Line Combos: Kessel banged up options

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I know the top line has produced and is a very good line on the offensive side of the puck but with kessel banged up they have become even less effective 5v5. I suggest that we take JVR off the top line and load up the middle lines and strengthen the 4th line when komorov is back to take almost all tough minutes off kessel while he's healing. this could give us a healthy kessel quicker and also give us a look at what JVR can do without Kessel my idea is
Winnik Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Santo
Clarkson Holland Lupul
Komorov Smith Panik

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know the top line has produced and is a very good line on the offensive side of the puck but with kessel banged up they have become even less effective 5v5. I suggest that we take JVR off the top line and load up the middle lines and strengthen the 4th line when komorov is back to take almost all tough minutes off kessel while he's healing. this could give us a healthy kessel quicker and also give us a look at what JVR can do without Kessel my idea is
Winnik Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Santo
Clarkson Holland Lupul
Komorov Smith Panik

I was going to suggest taking Kessel out of the line up entirely when the schedule allows for it and give him 2 games off. I don't know if 2 games helps at all, if it doesn't then maybe you keep him in but lower him down a line or two.

JVR-Bozak-Lupul
Komarov-Kadri-Santorelli
Winnik-Holland-Clarkson
Kozun-Smith-Panik

if he stays;

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Komarov-Bozak-Kessel
Holland-Santorelli-Clarkson
Winnik-Smith-Panik

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They should send Kessel to an all inclusive cookie resort down south for at least a week! :handclap:

He needs to heal up, and, he probably heals the best on cookies! :naughty:

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
i'm ok with this as long as the team doesn't have to pay/cookie and I can get a few pictures of uncle phil eating cookies in his elf christmas sweater

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Is Kessel banged up? When did that happen? He probably is the least physical hockey player I can think of so just when did he get injured? I know he went flying against Dallas but that did not look so bad unless he hurt his behind when he landed. But he looked a bit off before that.
I mean every player in the league have at least a minor injury but plays through it so I guess it must be something serious if it affect his play like this. Because it can not have anything to do with the players being "forced" to stick to the system, can it?

IAmBobo

Mar 9, 2013
Toronto
Colton Orr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santo
JVR - Holland - Clarkson
Winnik - Smith - Panik

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Is Kessel banged up? When did that happen? He probably is the least physical hockey player I can think of so just when did he get injured? I know he went flying against Dallas but that did not look so bad unless he hurt his behind when he landed. But he looked a bit off before that.
I mean every player in the league have at least a minor injury but plays through it so I guess it must be something serious if it affect his play like this. Because it can not have anything to do with the players being "forced" to stick to the system, can it?

Hockey players, as with athletes playing in all sports, can pick up injuries without there being any actual physical contact.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Being non Physical has nothing to do with getting hurt. Looks like his back to me.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Being non Physical has nothing to do with getting hurt. Looks like his back to me.

Sure, but hockey players who play a physical style, like most of them, never play a full season 100%. A non physical player should therefor have no problems at all to push him self through whatever pain he might feel. The idea that we should sit out best and highest paid player because he is "banged up" is imo ridiculous. Once we have secured home ice then sure, let him have a rest but until then it is gear up and play.

We need him to perform, score goals, set others up and that goes wether he is a little hurt or not.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sure, but hockey players who play a physical style, like most of them, never play a full season 100%. A non physical player should therefor have no problems at all to push him self through whatever pain he might feel. The idea that we should sit out best and highest paid player because he is "banged up" is imo ridiculous. Once we have secured home ice then sure, let him have a rest but until then it is gear up and play.

We need him to perform, score goals, set others up and that goes wether he is a little hurt or not.

Injuries aren't black and white, it depends on the severity and the likelihood of further damage that will determine if he sits.

Kessel hasn't missed a game in years, playing through pain isn't an issue with him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Injuries aren't black and white, it depends on the severity and the likelihood of further damage that will determine if he sits.

Kessel hasn't missed a game in years, playing through pain isn't an issue with him.

Exactly. For example a player can still hit the ice with a say a wrist injury but it will more than likely impact the power and accuracey of their shot. Its not the same thing as a broken foot.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

That is true, he has not missed a game. So that is good news, he at least learnt something in Boston about being a pro.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
For sure. :help:

I was referring to when he wanted to sit out the rest of the season (and the playoffs) when he hurt his shoulder and other Bruins played through worse injuries at the time. It was after that Recchi said something about him wanting to return and that 99% of the players in their dressing room wanted to win the cup. It was at least to most people obvious the 1% was want away Kessel who did not want to play through the pain or bend and fit in to their system and wanted to be one of the highest paid players on the team. But it all worked out, Phil got his dream move and the money he asked for, Bruins won the cup and boosted their prospect pool. And Leafs fans got, well, a very good winger. Hurrayyyyy....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yup, looks like lower back based on videos of his stretches. Lack of physicality may not be the issue as it might be related to other things.

What Are the Signs That Your Core Muscles Are Weak?

Lower Back Pain

Lower back pain is another good indicator of weakness in your core muscles. When your core isn’t as strong or balanced as it should be, the curvature of your lumbar spine can change. Even the slightest difference can place undue pressure on the vertebrae, discs or articulate facets that make up your spine, as well as the muscles, tendons and ligaments that surround it, making you much more prone to injury.

One has to wonder if Kessel's off-season workout & habits are now effecting his health? :help:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yup, looks like lower back based on videos of his stretches.

One has to wonder if Kessel's off-season workout & habits are now effecting his health? :help:

Didnt you hear, Kessel is one of the fittest leafs. Top 3 in camp in... some test. It was all over twitter. That the coach said he was overweight and that most who saw picks of him wondered what the hell he had done over the summer is just wrong or something.

silentbob37*

Weird that this would be an issue.

Earlier in the year all I heard from some people was how in shape kessel was and how he never missed games int he past and because of this and his style he was going tan ageless wonder and play the top of his game well into his 30's.......

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yup, looks like lower back based on videos of his stretches. Lack of physicality may not be the issue as it might be related to other things.

Back injuries are pretty common among Hockey Players.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
But that won't stop the Kessel bashers.

Very little will. Only Kessel can, but even that is an uphill struggle. Once you decided what kind of character some one is and if then most of what that player do and say just reinforce that perception it takes a lot of work on the persons part to change how people see him.

silentbob37*

But that won't stop the Kessel bashers.

Ever think thats partly because the "Kessel-lovers" refuse to acknowledge even the slightest flaw about him or his game, which makes some people overly defensive about their opinion?

I realize it works the other way as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad