Kessel, Chucko, Frazee and other underaged Gophers caught with booze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Phanuthier said:
Like I said, the issue isn't that they were actually drinking.

It's what they risked in doing so. Schoarlships, their NCAA career (and a very good development program in Minnisota, one of the top in the world), their entire team's post-season or ability to hold tournaments, external funding and scholarships ect ect (yes, I took this info from another site)

Very poor decision making by the 5. But, they are kids. If nothing comes out from this, its all for not - just a couple collage kids having a couple drinks. But, on the flip side, there could be hell to pay for this.

Its a poor decision. Drink at a house party, whatever. Just don't do it in public where you could pay for it. You represent a school.

That's pretty much the way I see it. To me the issue isn't so much that they drank; let's be honest here, the majority of college kids drink and the majority of hockey players drink. That in it self isn't special. However, when you do drink you need to know the rules and the consequences of what you're doing. If the legal age 21 and you're in public like that it's just not a smart thing to do.

Overall it's just a poor decision, but they're just kids and I can understand what they did. Hopefully this doesn't turn into anything too serious and the next time they go out for beers they do it somewhere more private. With all that being said, it really isn't big of a deal and I hope this just blows over.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Bryanbryoil said:
Exactly, if they were in Canada it wouldn't be a big deal because the age there is 18!!! One of the biggest things that ticks me off about the US (my home country) is that you can serve and die in the military at 18 but you can't have legally have a drink. What the ****???

Well to be fair, if this discussion came up 25 years when the draft was actually being held, you would be right. Conscription on a massive scale hasnt happened as far as I know except during Vietnam and the Civil War, and then yes I would agree with you as being forced into the military to risk life and death prior to you drinking age. You volunteer and if you make that choice, well you live with what you signed up for.

Scarier is people think, 18 year olds are old enough to vote :shakehead

Anyways, who cares if they drink. Its only going to **** up themselves (most likely) in the long run, so let them.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
fatsunny said:
Most of you on this thread sound very juvenile, rationalizing under aged drinking. You might not like the law, but it's the law and these kids need to learn to respect it. Athletes are terribly spoiled as a whole with all the attention they get and the freebies and the look aways those in authority give them when they do wrong. Doing that isn't good for their personal human development and I hope the coach takes appropriate action for the best interest of the players involved.

Is it a huge issue at this time? I wouldn't classify it as such, but it's still an issue that can't be glossed over.

I wouldn't follow that law if I didn't agree with it. And I don't follow it.

Not being able to have a drink at the age of 18 but being able to ****ing die for your country is just a tad ridiculous, don't you think?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

The law is the law and it is the glue that holds society together. If you disagree with it, you work through legal means to change it! If all thought like you (and many do) then what would stop someone who does not believe in property rights from taking what is legally yours?

Kids drink, that is a fact but these are not your regular college frosh they are D-1 athletes who, like it or not, are held to a higher standard.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
VOB said:
The law is the law and it is the glue that holds society together. If you disagree with it, you work through legal means to change it! If all thought like you (and many do) then what would stop someone who does not believe in property rights from taking what is legally yours?

Kids drink, that is a fact but these are not your regular college frosh they are D-1 athletes who, like it or not, are held to a higher standard.

There's a big, big difference from something like property rights and being able to DIE for your country but not have a sip of alcohol. Don't even begin to compare the two.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
There's a big, big difference from something like property rights and being able to DIE for your country but not have a sip of alcohol. Don't even begin to compare the two.

Which doesn't take away from the fact that these kids were involved in an activity that's against the law.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

The point I am trying to make is that just because you disagree with the law, it does not give you a right to break it. Yes there is a big difference between drinking underage and unlawful entry and the justice system recognizes it and metes out its punishment accordingly.

If we were to stand on your moral ground, the difference between property rights and underage drinking would only be based on your personal viewpoint, one that may not be shared by others who feel property rights are nothing more than a way to keep the wealth of the nation locked away by a privileged minority. Don't laugh because I know more than a few who actually feel this way.

What these players did may not have been terribly wrong, but wrong nonetheless! Their actions should not be overlooked.

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:

Not being able to have a drink at the age of 18 but being able to ****ing die for your country is just a tad ridiculous, don't you think?

:clap: :bow:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
VOB said:
The point I am trying to make is that just because you disagree with the law, it does not give you a right to break it. Yes there is a big difference between drinking underage and unlawful entry and the justice system recognizes it and metes out its punishment accordingly.

If we were to stand on your moral ground, the difference between property rights and underage drinking would only be based on your personal viewpoint, one that may not be shared by others who feel property rights are nothing more than a way to keep the wealth of the nation locked away by a privileged minority. Don't laugh because I know more than a few who actually feel this way.

What these players did may not have been terribly wrong, but wrong nonetheless! Their actions should not be overlooked.

I'm sorry, but that law is meant to be broken.

Even my father says that and he's one of the stricter parents that I have seen.

I fully support any 18 year old who wants to drink and think it should be their right as an American.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
fatsunny said:
Most of you on this thread sound very juvenile, rationalizing under aged drinking. You might not like the law, but it's the law and these kids need to learn to respect it. Athletes are terribly spoiled as a whole with all the attention they get and the freebies and the look aways those in authority give them when they do wrong. Doing that isn't good for their personal human development and I hope the coach takes appropriate action for the best interest of the players involved.

Is it a huge issue at this time? I wouldn't classify it as such, but it's still an issue that can't be glossed over.

Unless you have proof that the reason they were able to drink in bars while being under 21 IS because they are athletes, your point is moot.

And the fact is that it isn't just underaged athletes who are 'allowed' to get away with drinking. For example, my hometown (45 minutes from Dinkytown) has minors out in front of the bars drinking. It was accepted and common for high schoolers to go from grad party to grad party hitting up kegs and the like, despite being underage, you would have parents allowing their kids to have a few people over and drink, etc.

Don't try and make it sound like somehow athletes are privilleged to be allowed to drink underage when others are as well.

mooseOAK*

At least I know that those good Canadian kids who won the WJC in North Dakota this year never touched a drop of beer after winning.

It just wouldn't have happened.

weezman

fatsunny said:

280_90403DA1.jpg

radir

Jul 31, 2005
VOB said:

Difference is them drinking doesnt affect you, cant affect you and cant cause you prejudice. Property rights is another thing, because it can, in fact, cause you a prejudice.

Now come on, give us a break, they only had a few beers. And that is wrong for who ? I was drinking beers at 16-17 (heck, my parents even bought me beers a couple times), and does it change anything in anyone life ?

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Could somebody more knowledgable than myself comment on the legality of secretly videotaping inside a private buisness? Wouldn't the owner of the premises have to sign off on it? or is it considered a public space?

Either way it's pretty creepy. Legal or not, recording someone without they're consent is a really ****** thing to do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
BTW-this isn't anywhere near as bad as a DUI like an Oiler prospect named Matt Greene had last year I believe. That's embarassing and BS, that's putting someone else in danger. He who has not drinken an alcoholic beverage before their Countries legal age, cast stones, if you did, then can it!!!

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
DeuceUNO said:
lol

fox9 news is awful...they were like flies on sh*t with the whole vikings/love boat scandal.
Let me guess, they ran promos with the sinister voice "MEMBERS OF THE MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS CAUGHT DRINKING ON TAPE? TUN IN AT 11!" It's times like this I wish the rolleyes smiley was also making the wanking motion.

College kids drink! :eek: I've lived in a college town for 10 years and I see it all the time and it's no big deal. In fact I think the raise in drinking age has been counter productive more than anything.

I don't know wether to be disapointed or proud that Stoa and Peltier weren't involved. :sarcasm: Maybe Faux News will clock them going 39 in a 35 on the way to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad