Ken Holland's Remarks about the off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
In that event, perhaps we could trade him to one of the Alpha Centaurian hockey clubs.

I'm not sure what's making people think that the likes of the Islanders are possible destinations for Howard. For that matter, I don't understand how there's any sense in trading the guy at all.

I dont thin We;ll sign Miller at all but this is one more reason why we wont for the fans of signing miller

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Because it's the offseason and people are discussing potential ways to improve the team.

But it really isn't. He has a big contract that is hard to trade. He just completed the first year of that contract. It makes no sense to trade it. Ryan Miller isn't that much better than Howard as of now.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I don't think we have too many needs on offense. Part of the reason our offense sucked last year was guys like Cleary/Sammy/Bert playing ~50/25/60 games. That's a big chunk of games with a lot of lesser quality players. And of course our injuries to guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, and Alfie.

And improving our defense will also bolster our offense. The lack of an RH shot and a lack of PMD's is really killing our ability to create offense. You insert a couple of defensemen who can make a good outlet pass in place of guys like Kindl and Lashoff and you have a way better team. We desperately do need improvements on defense. Not just on the defensive side of it, but in their ability to help generate offense. Lidstrom and Raffy were huge in that and we've never replaced them. We just lost a ton of points when those guys retired.

And while Pavelski is killer, I'd wait until Nyquist and Tatar get a couple seasons under their belt. Most players tend to do better after they're in the league for a few years and figure things out and develop their games. Nyquist showed he could potentially be a superstar last season. While I personally think it was a bit of an aberration, who knows?

6 goals in 5 games against Boston. If Datsyuk isn't driving the play nobody is. Our offense is weaker than fans care to admit.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
But it really isn't. He has a big contract that is hard to trade. He just completed the first year of that contract. It makes no sense to trade it. Ryan Miller isn't that much better than Howard as of now.

here is the critical thinking

howard and miller are equally as good as each other today so thus no downgrade

mrazek will be better then jimmy before jimmys contract expires in five years

we will not employ a 5 million dollar backup when that time comes(est 3 years)

jimmy may have small value now but in three years he will have no value

the thinking is, IF we could trade jimmy for something decent today then why not? and then sign miller for three years so their is no obstacle in Mrazeks way or a handcuffing contract down the line

just peope thinking outside he box

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
here is the critical thinking

howard and miller are equally as good as each other today so thus no downgrade

mrazek will be better then jimmy before jimmys contract expires in five years

we will not employ a 5 million dollar backup when that time comes(est 3 years)

jimmy may have small value now but in three years he will have no value

the thinking is, IF we could trade jimmy for something decent today then why not? and then sign miller for three years so their is no obstacle in Mrazeks way or a handcuffing contract down the line

just peope thinking outside he box

This line of thinking also ignores Miller probably wants to cash in one more long-term contract (his last) which is pretty important given he is a guy like Howard that took a long time to get up and make big money.

In that sense I have thought a lot of people have been out to lunch on Miller. He might not get it, but if he cannot get to California, my guess is he would have looked at the Islanders for big money as hilarious as that is it gets him to New York City for his actress wife, but Halak has now closed that door. In any event, he could just become a highest bidder sans Edmonton or Winnipeg locals.

Miller hasn't banked quite as much money as people think, he might not be open to the three year contract a lot of people like to throw out there. We will see, it would be interesting to get him as a stop gap to Mrazek, but I find it incredibly unlikely and not just because we would have to move Howard to get there, but because I don't think Miller would make the exit much easier and he will likely command a full NMC for the duration of his contract.

Last edited:

NyquistIsMyGod*

Halak got 4.5M over 4 years. Miller's likely looking around 6x6 at the minimum. Not many open goalie spots though.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This line of thinking also ignores Miller probably wants to cash in one more long-term contract (his last) which is pretty important given he is a guy like Howard that took a long time to get up and make big money.

In that sense I have thought a lot of people have been out to lunch on Miller. He might not get it, but if he cannot get to California, my guess is he would have looked at the Islanders for big money as hilarious as that is it gets him to New York City for his actress wife, but Halak has now closed that door. In any event, he could just become a highest bidder sans Edmonton or Winnipeg locals.

Miller hasn't banked quite as much money as people think, he might not be open to the three year contract a lot of people like to throw out there. We will see, it would be interesting to get him as a stop gap to Mrazek, but I find it incredibly unlikely and not just because we would have to move Howard to get there, but because I don't think Miller would make the exit much easier and he will likely command a full NMC for the duration of his contract.

the idea is based on the ability that you could get miller at 3 years/15 million

i would give miller a NMC for three years as its three years I predict before mrazek is truly entrenched as out 50 plus game a season starter, and the beauty of that to some is it menas not payiny howard 10 million to ride the bench the final two years of his contract

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not much else to do now. Playoffs still running. Our team is out. We're all sitting on our hands waiting to see what happens next.

39 days until July 1st. Everybody get cozy.

June 27–28 draft, although we don't have our second rounder, thanks to 15 games of Legwand because Holland.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
June 27–28 draft, although we don't have our second rounder, thanks to 15 games of Legwand because Holland.

Yes, Legwand, without whom the team's season would have ended on April 13th, and its playoff streak at 22.

But really, I understand your unhappiness; after all, the organization is totally devoid of good prospects, and this year's draft class is spectacular. (Note: sarcasm.)

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Yes, Legwand, without whom the team's season would have ended on April 13th, and its playoff streak at 22.

But really, I understand your unhappiness; after all, the organization is totally devoid of good prospects, and this year's draft class is spectacular. (Note: sarcasm.)

And I understand your happiness with how the Legwand trade saved the all-important playoff streak... like many here, I was sweating bullets that Kenny wouldn't get the 23rd straight participation trophy to put his in office- crisis averted! And sure, his prize acquisition was relegated to 4th line duty despite a lack of quality centers and was a non-factor against Boston but it was still a case of assets well-spent in my book (Note: sarc... yeah, you probably get it).

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Would have made the playoffs with or without legwand especially if prospects were promoted when ready. Just playing Jarnkrok would have worked out better than trading him and a second for 15 games of lateral or worse move in talent.

On the flip side that one playoff win and what, 3 goals was so worth it. Love me a team built for that first round exit.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Would have made the playoffs with or without legwand especially if prospects were promoted when ready.

With or without Legwand, eh? Something tells me the team wouldn't have won many games with Joakim Andersson as 1st line center.

Just playing Jarnkrok would have worked out better than trading him and a second for 15 games of lateral or worse move in talent.

Somehow, I don't think that management would decide to take Jarnkrok, who at the time had less than a season of AHL experience and not a single game in the NHL and was being outscored on the Griffins by Cory Emmerton, and promote him to 1st-line center. Whether or not you believe that his point total in his short stint with the Predators was inflated (hint: it was), you have the benefit of hindsight on the matter; though this may come as a surprise to you, nobody, Holland included, can divine the future.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And I understand your happiness with how the Legwand trade saved the all-important playoff streak... like many here, I was sweating bullets that Kenny wouldn't get the 23rd straight participation trophy to put his in office- crisis averted! And sure, his prize acquisition was relegated to 4th line duty despite a lack of quality centers and was a non-factor against Boston but it was still a case of assets well-spent in my book (Note: sarc... yeah, you probably get it).

I'd much rather try to make the playoffs than keep a moody prospect around who threatens to go home when things do go his way.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'd much rather try to make the playoffs than keep a moody prospect around who threatens to go home when things do go his way.

Like I said, the streak remains intact so I'm sure there were awkward white guy high fives given all around the Wings front office when they clinched the #8 seed. And honestly, the move to the EC was by far the largest factor in Detroit making it in this season; they weren't sniffing the postseason if they remained in the Central.

I'd guess that there were other ways or times to move Jarnkrok instead of in a desperation deal for a guy who vanished when the PO's started.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Like I said, the streak remains intact so I'm sure there were awkward white guy high fives given all around the Wings front office when they clinched the #8 seed. And honestly, the move to the EC was by far the largest factor in Detroit making it in this season; they weren't sniffing the postseason if they remained in the Central.

I'd guess that there were other ways or times to move Jarnkrok instead of in a desperation deal for a guy who vanished when the PO's started.

If Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't injured half the year (as well as the other key injuries) I'm confident they'd finish higher than 8th in the East, so I don't know what your point is there. Once you make the playoffs you never know what could happen. It's worth finding out.

Jarnkrok was getting moved eventually. I'm betting his agent told Holland he wasn't going to play another year in the AHL. So he either needed to be on Detroit next year or he was going back to Sweden this offseason. Seemed like a easy decision to move him to help make the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Once you make the playoffs you never know what could happen. It's worth finding out.

No.

When it's obvious you're best players aren't going to be healthy for the start of the playoffs, not anything can happen. It's overwhelmingly likely you will go nowhere in the playoffs. When you're in the midst of a season like that, it makes no sense to make a trade at deadline. Legwand can get you to the playoffs (if you believe that he did), but he can't make D and Z healthy once were there. And if D and Z aren't healthy we're going nowhere.

Nyquist leading the league in goals for 4 months is why we made the playoffs more than anything.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No.

When it's obvious you're best players aren't going to be healthy for the start of the playoffs, not anything can happen. It's overwhelmingly likely you will go nowhere in the playoffs. When you're in the midst of a season like that, it makes no sense to make a trade at deadline. Legwand can get you to the playoffs (if you believe that he did), but he can't make D and Z healthy once were there. And if D and Z aren't healthy we're going nowhere.

Nyquist leading the league in goals for 4 months is why we made the playoffs more than anything.

This is the Detroit Red Wings, not the Calgary Flames. Like it or not they'll do whatever they have to do to make the playoffs. I don't know how people think management would be ok throwing in the towel when they have a shot to make it in.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is the Detroit Red Wings, not the Calgary Flames. Like it or not they'll do whatever they have to do to make the playoffs. I don't know how people think management would be ok throwing in the towel when they have a shot to make it in.

I just don't understand how it's perceived as "throwing in the towel" where you build a team good enough for the playoffs, just have bad luck with a year absolutely crippled by injuries.

Not making a trade during a season like that is just not being stupid, in my opinion. Wouldn't call it giving up at all.

Holland has an obligation to make a trade anytime we are hit with injuries? Seems foolish to me. The best move was to make no move. If we were unable to land a defenseman.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I don't think the team makes the playoffs without Legwand personally. I thought he was really good for 10 games or so, and when Babs placed him on the fourth line, I thought it was bizare. To me at least, the playoffs mean a lot. Even when going after free agents. Getting in with that team did a lot for Babcock, and the orginization IMO.

Once you get in, I honestly believe anything is possible in this sport. Many of you predicted Detroit over Boston.

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
6 goals in 5 games against Boston. If Datsyuk isn't driving the play nobody is. Our offense is weaker than fans care to admit.

No, you are completely missing the point as many have. We do not have the proper personnel on the back end to drive the play. Our defensive zone to neutral zone transitions are terrible, this is due to a lack of puck moving defensemen, or inexperience. This is not due to a weak offense. We actually have a pretty good forward pool.

Better defenseman, better puck movement from the back end, will result in a better transition game, and thus.... OFFENSE. Its really that simple. Improving the D, improves the team in offense and defense.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I just don't understand how it's perceived as "throwing in the towel" where you build a team good enough for the playoffs, just have bad luck with a year absolutely crippled by injuries.

Not making a trade during a season like that is just not being stupid, in my opinion. Wouldn't call it giving up at all.

Holland has an obligation to make a trade anytime we are hit with injuries? Seems foolish to me. The best move was to make no move. If we were unable to land a defenseman.

Ok, but Jarnkrok is probably gone this offseason anyway. So they'd be losing him for nothing (probably). Holland was aware of the situation, and I don't believe for a second management would trade a blue chip prospect (as many on here perceived him to be) for a 20-game band aide and "to keep the streak going." If Jarnkrok was in their plans going forward they would have likely traded the first round pick (or other prospects) instead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad