Line Combos: Kessel/Bozak/JVR approaching positive plus/minus status.

leafspring*

A testament to Phil's improved defensive game is showing up in the plus/minus stats as Phil is even right now and Bozy/James are sitting poised to join him at just a minus 1.

Phil and Tyler have been a combined -79 over the previous three years.JVR is about par with what it was last year in as many games.

I think its fair to say Kessels scoring aside for a minute,he has most likely helped our GAA this season significantly and its a important factor to this years team success. Just goes to show how long players continue developing in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Best line of late by a good margin.

They all play a role in it, which is nice to see, very good chemistry on the line.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Their problem lies with puck possession and play along the boards.

JVR needs to be better along the boards to make up for Kessel's deficiencies in that area, Bozak needs to be... somebody else. A centre that can control the play.

They're terrific off the rush though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this line is still getting better, JVR and Bozak had more room for growth in their games and this will compliment Kessel well as they continue to grow.

Sign Bozak and Kessel will follow.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
They've stepped it up big time lately, it's good to see them taking it to another level when the regular season is finishing up and clinching a playoff spot is a real possibility.

Especially with Kadri going a little dry lately and Lupul out of the line-up, we really needed that line to take it to another level.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
JVR will continue to develop his overall game, but he'll always be a very streaky, sometimes invisible 50-60 point contributor me thinks. Still a very nice compliment to Kessel, as he's quick and good in front of the net.

Bozak is tapped out. What you see is what you get. He can win all the face-offs he wants, doesn't mean much if he can't hold onto the puck.

leafspring*

Going into the play-offs and having Kessels line playing quality two-way minutes will pay off for the team significantly. I'm pretty proud of the way Kess has had a break-out year as a more complete player.

Most importantly Phil's defensive play bodes well for the future success of the team.He immediately becomes more of a elite player with these defensive contributions and i 4one appreciate it big time. Its so encouraging to see that its hard not to gloat when he gets bashed.:laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think this line is still getting better, JVR and Bozak had more room for growth in their games and this will compliment Kessel well as they continue to grow.

Sign Bozak and Kessel will follow.

To your last point, sign someone like Staal and a cup will follow. They can run Bozak but he is pretty much welded to Kessel. He isn't a 5m asset though no matter what, it's like saying Kunitz is, although different position same sort of elevation by way of Kessel and JVR. 3.75m is Kunitz money and the most I would offer Bozak.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
JVR will continue to develop his overall game, but he'll always be a very streaky, sometimes invisible 50-60 point contributor me thinks. Still a very nice compliment to Kessel, as he's quick and good in front of the net.

Bozak is tapped out. What you see is what you get. He can win all the face-offs he wants, doesn't mean much if he can't hold onto the puck.

I think RC has to manage Bozak's ice time a little better or we risk what happened to Phaneuf happening to Bozie, he did have a cold yesterday but still played a monster game. But at times for the first tine this year looked a little tired, effects of the cold or the 20mins per game for 40+ games now?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
To your last point, sign someone like Staal and a cup will follow. They can run Bozak but he is pretty much welded to Kessel. He isn't a 5m asset though no matter what, it's like saying Kunitz is, although different position same sort of elevation by way of Kessel and JVR. 3.75m is Kunitz money and the most I would offer Bozak.

Weiss is not an option at 5M, that's a worst cap hit. Bozak's best before date hasn't been reached. He is progressing every year into a better and more complete player, the coach uses him in every key situation. He's worth 4.77 for 5 for me easily, and now that he, Kessel and JVR are looking like they are taking their games to a different level, we are going to mess it up by bringing in another potential Connolly, does not make sense.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Bozak is more valuable to us.....

Why do people on here sell him short....he is a good center who has a lot of value to us....penalty kill, power play, faceoffs and leads the forwards in ice time. He stays and we move Grabo.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Weiss is not an option at 5M, that's a worst cap hit. Bozak's best before date hasn't been reached. He is progressing every year into a better and more complete player, the coach uses him in every key situation. He's worth 4.77 for 5 for me easily, and now that he, Kessel and JVR are looking like they are taking their games to a different level, we are going to mess it up by bringing in another potential Connolly, does not make sense.

A Staal type is not a Connolly but I understand your point, just not the price. So you are saying give Bozak the same contract as Connolly had. Well the only way you can justify that is you are paying 1m premium as insurance that Kessel resigns. It doesn't make sense but it does at the same time.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
It almost makes you want to cry how little Bozak contributes offensively considering what he's given to work with. PPG Kessel, PPG Lupul, 60 point pace JVR, first power play unit, large percentage of offensive starts, 20+ minutes a night.

Somebody is going to give him too much money and be shocked when he can't produce more than 40 points.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bozak is more valuable to us.....

Why do people on here sell him short....he is a good center who has a lot of value to us....penalty kill, power play, faceoffs and leads the forwards in ice time. He stays and we move Grabo.

I don't care if we have to move Grabo but for crying out loud you need to put the guy in a position he can pad his numbers so you get something good for him. If we got some junk for him it would be an enormous error on managements part.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bozak and Kessel have evolved together tremendously.

Bozak: -29, -7, -1
Kessel: -20, -10, 0

Kessel rushing to make a great back-check would have been something really noticeable even last year. This year? he's probably closed that -10 to 0 gap that many times.

Yes, this combo -- and the line with JVR -- is inadequate along the boards. They make up for it in the rush.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
It's easy to look at statistics and criticize Bozak, but with the old eyeballs, noting the fact that often times that line is being hemmed in the defensive zone, Bozak is crucial in actually exiting the zone/preventing chances.

He's a smart player, and if we can get him locked in for 3.5-4, that'd be great. Assuming we can move Grabovski and all.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I don't care if we have to move Grabo but for crying out loud you need to put the guy in a position he can pad his numbers so you get something good for him. If we got some junk for him it would be an enormous error on managements part.

That's the issue. When you do, he's tryin to go end-to-end (sometimes it works, his speed is killer), but typically he'll make dumb forced passes into teammates skates/opposition sticks, his vision is awful, and ye' old myth about him being 'good' defensively.

Where are you going to put him to pad his numbers? He's not better than Kadri or Bozak.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It almost makes you want to cry how little Bozak contributes offensively considering what he's given to work with. PPG Kessel, PPG Lupul, 60 point pace JVR, first power play unit, large percentage of offensive starts, 20+ minutes a night.

Somebody is going to give him too much money and be shocked when he can't produce more than 40 points.

If you watch, you know this to be true. The thing is Kessel and him are pretty much a single unit at this point. Head and neck is what they are so you have to look at it like, if Kessel is PPG playing with him and is happy and will stay so be it. Grabo literally played himself into odd man out status because of point production. If we let him go for nothing though I fear this team will take a setback. A hefty one at that, taking into full account he may just have a health issue.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's the issue. When you do, he's tryin to go end-to-end (sometimes it works, his speed is killer), but typically he'll make dumb forced passes into teammates skates/opposition sticks, his vision is awful, and ye' old myth about him being 'good' defensively.

Where are you going to put him to pad his numbers? He's not better than Kadri or Bozak.

I would play Grabo with Lupul possibly not because Kadri does not deserve it but because we may need to move him and Kadri can generally succeed from the third line anyways and with whoever.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
If you watch, you know this to be true. The thing is Kessel and him are pretty much a single unit at this point. Head and neck is what they are so you have to look at it like, if Kessel is PPG playing with him and is happy and will stay so be it. Grabo literally played himself into odd man out status because of point production. If we let him go for nothing though I fear this team will take a setback. A hefty one at that, taking into full account he may just have a health issue.

Bozak has literally nothing to do with Kessel being a PPG. Kessel will be a PPG regardless of who you play him with.

Bozak has terrible puck protection, is terrible along the boards, and has poor vision. I think he's a really bad match for Kessel, actually.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Kessel is an unreal talent!

The American Teemu!!!

If Boston offered us Seguin + Hamilton for Kessel i would tell them to F off!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad