Rumor: Kerby Rychel being offered in exchange for a D man

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Only thing I would add on Dmac and Letestu - You can only lock up so many 4th line players long term. That has been a major problem of the CBJ is we lock up way too may 3rd/4th line forwards long-term (it forces those guys to play up a line or two if a youngster earns a roster spot in camp). .

ROFL. Yeah, a huge problem. Let's just stick to the rumor.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
For Montreal, it makes sense as we just signed Jeff Petry to that six-year deal and may look to move a defenseman out to clear up some cap and make room for one of the young kids in the AHL.

Alexei Emelin - $4.1 million for 3 more years.
He hits but not as much pre-injuries to the knee. He's slowed down thanks to that and is a blackhole in puck possession numbers. What is alarming is that even the better puck possession guys see their numbers take a dip when paired with him. He's a bottom pairing guy that could inch his way into a top-4 if there are injuries or the d-core just isn't that good.

Tom Gilbert - $2.8 million for 1 more year.
He's serviceable but that's pretty much it. He's not that physical, but he moves the puck well and skates well too. He's inconsistent. In games where the pace is quick and the game is about moving the puck up and down the ice and playing solid defense with stick-work, Gilbert does well. In more physical games, where the pace is slow and grinding, Gilbert struggles.

Andrei Markov - $5.75 million for two more years.
I doubt he's available. 36 but he is still in the top 20 for points on ice-time among defenseman and plays 22-25 minutes per game, which is way too much and explains why he was burnt out by the time playoffs rolled around. My guess he sticks with the Habs and retires with the organization, but just throwing his name out there for the hell of it.

Jarred Tinordi - Currently an RFA.
Let me preface this by saying; I really, really, really like Tinordi as a prospect. But for some reason, he hasn't been able to tool everything together and make an impact at the NHL level. He's somewhat responsible defensively and throws his weight around but there's been times where he goes for the big, bone-crushing hit and it completely takes him out of the play as well. The coaching staff here wants him to focus away from that and more on positioning, stick-checking and smart down-low, which I'm not sure is something he excels at without being able to throw some hits. I think there comes a time where Tinordi may get a better chance at cracking the line-up of another team, and unfortunately it may not be with Montreal.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see any of the Habs options presented as something of interest for Rychel. Jackets are not looking for aging vets or bottom pair guys with term. Tinordi May be of interest but not in this situation. If Rychel is moved I have to believe it is for a similar prospect level on the defensive end or, more likely, in a deal fur a young top 4 guy

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Definite no to the first 3. No to the 4th, though I would trade for him, but not for Rychel.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
There has been hints of rumors of a rift forming already between CBJ brass and Rychel's camp as one of the reasons he would become available. anybody heard anything about this? Was it simply the injury factor and the logjam at forward?

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
There has been hints of rumors of a rift forming already between CBJ brass and Rychel's camp as one of the reasons he would become available. anybody heard anything about this? Was it simply the injury factor and the logjam at forward?

If it's anything other than the Injury factor, Rychel's camp can go suck an egg.

Rychel has the talent to beat out nearly every winger in front of him. If he's good enough, he'll be fine. If he isn't good enough, you cannot be mad at the team for being too good at your position. Suck it up and move on.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Yes, the rift was there before the season started. Rychel has the same agent as Johansen. He made the negotiations with Rychel, a simple entry level contract, a huge pain in the ass.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Rychel has the same agent as Johansen.

Our " lovely" Kurt Overhardt ? :laugh:

20081207__20081208_B02_SP08INTERVIEW~p1_200.JPG

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

In 2009, client Brandon Dubinsky missed one week of training camp in a contract dispute with the Rangers. Post-Turris, there was a staredown between Ryan Kesler and the Canucks, where Overhardt refused to give Vancouver many trade options. Columbus was annoyed last season at how long it took to get Kerby Rychel’s rookie deal done. Now there’s the Johansen situation.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...te-shining-spotlight-on-agent-kurt-overhardt/

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Why would there be a rift for a player that isn't even close to RFA status? They aren't even thinking about his next contract yet. Rychel got a few games last season, so it's not like he's being buried.

I don't see why the Jackets would consider selling low to avoid a RFA contract that is so far down the road.

His agent might be a pain in the ass, but I can't see them shopping a young kid because of that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It is probably more than just his agent.

I have heard his dad was very active and outspoken about Kerby's career even before he got drafted.

Rychel missed a long time with that concussion. Longer than many other players do. It was essentially February on which could be a red flag. It isn't extremely uncommon to miss that long, but ideally guys only miss a month or so.

Also, his place on the depth chart is questionable. While Wennberg and Dano are ahead, it isn't unlikely that Anderson has also passed him if they are happy with the top-6 and are looking for bottom-6 wingers.

Finally, while Portzline believes Rychel will be a top player in the future, we don't know how Kekkalainen and Davidson view him.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I have heard his dad was very active and outspoken about Kerby's career even before he got drafted.

Rychel missed a long time with that concussion. Longer than many other players do. It was essentially February on which could be a red flag. It isn't extremely uncommon to miss that long, but ideally guys only miss a month or so.

Also, his place on the depth chart is questionable. While Wennberg and Dano are ahead, it isn't unlikely that Anderson has also passed him if they are happy with the top-6 and are looking for bottom-6 wingers.

Finally, while Portzline believes Rychel will be a top player in the future, we don't know how Kekkalainen and Davidson view him.

I hope they view him as a top 6 winger...i mean they only drafted the kid 2 years ago..

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Uhh...no. See: Crosby, Sidney.

There are varying degrees of concussions and everyone responds differently. There are protocols in place and certain exercises to go through without showing any symptoms. Heck, look how long Calvert missed.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I hope they view him as a top 6 winger...i mean they only drafted the kid 2 years ago..

One of three first rounders is still a first rounder. One thing you have to credit to Jarmo that neither of his predecessors had was the ability to shed players quickly if deemed necessary. With MacLean, the negotiations for Rychel would have been much more public and toxic and Howson would have not said anything until he was absolutely backed into a corner or been absolutely forced to make a move.

Depth gives you some options, but, again, still a first rounder, probably on every team's board.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

Don't have anything concrete to offer, but thought I'd second your opinion. I've heard through the grapevine that Rychel's dad subscribes to the theory that "Father knows best" when it comes to Kerby's development plan.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Uhh...no. See: Crosby, Sidney.

There are varying degrees of concussions and everyone responds differently. There are protocols in place and certain exercises to go through without showing any symptoms. Heck, look how long Calvert missed.

Crosby was misdiagnosed with a neck issue originally which really delayed his recovery.

Also, as Nanibijou heard it through the grapevine, I also have heard it through the grapevine both about his father being a nuisance as well as the team felt Rychel dragged out his recovery and should have returned sooner.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
One of three first rounders is still a first rounder. One thing you have to credit to Jarmo that neither of his predecessors had was the ability to shed players quickly if deemed necessary. With MacLean, the negotiations for Rychel would have been much more public and toxic and Howson would have not said anything until he was absolutely backed into a corner or been absolutely forced to make a move.

Depth gives you some options, but, again, still a first rounder, probably on every team's board.

I don't agree with the bolded for either one. Oliwa was traded pretty quickly, Odelein was traded after what MacLean referred to recently as "something". Howson turned over half the roster he inherited in barely 12 months.

In this case, we don't even know if there is an issue, and the player in question is still very much here.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I don't agree with the bolded for either one. Oliwa was traded pretty quickly, Odelein was traded after what MacLean referred to recently as "something". Howson turned over half the roster he inherited in barely 12 months.

In this case, we don't even know if there is an issue, and the player in question is still very much here.

Maybe I should have prefaced it with "as talent And depth dictated"

scoob4093

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2003
Springfield Ma.
Visit site
Crosby was misdiagnosed with a neck issue originally which really delayed his recovery.

Also, as Nanibijou heard it through the grapevine, I also have heard it through the grapevine both about his father being a nuisance as well as the team felt Rychel dragged out his recovery and should have returned sooner.

You are not the only one who heard or thought that. No one here even saw or knew when he suffered this concussion. He basically took the last 2 months off as the team was going down the toilet and right or wrong many thought he was goldbricking.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Rychel is available as suggested I'm bullish on pushing for Connor Murphy. He isn't a top pair guy right now but has the skills to be and would fit in nicely with this team. I have no idea of value but would suggest offering something like:

To Phoenix: Rychel, Anaheim 2nd, Chaput

To Columbus: Murphy

At that point I think it opens up more options with the #8 OA pick in the draft. Take Provorov or Werenski or Barzal or Rantanen or Zacha at #8. I would try similar efforts for Ryan Ellis, Erik Gudbranson or Damon Severson with varying assets but trying to hold the 8OA if at all possible....

I think Rychel is a pretty big chip personally. I don't WANT to move him but do think we have the depth on the LW to make it easier to stomach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad