Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs one year deal $1.5m

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
NLV Coyotes fan weighing in. Phil might be a passable replacement for Pacioretty's offensive production, especially if he gets PP time. But he's going to frustrate the shit out of you. Often. We were torn over on the Coyotes board on bringing him back ... probably about 60/40 against. I wanted him back because at times he flashes that Hall of Famer vibe and you're amazed. But those are flashes, not steady-state output. A lot of us felt Kessel's game fell waaaay off when the Coyotes fired Rick Tocchet as coach, who Kessel had previous with in PIT and who was probably a big part in Phil wanting to come to ARZ. Not just his production (no goals, all assists this year) but his effort too. But that coincided with a full-on tank/rebuild season. So who really knows.

tl;dr ... good luck. Should be fun. I'll be over at Big Dog's watching.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I've been calling this for a while now, but I'm surprised the cap hit is this low. I wonder if Stastny was close to coming back.

Can't wait for the controversy over Cassidy scratching him to ruin the iron man streak. This team always needs drama.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Where do you see Kessel playing in the lineup for Vegas?

It's like the Dadonov trade, there's no ideal fit. Sounds like Cassidy wanted to try Marchessault with Eichel, so I'm thinking Kessel will be on the RW of either Karlsson, Roy or Stephenson in camp.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Will help score some goals but will allow just as many or more 5v5. Maybe put him on the 4th line and PP to limit his liabilities. Will limit his TOI so he can focus his effort and keep him off the ice when the team is protecting a lead.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've been calling this for a while now, but I'm surprised the cap hit is this low. I wonder if Stastny was close to coming back.

Can't wait for the controversy over Cassidy scratching him to ruin the iron man streak. This team always needs drama.

Friedman said we offered more to Stastny but he chose Carolina. It seems he was our priority over Kessel but swung back to Kessel when he said no.

As long as Cassidy doesn't scratch him the first 19 games, with him getting to 1001, I think it's fine if it happens later in the season.

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
Kessel brings 3 qualities that have been missing in the recent Golden Knights teams-
1 He doesn't get hurt
2 He can score on the power play
3 He gets better in the playoffs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Friedman said we offered more to Stastny but he chose Carolina. It seems he was our priority over Kessel but swung back to Kessel when he said no.

As long as Cassidy doesn't scratch him the first 19 games, with him getting to 1001, I think it's fine if it happens later in the season.
Kessel brings 3 qualities that have been missing in the recent Golden Knights teams-
1 He doesn't get hurt
2 He can score on the power play
3 He gets better in the playoffs

It probably has to do with his ironman streak and playing through hand injuries, but his shot has been weak as hell the past year or so. I'm not expecting 20 goals from him at this stage of his career, but he should move the puck around well enough on the PP. I like Kessel and I've always thought he gets an unfair rep, but the Coyotes have been awful and Phil was never one of their standout forwards when Vegas played them.

Cassidy of all coaches will no doubt use the ironman streak as a motivational tool and I'll have my :popcorn: ready.

My biggest concern is with all the hairloss denial going into next season. We can't have the sickest flow next to...well, no flow at all. Sometimes the flow comes from within.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Numbers don't like about Phat Phil. Maybe he gets to being an acceptable middle six forward but it's a two way sport. When you don't keep the puck out of your own net teams are going to move on from you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad