Rumor: Kevin Bieksa and others could be fired at Sportsnet?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I saw Howard Berger's name and I was like, he's still there???

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Way overdue for MacLean. Bieksa I liked (as a broadcaster), I like Hrudey although he doesn't offer much outside of goaltending. I liked that Mikkleson on the Flames broadcasts too. She does a good job, Botterill is decent too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't really see any motivation for them to get rid of Bieksa, which prevents me from fully following along with this rumour.

Reactions: Tofveve

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd miss Hrudey. As someone once said, he's a dork, but he's our dork. He isn't annoying to listen to, some of the people's voices get grating but Hrudey is pretty chill. And while he's been a big Flames homer, I always like that he doesn't do it in a way that insults the other team, and will point good stuff they do as well. I think we could do a lot worse than him

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Unlike a few people who posted here I won't miss Hrudey. All he did was talk about the goalies and he was loath to point out when one was shitting the bed.
Even though he was a goalie too, I much preferred when Greg Millen would sub for Hrudey. Honestly I bet there are a lot of people out there that can provide better color commentary than Hrudey.

Reactions: Tofveve and Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't really see any motivation for them to get rid of Bieksa, which prevents me from fully following along with this rumour.
Probably contracts and money, that is all the motivation they need

Unlike a few people who posted here I won't miss Hrudey. All he did was talk about the goalies and he was loath to point out when one was shitting the bed.
Even though he was a goalie too, I much preferred when Greg Millen would sub for Hrudey. Honestly I bet there are a lot of people out there that can provide better color commentary than Hrudey.
This is about the HNIC panel, not commentary for games

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Hrudey is also an Oilers’ homer. He can beat it

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Yup. Millen is way better, right?

I can certainly believe a few of the others will be let go at Sportsnet. But Bieksa? Sounds like Friedman is safe..

I wouldn't lose any sleep on losing any of them other than Friedman and Bieska. Just losing MacLean alone is 100% better and I'm guessing he is the most expensive as well.

Reactions: Tofveve

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So this clickbait came from an article posted by Howard Berger on his personal website, where he said, "an alarming bit of speculation from a media source familiar to everyone in the Canadian sports television industry...We may not recognize the Hockey Night In Canada panel next season." He then goes at length into how Rogers business has suffered the last few years. Hockeyfeed then turned it into "MULTIPLE FIRINGS EXPECTED AT SPORTSNET."
Berger tweeted the link to his story on July 8, and no one in the hockey media has touched it since, as Berger is an unaffiliated guy with 9000 followers.

Reactions: Tofveve and Nanuuk

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

I much prefer Millen, who ironically I used to think sucked. Greg tells it like it is a lot better than Hrudey who wants to put a bright shiny spin on everything and then when he doesn't he sounds like he's piling on lol. Plus there's a few other things I'm not that much of a fan of Kelly. That said I don't hate him, just not too keen on him either.

Ron definitely comes across as smug, passive-aggressive-pendatic/preachy/teachy. I joked regularly about how his segments seemed to be about making his audience cry. Then his music referencing and movie referencing and a bunch of other abstract we don't care Ronisms won't be missed by me.

I didn't mind Bieksa. Maybe he doesn't represent their panel ideas.

Botteril seems fine to me other than US channels scooping up her talent? Maybe she also doesn't capture their vision of things, which is weird to me.

***and yes maybe this article is simply click bait lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad