News Article: Ken Wiebe sits down with Paul Maurice for an exit interview.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Well I like the open competition for the net. Sounds like they want to re-sign Hutch for a 3 way crease battle. Doesn't sound like they have any intention of signing Pav before the season starts as Mo mentions his contract year.

Looks like if Trouba doesn't commit to the Jets he could be moved. All indications are that #55 wants to be here long term.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Would be sad to see Trouba go, but I guess that opens the door for Hamonic.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Sounds like Huddy and Vincent will be back for next season. Maurice falling on the sword for the special teams woes.

You can say that you've got great coaches working for you, but the proof is on the ice. Their special teams were an absolute dumpster fire this season, and I don't know how Maurice keeps his job if they're as bad next season.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm not liking the quote about free agents. Hopefully it's not foreshadowing problems signing Trouba (or worse, Scheifele).

Otherwise, great interview. Thanks for posting. I'd have never found it otherwise.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There is a great deal of chance and variance in PK and PP so I buy waiting it out before acting too hastily with the assistant coaching changes.

Man Maurice knows how to butter the fan-base up :laugh: :

I absolutely love living in Winnipeg. My perfect world is that we have great success and win a bunch of Stanley Cups and for my kids to raise their families in Winnipeg. That would be perfect for me.

The only thing missing is promising to name his first grandson Teemu

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Sounds like Huddy and Vincent will be back for next season. Maurice falling on the sword for the special teams woes.

You can say that you've got great coaches working for you, but the proof is on the ice. Their special teams were an absolute dumpster fire this season, and I don't know how Maurice keeps his job if they're as bad next season.

Yep, if the special teams are as terrible as last season, someone will be going and it won't be Chevy.

Simply can't make playoffs with those special teams numbers.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

To be fair, coaches typically get fired every couple years and are constantly moving their families all around North America. They have less stability than players. Lots go a year or two between coaching gigs. Maurice, as lucky (and good?) as he has been to land several stable gigs, went a year between Carolina and Winnipeg (no idea if he coached overseas...).

I suspect it has incredibly little to do with Winnipeg and more to do with that just being the dream for any coach. Success in your career + stability for your family = don't care where it happens.

Then again... he didn't actually answer the question at all. So maybe it was a sidestep and took the opportunity to just butter up the fan base.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Good read. I like the part about how fans have their favorites and those they hate and can't figure out why they're on the team... lol I think we can all assume he's heard his fair share of Pavs/Stu bashing.

I hope we don't lose Trouba this off season. He's really looked solid for us even being saddled with Stu. Hamonic might be a good player, but his injuries keep adding up. If it comes to it, we should deal Myers long before Trouba is put in a situation where he gets paid a bit more elsewhere. Unless of course he has no intention of sticking with his buddies Copp and Scheifele, which would surprise me a bit.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Would be sad to see Trouba go, but I guess that opens the door for Hamonic.

Well Trouba is much better and much younger, so I don't really see the silver lining.

I know that there have been issues, but how predictive are special teams, really?

One team could have a toilet PK/PP one year, then perfectly average the next. It happens all the time.

I just hope it can be both at the same time.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Love the way they relatively openly speak about our opinions and wht PoMo is think about it.

Good job Mr. Wiebe! I think I'll actually have to send him a nod via twitter. We maybe should do it together so he actually recognizes the HFlove?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
great article. great questions asked.
only thing missing was asking about Corsi #s for guys like Chiarot, Stuart and (for him being benched) Postma.
his answer about Trouba and Scheifele was excellent and foreshadows what may happen this offseason.
you do get the impression that you have Buff, Scheif and Wheeler as guys that have this as their team and want to be in Winnipeg and win in Winnipeg. if you don't like it, screw off.
that's how it should be.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Our puck-possession numbers are quite good, I'm not necessarily talking about Corsi, but our offensive-zone time and shots generated. That's why I'm not worried about the offence. The chances were generated at five-on-five and the finish will come. But I knew that it was not easy to put people in their roles right away. That's something that has to get worked through and that's really what the year was for us. Helping define roles and helping some of those players grow.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Pavelec is going into the last year of his contract, it's a huge year for him. He's going to the World Cup and we'll expect that he is going to be at his most focused.

Maurice still trying to be positive about Pavelec. Why even mention the World Cup. Sure Pavelec is going, but the whole world knows it's only to help load and unload the equipment off the bus.

I do like him saying "It's an open competition". Now let's see if that comes true. Let the best goalie take the #1 as it should be.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pavelec is going into the last year of his contract, it's a huge year for him. He's going to the World Cup and we'll expect that he is going to be at his most focused.

Maurice still trying to be positive about Pavelec. Why even mention the World Cup. Sure Pavelec is going, but the whole world knows it's only to help load and unload the equipment off the bus.

I do like him saying "It's an open competition". Now let's see if that comes true. Let the best goalie take the #1 as it should be.

He might never see the net in that tournament. Maybe that practice watching games from the bench will help him deal with it when it happens here? :sarcasm:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah let's hope the phrase "it's a huge year for him" is significant in that it indicates that Pav needs to show the world something if he hopes to get another chance with some OTHER TEAM in the NHL rather than earning him more time with the Jets...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The key quote of the interview:

"..if they don't look at the Winnipeg Jets as a team that they would want to play the rest of their careers for, then anybody can get traded. I like the guys, I like them all. But that commitment to Winnipeg is really important and that's the fabric of our team.."

That is a direct reference to Trouba.
Everything else is old.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
How is that part in of itself a reference to Trouba? It's an open disclaimer to everyone on the team that if you don't like it here and can't make it work, then you can and will be traded. PMo explicitly avoided talking in specifics during all of that

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
The key quote of the interview:

"..if they don't look at the Winnipeg Jets as a team that they would want to play the rest of their careers for, then anybody can get traded. I like the guys, I like them all. But that commitment to Winnipeg is really important and that's the fabric of our team.."

That is a direct reference to Trouba.
Everything else is old.

That is exactly how I read it as well. Scheifele has openly stated he wants to be a Winnipeg Jet for life so obviously it wasn't directed at him. I would be sad to see Trouba go, but if we could get a great LHD to replace him it would be worth it.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
How is that part in of itself a reference to Trouba? It's an open disclaimer to everyone on the team that if you don't like it here and can't make it work, then you can and will be traded. PMo explicitly avoided talking in specifics during all of that

I took it that way, because the question was referencing Scheifele and Trouba.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I took it that way, because the question was referencing Scheifele and Trouba.

That line would mean more if they hadn't waited until they had no choice but to trade EK. If reports are correcte he asked to be traded every year. Maybe they learned from that, who knows?

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
There is a great deal of chance and variance in PK and PP so I buy waiting it out before acting too hastily with the assistant coaching changes.

You mean Mark. As in Mark Wheeler. :)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Agree, very good interview. Wiebe asked most of the questions we all want asked. Maurice for the most part, gave the answers I wanted to hear. Aside from perhaps on special teams coaches. But if they have decided to give those guys another year, there's not much else he can say. At least there is recognition on the special teams problem, and that it is responsible for many of the Jets woes this year.

I agree that the comment on commitment to Winnipeg was likely regarding Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great interview. Maurice confirmed some of the thoughts batted around here about the Jets youth transition this year, and how the Jets brain trust felt that the team needed to move to a new core that would be able to truly compete in the longer term.

Not sure what to make about the answer re: Scheif and Trouba, but I think you could interpret that they either have a sense that there is reluctance to sign long-term, or they have had no indication at all. Knowing who Trouba's agent is, there is a possibility that he'll try to play games to try to inch him towards UFA as early as possible as he did with RyJo. Whether or not that's what Trouba wants might remain to be seen.

Now that the Jets feel that they have some options in net, it seems clear that Pavs is not going to be anointed the #1 spot. I think it's Hellebuyck's to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad