Value of: Kevin Fiala

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
i'll pass i want youth!
Fiala is as youthful as Kap and Ek which is the point. Adding his caliber of winger to this group opens the window now. In 25-26 a top 6 of Kap , Boldy , Ek , Fiala , Rossi and Yurov could do some significant damage

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How do you make that work? Trade Spurgeon in the offseason?
Not that it matters much because it's absolutely not happening, but we'd only really need to free up ~$2M to make it work, assuming some lower-level lineup stuff can come cheap (3rd pair, 4th line).

Even with the extensions and buyouts, we actually still do have workable cap space next summer for a ~$6M player, should one present itself, unless we go and decide to overpay for 4th liners.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Not that it matters much because it's absolutely not happening, but we'd only really need to free up ~$2M to make it work, assuming some lower-level lineup stuff can come cheap (3rd pair, 4th line).

Even with the extensions and buyouts, we actually still do have workable cap space next summer for a ~$6M player, should one present itself, unless we go and decide to overpay for 4th liners.
So nothing realistic , got it

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I don’t think people realize what a good player Fiala is. Hes by far the most talented player on the Kings.
He’s an absolute line driver and has electric talent. Does he have a few warts? Sure. I don’t know what player who’s out there being as creative as he can be doesn’t get accused of having a few warts.

Reactions: pouf pouf

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’d take him back on the Wild for secondary scoring in a heart beat. Star players turn it over when being creative, I’ll take that over constant dump n chase and easy zone exits for the other team when unable to retrieve it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala was an excellent forechecker when he was on the Wild, and a good PK’er. He’s not perfect, but I’d take him back if we could manage the cap in MN, easily. He is not a lazy floater, and while he isn’t tall, is built like a tank.
Does he take dumb penalties at times? Yes.
Does he make the odd bad turnover? Yes, but that’s often what you get with creative offensive players.

I just don’t think that it is at all realistic that he comes back to the Wild, given their cap situation, and Guerin’s distaste for him. Any team who has the means and opportunity to trade for him could do a lot worse.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
He just plays too selfish. Always careless with penalties. Can put up numbers, but I don't think he's the kind of guy that would be on a cup team. Will be hard to move with that contract. Maybe for a defenceman with a similar deal.

Sam Reinhart was the better player all along.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He’s an absolute line driver and has electric talent. Does he have a few warts? Sure. I don’t know what player who’s out there being as creative as he can be doesn’t get accused of having a few warts.
Yup, unfortunately there’s a decent amount of delusional Kings fans on our board that dislike Fiala for his turnovers but forget he’s pretty much the only dynamic player on the Kings since Palffy. If there’s one player that can afford to make turnovers is players like him who are extremely hard to come by. If a winger turning the puck over at the offensive zone is a reason why the Kings get scored on then the Kings have much bigger problems. Namely defense and Goaltending. If you can’t turn the puck over in the offensive zone then the Kings should never play dump and chase.

Best hands on the team
Best technical skill
Arguably one of the best playmakers
Real Good shot
Amazing offensive IQ
Great skater
Can create offense all by himself

“makes turnovers tho”

Idiotic.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yup, unfortunately there’s a decent amount of delusional Kings fans on our board that dislike Fiala for his turnovers but forget he’s pretty much the only dynamic player on the Kings since Palffy. If there’s one player that can afford to make turnovers is players like him who are extremely hard to come by. If a winger turning the puck over at the offensive zone is a reason why the Kings get scored on then the Kings have much bigger problems. Namely defense and Goaltending. If you can’t turn the puck over in the offensive zone then the Kings should never play dump and chase.

Best hands on the team
Best technical skill
Arguably one of the best playmakers
Real Good shot
Amazing offensive IQ
Great skater
Can create offense all by himself

“makes turnovers tho”

Idiotic.

The Wild can give you Zuccarello for the rest of the season, you'll see what it's like to have turnover after turnover without all the good stuff Fiala brings, then everyone will appreciate Fiala more.

Reactions: lordtrillson

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
thing is you have to have the right personnel out there to deal with his warts. he's checking out of certain games/shifts, his propensity to turn over pucks, etc. And then those guys are going to be doing that at the cost of their own productivity.

edit: going to say again and again I wouldn't have been in favor of getting rid of him warts and all had we had that money. But a player like that is kind of challenging to a coach because you can't plan on him being consistent from game to game and his talent means you need him playing big minutes. I wouldn't be looking to trade him if cap isn't an issue.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
thing is you have to have the right personnel out there to deal with his warts. he's checking out of certain games/shifts, his propensity to turn over pucks, etc. And then those guys are going to be doing that at the cost of their own productivity.
He turns the puck over less than Kap and 10000x less than Zucc

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The whole “Fiala turns the puck over” was nothing more than Russo running cover and printing negative stories about a player the GM dropped the ball on and couldn’t sign. What a joke

Reactions: JKG33

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
He turns the puck over less than Kap and 10000x less than Zucc
hyperbole aside the mistakes Kaprizov and Zucc are out there using one another and trying too hard. Fiala is out of synch with everyone else on the ice too often. I'd have no problem at all replacing Zucc with Fiala but i'd put a lot of money on Kaprizov's frustration going off the charts.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
hyperbole aside the mistakes Kaprizov and Zucc are out there using one another and trying too hard. Fiala is out of synch with everyone else on the ice too often. I'd have no problem at all replacing Zucc with Fiala but i'd put a lot of money on Kaprizov's frustration going off the charts.
They don’t mesh which is fine , they are both inanely valuable play drivers

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
They don’t mesh which is fine , they are both inanely valuable play drivers
point is Fiala might be a challenging person for coaches and linemates and it shouldn't be a shocker when people pick up on something "off" and don't value him as highly as they should considering his demonstrable skill .
He's nice enough, he's not lazy or a dick, but he is not very smart and I think that's where the problem is.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
point is Fiala might be a challenging person for coaches and linemates and it shouldn't be a shocker when people pick up on something "off" and don't value him as highly as they should considering his demonstrable skill .
He's nice enough, he's not lazy or a dick, but he is not very smart and I think that's where the problem is.
I don’t give a f*** about character or grit or locker room or nice. I care about winning and the on ice product and being entertained. Guerin has not delivered and losing Fiala was a waste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad