Confirmed with Link: Kelly McCrimmon Hired As Asst GM

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV

I'm not a huge CHL guy, anyone have any info?

Unconfirmed by multiple sources with the team. I'll let you all know if I can get official word one way or the other. I will say, neither person I spoke to seemed caught off guard by the mention of the name though.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He is one of the great identifiers of talent in the WHL. Owns,GMs and coaches the Wheat Kings. Small city and small market club that is ultra successful. Shrewd hockey mind

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
McCrimmon was in talks with the Leafs last year and refused because of his love for Brandon. He's built a team since 1988 and has missed the playoffs once I believe. The guy is brilliant at junior level hockey and could Las Vegas' Mark Hunter.

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
There was a connection between the two last year with the Maple Leafs. Apparently McPhee was close to getting the GM job and he was going to bring McCrimmon with him. No clue where their paths crossed before that.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
There was a connection between the two last year with the Maple Leafs. Apparently McPhee was close to getting the GM job and he was going to bring McCrimmon with him. No clue where their paths crossed before that.

McCrimmon was offered a position by Shanahan but didn't want to leave Brandon. Can't blame him, he had an outstanding season this year.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So if this is happening, I'm guessing it's going to take a while.

The Wheat Kings will need a new GM and Coach if he's coming here. I'm assuming he'll want to continue owning the team, but he's (obviously) not going to be able to coach or have his fingers on the day to day operations in Brandon.

If the Wheat Kings start hiring people, I guess we'll know.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As a few have already stated, Leafs went hard after him last summer.

He turned the offer down as he was building a Memorial Cup calibre team in Brandon. He ended up being right and his team won the WHL.

He's a very smart guy. If true, you'll be happy with him.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Grew up watching he and his brother Brad with the Wheat Kings...Amazing job he has done as the owner/GM/coach of the team. I have a person within the organization who has repeatedly stated Kelly is a quality hockey guy and puts everything into his job.

Ironic that losing my place in the Wheat Kings box seat means Kelly will be the Vegas Asst. GM. Very cool...

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
McCrimmon would be a great asset for an expansion team. Keep building a strong management team and the on ice team will reflect it before long.

Does Guy still post here? Haven't noticed him in awhile.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Jun 6, 2016
Management actually looking....pretty...pretty....Pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad