Injury Report: Keith sick - missed the Wild game, should be back for the Jackets game

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Don't understand your post. Viruses mutate when they are actively replicating in a host. I realize the symptoms might not be bad in every mumps patient, but outbreaks (like in the NHL right now) increase the rate the virus replicates which increases the chance it will mutate. Although vaccination isn't perfect, it helps prevent symptoms AND curbs replication and mutation of the virus in the population. Maybe I missed something, but usually the knowledge viruses mutate makes people proponents of vaccination.

If you get a flu shot in the future ask for the inactivated vaccine instead of live. Also strep throat is caused by a bacteria, not a virus. So there isn't any logical connection between the flu shot and strep throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inactivated_vaccine

15-20% risk of orchitis with mumps? You must have a high pain threshold.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/777456-overview

Virus' mutate via salvation - they adapt and then mutate, hence we use words like "strain."

As far as getting sick...

I get sick about once every 2 years but it was more like once every 3 months after my flu shot and that nonsense lased for almost a decade, my immune system is pretty much back to normal now.

The flu shot didn't help me.... It made me sick and without question weakened my immune system.

Now, I'm not saying shots are bad but just sharing my experiences with them.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Interesting, because the same thing happened to me after my first ever flu shot last year. While I did not get deathly ill, I got a string of three pretty bad illnesses in a row with only about two-three days healthy between them, and they were different illnesses. I usually get maybe one cold per season, and usually fairly mild. Even though they say the flu vaccine cannot cause illness, it must lower immunity or something temporarily, because I had never had a series of illnesses like that in my entire life before then. I did not get it again this year because of that.

I am not anti-vaccine at all for the required vaccinations, and my children receive all theirs.

I suppose we're in the same boat... I almost never got sick as a kid or an adult yet my employer demanded we all go flu shots and what do you know? I'm sick all the time..

For nearly a decade I had "flu like symptoms" (sneezing and runny nose) for a flippin' decade but I'm not sick..... At least it has ceased over the past year tho... It was embarrassing tho having a consistent runny nose.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
when you get an immunization shot, its only certain strains of the virus that docs think will be the strains that are dominant for that season. So you can still get the virus if the strain isn't the kind that you were immunized for.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Virus' mutate via salvation - they adapt and then mutate, hence we use words like "strain."

Technically viral replication (where mutations happen) occurs in nasal or upper respiratory epithelial cells before the mumps virus makes its way to the salivary glands (where salvation happens). Regardless, the human body is the host for viral replication where mutations occur. Unlike other viruses, mump's only known natural host/reservoir is humans. So each human it infects allows mumps to continue to live, replicate more, and mutate more.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Doctors are saying this year's flu shot is not as effective because the strain has mutated.

Flu shots are ********. I would only consider getting one if I were immunocompromised or old.

Second biggest sham or farce on the planet. What's holding it out of first? Bottled water (and the outrageous price tag it often carries).

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Flu shots are ********. I would only consider getting one if I were immunocompromised or old.

Second biggest sham or farce on the planet. What's holding it out of first? Bottled water (and the outrageous price tag it often carries).

Mine are free so even assuming they arent that effective, it still makes sense to get one.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Scott King‏@ScottKingMedia·2 mins2 minutes ago
Duncan Keith getting onto the ice at Johnny's for #Blackhawks practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad