Injury Report: Keith sick - missed the Wild game, should be back for the Jackets game

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Vaccinate your children, pro sports stars.

This is, oddly, a good thing. Keith has really played a great deal of minutes this season... every game. A rest for his legs is a great thing. He'll have 6 days between games... good for him. Now being sick is not so great --- so this is the least ideal way to get a break (apart from injury). Still rest for the legs is good. Hope he gets better.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I hope they quarantined him in a hurry. Unfortunately, he could have had it for a couple weeks now. I am usually pretty positive, but it seems as though Duncs has mumps based on Qs interview today. I don't think he knew for sure, but it seemed it was a concern that could be what is going on.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I hope they quarantined him in a hurry. Unfortunately, he could have had it for a couple weeks now. I am usually pretty positive, but it seems as though Duncs has mumps based on Qs interview today. I don't think he knew for sure, but it seemed it was a concern that could be what is going on.

He was a carrier for mumps for days before he started to show symptoms unfortunately. Its to the point where I think the league should consider taking an extra few days during the allstar break to let people show symptoms and be quarantined. If not this could carry into the playoffs.

Pit Martin*

He was a carrier for mumps for days before he started to show symptoms unfortunately. Its to the point where I think the league should consider taking an extra few days during the allstar break to let people show symptoms and be quarantined. If not this could carry into the playoffs.

pretty hard to believe this rich-ass league of idiots can't nip this crap in the bud. holy moley:amazed:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Jumps can have serious consequences in adults...I just saw my doctor today and asked if the vaccination and booster shot I had as a kid is still protecting me or has worn off...they are supposed to protect for life but given the crazy outbreak in the NIL which could spread to the general population maybe everyone should get re-tested to determine if the anti-bodies in your system are still potent against this virus or have decayed..If decayed to below levels needed for protection then getting a new booster shot may be necessary though since they use a live virus in the vaccine it has risks and also cannot be used with patients taking medications that can lower immune systems..Since I take such a med...I could be up the creek if this does spread to the general population..It could create a real medical dilemma fir many doctors and their patients. Thesis no trivial or joking matter.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope it's not the mumps, and changing the title until we know for sure, but just FYI mumps is a bit of an odd one as the overall success rate of the mumps vaccination is actually surprisingly low. According to the CDC....

Mumps vaccine is the best way to prevent mumps. This vaccine is included in the combination measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) and measles-mumps-rubella-varicella (MMRV) vaccines. Two doses of mumps vaccine are 88% (range: 66-95%) effective at preventing the disease; one dose is 78% (range: 49%−92%) effective. The first vaccine against mumps was licensed in the United States in 1967, and by 2005, high two-dose childhood vaccination coverage reduced disease rates by 99%.

http://www.cdc.gov/mumps/vaccination.html

There's a decent chance that everybody that's been afflicted by the disease so far in the NHL has been vaccinated and the law of averages in a high-communicable world like an NHL locker room/rink just means that when it gets in it can spread.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The swayt part may be more dangerous a threat to spread it than saliva..You are mot likely to get it via getting in the way of a player spitting...but what if a carrier gets his sweaty hands on some railing or doorknob...imagine the contact of others likely to touch those surfaces...Imagine say popcorn vendor at the UC touches some surface contaminated by the sweaty player carrier..Thebpopcorn guy then could early pass ition to you in the stands who contacts the sweaty hand of the popcorn guy or the surface of Thebpopcornbguy bag he hands.you..It could spread..The real issue though is whether the shots taken as kids still protect or in a surprise to the medical community have degenerated.on protection faster Thames they had assumed...I gather there was some change in the regime of shots on 1967 I think it was..and so I am not sure if it is only those who had shots after that whose anti-bodies depleted faster or those in the previous shot regime who now face the greater risk the older they are..Give the ages of the players getting the jumps.I suspect it was the more recent regime of the vaccination that was not as potent or long-lasting in prevention..As I am in the older regime before the changed it,maybe my anti-bodies.to fight this are ok? But I am going for a test just to be sure..yet if not active enough then I face a dilemma of stopping my other med to get a booster and risk other consequences even if I can get the boosted.. So this issue is very complex and could be serious for different age segments and different medical situations within the population.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
@ChrisKuc: #Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said it's "unlikely" Duncan Keith has the mumps.

LandofLincoln*

There's several lockerrooms that the NBA and NHL probably share. I wonder if it will spread to the NBA.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Caught the mumps in high school- wasn't unvaccinated but i had mono egicg compromised my immune system and left me susceptible. I wouldn't say it felt particularly debilitating or serious , mostky just annoying. The most important thing seemed to be that I limit human contact to reduce chances of spreading it.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Vaccinate your children, pro sports stars.

I got a flu shot about 10 years ago because it was mandatory at the place I worked and that shot made me deathly ill almost immediately after the shot I got a fever and I was out of work for a week and I have had a persistent runny nose ever since, oh and to top things off less than a month after getting the shot I got sick again with strep throat.... Before my shot I almost never got a flu and hardly ever got sick.

As far as the mumps, I was inoculated/vaccinated at birth for the mumps and other diseases, besides mumps is such a rare and difficult virus to get anyway - which makes this whole NHL outbreak even that more bizarre.

Besides, once you get the mumps you become immune to the virus again so.... it's like chicken pox.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Caught the mumps in high school- wasn't unvaccinated but i had mono egicg compromised my immune system and left me susceptible. I wouldn't say it felt particularly debilitating or serious , mostky just annoying. The most important thing seemed to be that I limit human contact to reduce chances of spreading it.

Viruses can mutate, which is why some people end up getting a virus they've already been vaccinated for - because it's not the same strain they were inoculated with when they got their shot.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Jay Zawaski‏@JayZawaski670·14 secs14 seconds ago
Source tells me the Hawks will get Keith's test results today.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Viruses can mutate, which is why some people end up getting a virus they've already been vaccinated for - because it's not the same strain they were inoculated with when they got their shot.

This CBC article also says only 1 MMR shot was required from 1970-1992. The article says 1 shot is only 70-80% effective at producing an immune response that creates the necessary antibodies to fight the virus. In the '90s the 2 shot regimen become protocol which is 90% effective.

Players vaccinated in 1992 or before have a 20-30% chance of not having the antibodies to fight the virus. Even players with 2 MMR's have a 10% chance of not having the necessary antibodies. Add on to that players not vaccinated and the virus mutating and there are probably a lot of players at risk.

The league needs to get this under control.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/nhl-mumps-outbreak-7-big-questions-answered-1.2873761

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This CBC article also says only 1 MMR shot was required from 1970-1992. The article says 1 shot is only 70-80% effective at producing an immune response that creates the necessary antibodies to fight the virus. In the '90s the 2 shot regimen become protocol which is 90% effective.

Players vaccinated in 1992 or before have a 20-30% chance of not having the antibodies to fight the virus. Even players with 2 MMR's have a 10% chance of not having the necessary antibodies. Add on to that players not vaccinated and the virus mutating and there are probably a lot of players at risk.

The league needs to get this under control.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/nhl-mumps-outbreak-7-big-questions-answered-1.2873761

I was born in 1980 so... :laugh:

Still, viruses still mutate.

IMO, I've never had Mumps so.... Besides, I would rather have Mumps than get a vaccination given my experience I had with the flu shot.....

Mumps isn't a deadly debilitating disease - you're uncomfortable for a few days, big deal.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Still, viruses still mutate.

Don't understand your post. Viruses mutate when they are actively replicating in a host. I realize the symptoms might not be bad in every mumps patient, but outbreaks (like in the NHL right now) increase the rate the virus replicates which increases the chance it will mutate. Although vaccination isn't perfect, it helps prevent symptoms AND curbs replication and mutation of the virus in the population. Maybe I missed something, but usually the knowledge viruses mutate makes people proponents of vaccination.

IMO, I've never had Mumps so.... Besides, I would rather have Mumps than get a vaccination given my experience I had with the flu shot.....

If you get a flu shot in the future ask for the inactivated vaccine instead of live. Also strep throat is caused by a bacteria, not a virus. So there isn't any logical connection between the flu shot and strep throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inactivated_vaccine

Mumps isn't a deadly debilitating disease - you're uncomfortable for a few days, big deal.

15-20% risk of orchitis with mumps? You must have a high pain threshold.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/777456-overview

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
I got a flu shot about 10 years ago because it was mandatory at the place I worked and that shot made me deathly ill almost immediately after the shot I got a fever and I was out of work for a week and I have had a persistent runny nose ever since, oh and to top things off less than a month after getting the shot I got sick again with strep throat.... Before my shot I almost never got a flu and hardly ever got sick.

As far as the mumps, I was inoculated/vaccinated at birth for the mumps and other diseases, besides mumps is such a rare and difficult virus to get anyway - which makes this whole NHL outbreak even that more bizarre.

Besides, once you get the mumps you become immune to the virus again so.... it's like chicken pox.

Interesting, because the same thing happened to me after my first ever flu shot last year. While I did not get deathly ill, I got a string of three pretty bad illnesses in a row with only about two-three days healthy between them, and they were different illnesses. I usually get maybe one cold per season, and usually fairly mild. Even though they say the flu vaccine cannot cause illness, it must lower immunity or something temporarily, because I had never had a series of illnesses like that in my entire life before then. I did not get it again this year because of that.

I am not anti-vaccine at all for the required vaccinations, and my children receive all theirs.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Don't understand your post. Viruses mutate when they are actively replicating in a host. I realize the symptoms might not be bad in every mumps patient, but outbreaks (like in the NHL right now) increase the rate the virus replicates which increases the chance it will mutate. Although vaccination isn't perfect, it helps prevent symptoms AND curbs replication and mutation of the virus in the population. Maybe I missed something, but usually the knowledge viruses mutate makes people proponents of vaccination.

If you get a flu shot in the future ask for the inactivated vaccine instead of live. Also strep throat is caused by a bacteria, not a virus. So there isn't any logical connection between the flu shot and strep throat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inactivated_vaccine

15-20% risk of orchitis with mumps? You must have a high pain threshold.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/777456-overview

Precisely. This is a fact many people don't get, or don't want to get when pushing their particular agenda which I'm not going to debate here because it's not a political thread and that just has all kinds of ugly potential, anyway.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I avoid the flu shot because the times in the past I've had it, I've reacted really, really badly to it...I immediately got very sick. But I have the rest of my immunizations and don't have some political issue with vaccinations.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have never got a flu shot before, and rarely ever get the 'sick to my stomach' flu. All I ever get is a head cold, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, and the odd time a fever. "knocks on wood"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad