Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don't post a lot, but it seems like Fiala is the scapegoat for the Wild's Playoff failure, which I don't understand. I don't think he played great, but outside of Kaprizov and Ek, who did?

Hartman had 5 apples riding shotgun on the Wild's best line. Zuc had 1 more point than Fiala. That's about it for the team's offense. Again, I'm disappointed, but I'm blown away that everyone is so eager to trade away a 25 yo 85 point player for magic beans. How often does a draft pick ever turn into anything close to Fiala? In the history of wild, twice? At 25, I think there's still time to work on how to succeed in the playoffs. If we get, say Ottawa's 7th OA pick in a weak draft, statistically, isn't that like a 50/50 shot of turning into a decent 1st liner?

I get that budget might force Fiala to be traded, but I don't love it. At least he was fun to watch in the regular season, and helped get us to the playoffs. Didn't feel like Fiala performing would have been enough to even get to the 2nd round.

Am I missing something?

You need a like, buddy ;)

I'd say you do miss something. There are some hints out on the big web to pick up.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't post a lot, but it seems like Fiala is the scapegoat for the Wild's Playoff failure, which I don't understand. I don't think he played great, but outside of Kaprizov and Ek, who did?

Hartman had 5 apples riding shotgun on the Wild's best line. Zuc had 1 more point than Fiala. That's about it for the team's offense. Again, I'm disappointed, but I'm blown away that everyone is so eager to trade away a 25 yo 85 point player for magic beans. How often does a draft pick ever turn into anything close to Fiala? In the history of wild, twice? At 25, I think there's still time to work on how to succeed in the playoffs. If we get, say Ottawa's 7th OA pick in a weak draft, statistically, isn't that like a 50/50 shot of turning into a decent 1st liner?

I get that budget might force Fiala to be traded, but I don't love it. At least he was fun to watch in the regular season, and helped get us to the playoffs. Didn't feel like Fiala performing would have been enough to even get to the 2nd round.

Am I missing something?

Don't you compare a $1.7M player to a player who wants to get $8M at least?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It's so annoying how simple it would be to keep him, even at $8M, and essentially knowing that we're not. We could even gather some nice futures in the process. A damn shame.
Maybe we are all off our rockers and AKL is actually BG just messing with us all here as he actually illustrated his plan and nobody believes him.

you would think though that a basic look at production and projection of fiala would warrant a bit of urgency to keep him rather than only sign depth and say f it he is a hassle to sign. i could see why he was a hassle to negotiate in the past if he was being lowballed and he knew darn well he is worth more.

Reactions: 57special

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019
Maybe we are all off our rockers and AKL is actually BG just messing with us all here as he actually illustrated his plan and nobody believes him.

you would think though that a basic look at production and projection of fiala would warrant a bit of urgency to keep him rather than only sign depth and say f it he is a hassle to sign. i could see why he was a hassle to negotiate in the past if he was being lowballed and he knew darn well he is worth more.

It's crazy how more productive he got after playing with Boldy.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Boldy being miles better offensively than the rotating cast that he played with before makes it not so crazy.

What's crazy is people using the 30 points in 40 games (pre Boldy) against Fiala, when being a 60+ point player with those guys is a pretty massive accomplishment in itself.

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019
Boldy being miles better offensively than the rotating cast that he played with before makes it not so crazy.

What's crazy is people using the 30 points in 40 games (pre Boldy) against Fiala, when being a 60+ point player with those guys is a pretty massive accomplishment in itself.

I don't know KK had 100 plus with Hartman as his C.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Not really. We had a taste of what he could be when not playing with junk.

Look at his 19-20 season.
The first 46 games of the season he was strapped with Koivu (black hole) and Parise (good for garbage goals only). 28 points.
The last 18 games was when he had any type of decent line (Staal/Parise or Zucker/Rask). 26p in 18 games.
Then goes a PPG in the Playins (Staal/Parise).

Boldy is probably the most skilled linemate he's had, but he's also a rookie. The rookie showed in the Playoffs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know KK had 100 plus with Hartman as his C.

Kap had Zucc. Zucc is better than anyone Fiala has played with in MN (Boldy included). Kap is also a world class elite player (Kane, Panarin tier) . Fiala is not in that same tier (not many are).

Hartman was also on a tear before he got put on that line, and he has decent o-zone instincts/abilities. Freddy G does not have anywhere near that o-zone ability.

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019
Not really. We had a taste of what he could be when not playing with junk.

Look at his 19-20 season.
The first 46 games of the season he was strapped with Koivu (black hole) and Parise (good for garbage goals only). 28 points.
The last 18 games was when he had any type of decent line (Staal/Parise or Zucker/Rask). 26p in 18 games.
Then goes a PPG in the Playins (Staal/Parise).

Boldy is probably the most skilled linemate he's had, but he's also a rookie. The rookie showed in the Playoffs.

Boldy is a better passer, better along the boards, has more hockey sense and vision then Fiala. Fiala has unbelievable speed and a quick release. Again crazy how Fiala became so much more productive with Boldy.....

Kap had Zucc. Zucc is better than anyone Fiala has played with in MN (Boldy included). Kap is also a world class elite player (Kane, Panarin tier) . Fiala is not in that same tier (not many are).

Hartman was also on a tear before he got put on that line, and he has decent o-zone instincts/abilities. Freddy G does not have anywhere near that o-zone ability.

Look at Hartman and Zuc stats before KK and get back to me

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boldy is a better passer, better along the boards, has more hockey sense and vision then Fiala. Fiala has unbelievable speed and a quick release. Again crazy how Fiala became so much more productive with Boldy.....

Look at Hartman and Zuc stats before KK and get back to me

Zucc was injured his first year in MN. It was pretty obvious he was a different player when he was healthy.

Fiala is a better passer than Boldy. He just had nobody that could do anything with his passes. He's also a better shooter and isn't afraid to shoot (something uncommon in all of MN's team history).

As for Hartman. He started the season out hot without Kaprizov. 10g/4a in his first 18 games before getting put on the Kap/Zucc line. Basically the same pace as he had with them. The only other time in his career he ever played anything more than a grinder role was his rookie year in CHI. He put up 19g that season playing next to a skill player.

Remember Kap was on a 60p pace the first 15 games of the season with JEE and Freddy G as his centers. It wasn't until he got a center (Rask then Hartman) with o-zone instincts/abilities that he took off and doubled his points pace (120p pace over his last 66 games).

Skill players need other skill players to be successful. Both Kap and Fiala have showed this over the past few seasons. Kap has made the same o-zone blueline turnovers as Fiala. It's overlooked for Kap because he's the golden child.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Fiala was 10th in 5v5 P/60, Boldy was 11th. There’s not a chance in hell Boldy is replicating that with Gaudreau and Rossi.

It’s absolutely ridiculous Guerin doesn’t want to focus on keeping two lines intact that are among the top in the league at 5v5 scoring. This team’s defense is a disaster and we’re going to need to outscore our opponents (i.e be the Oilers) to have any chance of competing over the next 3 years…

Reactions: IAHockey25

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Fiala was 10th in 5v5 P/60, Boldy was 11th. There’s not a chance in hell Boldy is replicating that with Gaudreau and Rossi.

It’s absolutely ridiculous Guerin doesn’t want to focus on keeping two lines intact that are among the top in the league at 5v5 scoring. This team’s defense is a disaster and we’re going to need to outscore our opponents (i.e be the Oilers) to have any chance of competing over the next 3 years…
I’d be fine tanking next year. I’d settle for Fantilli.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Maybe I am not saying this right. Let me be very black and white. You are no better having a talented team who doesn't play the right way as having a subpar team who plays the right waybin the playoffs.

The question is, does Kevin have that in him to make the right plays? If not, his value isn't as high as we think. If he does, he should fetch a kings ransom

A fair question with no answer, he obviously has the skills but many a player can have hot and cold playoffs and some just don't perform, hard to say what he is yet but arguments can be made both ways. Having an off playoffs doesn't mean he can't perform in the future, outside of the mental lapses the kid has everything you want in a player. Most of this stuff is out of our hands anyway, many have accepted that he might be gone no matter how much better he makes the team by being here. I just hope whatever we get in return is enough to get this team a cup in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad