contract has 3 more years left after this one. Teams don't like to retain that much money usually. Not to mention that I wouldn't want him around for that long either.

And I honestly probably wouldn't do it for Hayes @50 % most likely anyways. That dude is just not that good and the Avs certainly shouldn't be desperate to waste even 3.6m for the next 3 years on this dude.

There is no team in the West that looks scary to a healthy (big questionmark that will depend how far the team will go this year) Avs team right now IMO.
The Avs are far better off keeping their powder dry and using those assets to replace the guys we will lose in the offseason (probably JTC and one of Girard/Toews atleast) due to cap issues. There are no quality #2 Cs available right now and quite frankly the Avs most likely don't need one anyways. We need our guys to get healthy. If that happens we are easily good enough already to get back to the Stanley Cup Finals so there is no incentive to overpay for stuff we might regret down the line. The West is weak and it does not look like that will change anytime soon. No reason to force anything for a rather young team that is already the best team in the West and could continue to be that for the next 2-3 years atleast if our front office plays their cards right.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
With all due respect, you're wildly overrating Kevin Hayes... even with retention there's no way he's worth anything near that.

At 50% retention he's absolutely worth a bunch.

The 50% retention alone is approaching 2 1st round picks of value.

Then factor in Hayes value himself at $3.5M in cap and yes he absolutely would fetch 2 1sts + Newhook as a base of a deal.

Reactions: captainpaxil

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
At 50% retention he's absolutely worth a bunch.

The 50% retention alone is approaching 2 1st round picks of value.

Then factor in Hayes value himself at $3.5M in cap and yes he absolutely would fetch 2 1sts + Newhook as a base of a deal.

I wouldn't pay that much. Hayes is already overpaid so why should we give up 2 firsts. It should be 25% retained just to start a conversation. A first for the other 25% retained and then newhook for Hayes. Hayes isn't helping anyone's rebuild.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Calgary do something stupid? That’s unpossible!

Sorry brain fart. Either way overestimating his tactics.
Lmao you’re right.

Well, they might be stupid. Friedman and Co mentioned him today if Calgary pulls the plug on this year.
Did he? That would be so stupid from Calgary because it also keep them away from rebounding next year with a terrible C depth

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Gotta be Carolina with the eastern conference shake up. If not Hayes, I certainly think Carolina has the assets to get something major done.
Hopefully they do something. Because they just used 30% of their Cap to add Puljujarvi

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Frank has suggested the Flyers are open to retaining 25-30% of Hayes' salary.

At $4-5m AAV, he'd be an attractive piece for teams. You'd get 4 playoff runs with him at a nice cap hit.

Avalanche, Hurricanes, and Wild mentioned as being interested, but I'd imagine a few more teams are poking around, too.

FqBZQjxX0AABWrG

ive said it before….

you get him down to $4.5M or so you get him at a more reasonable cap for him. Nobody is taking him at full cap.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Wild would need serious help with that cap hit but it would be nice to see how good they can be with a true center instead of wings playing center. JEE and Koivu are literally the only centers the franchise has ever had. Its a miracle how good they've been over the years with such limited center depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad