Keep Brown or Let him go?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No I’d rather give the spot to someone with runway and potential. Not a 31 year old dud.

We don’t even have 50 contract spots this year, and that’s including McKegg, Malone, Griffith, Caggiula, Erne, Pederson, etc who are all going to provide a lot less for the NHL club than Brown. This isn’t a bottom feeder. If you can’t beat out a veteran for the spot, you don’t deserve to be in the NHL

Reactions: GOilers88

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Any forward who cant score 10 goals is a liabilty.

Situationally speaking, It means we can't put him on the ice if we are down by a goal.
Exactly. The worst case scenario is he’s a defensively responsible 4th liner who can PK. Take his current contract out of the equation, and there’s no reason you shouldn’t be happy to have him back.
Except a defensively reliable forward with 1 goal means we can ONLY play him when we are holding onto a lead.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For league minimum? Of course you sign him. It's not like he's a total liability out there.

Anybody saying no is answering emotionally.

Anyone saying yes is just looking at the name of the player and not how he’s actually played.

He has horrible counting numbers and poor fancies. Worst xGF% on the team.

Even as a 10 minute a night 4th liner he’s not worth having in your lineup. Even your 4th liners should be able to contribute at least 8-10 goals a year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Any forward who cant score 10 goals is a liabilty.

Situationally speaking, It means we can't put him on the ice if we are down by a goal.

Except a defensively reliable forward with 1 goal means we can ONLY play him when we are holding onto a lead.
And a defensively reliable forward with 1 goal means that no matter how “defensively reliable” he is he’s still going to end up being outscored throughout the year.

Its not like he’s Jere Lehtinen out there shutting down other teams best players.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
This could be said about nearly every borderline bottom 6er we've had since 2017:

I like the guy, seems great in the locker room and everything. At a waivable 800k? Sure, not our money. A dollar more that can't be waived, find a younger player with upside anywhere in the organization or out of it. Also, if those dollars can be used to acquire a proper RHD to play with Nurse and a RW to play with Draisaitl and/or McDavid, we should do that instead.

Reactions: brentashton

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Anyone saying yes is just looking at the name of the player and not how he’s actually played.

He has horrible counting numbers and poor fancies. Worst xGF% on the team.

Even as a 10 minute a night 4th liner he’s not worth having in your lineup. Even your 4th liners should be able to contribute at least 8-10 goals a year.
10-15 goals, 30 points is what you expect from McLeod/Foegele types who are third line players. Fourth liners usually get around 5-10 goals per season, 10-20 points. Ryan or Janmark are pretty good benchmarks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
League minimum are the key words. Could even be a two way although I doubt he would accept that.
& let's be honest, nobody making league minimum is blocking anyone else's pathway to the NHL, salary cap challenged or otherwise.
Two way infers offense and a pulse. Lets not double down on having him yet another season.

No I’d rather give the spot to someone with runway and potential. Not a 31 year old dud.
Seems like such an obvious answer and yet apparently needs stating. No wonder we don't have any prospect development. lets just give a charity job to Connor Brown indefinitely because somebody somewhere likes him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Two way infers offense and a pulse. Lets not double down on having him yet another season.

Seems like such an obvious answer and yet apparently needs stating. No wonder we don't have any prospect development. lets just give a charity job to Connor Brown indefinitely because somebody somewhere likes him.
Especially when we see the direct comparison between a guy like Brown this year and a guy like Kostin last year. They were both league min players.

I think some posters are just unwilling to accept that the penalty next season is what it is and think that by re-signing Brown next season the massive debt he's going to cost us will somehow be worth it.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
10-15 goals, 30 points is what you expect from McLeod/Foegele types who are third line players. Fourth liners usually get around 5-10 goals per season, 10-20 points. Ryan or Janmark are pretty
good benchmarks.
On an "Average Team" a 4th liner gets 5-10 goals.
On most contenders, 4th liners tend to score north of 10 goals per season.

Example:
Avalanche 4th line:
Duhaime (6) Cogliano (10) Trenin (10)

Duhaime is filling in for Logan O Connor (16 goals) & Landeskog (typically a 25 goal scorer)

Oilers are contenders, and need their 4th liners to score 10+ goals.
Janmark scored 10 last season, Perry is on pace for 20 with us Carrick is at 9 goals.

Brown is at 1 goal on our 3rd line.
And the stupid part was, Sam Gagner who we sent to the minors was pacing for 15+

Last edited:
Reactions: Keggatron

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is not a conversation worth having right now IMO.

Maybe in August once all other UFA options have had their tires kicked. If you want to put Brown on a contract (or better yet a PTO) then you do it then.

So yeah, as a last resort to fill out a roster sure, why not.

To @brentashton does he block anyone else? No, not really... his $750K salary is easily buried with no cap penalty. Unless we have 50 contracts limiting us, having him as an option, which you can easily flush to the minors if you don't need him is fine.

I think he's squarely in PTO category, he's played poorly enough to suggest he might be done as a player. Having said that, anyone who has ever rehabbed an ACL knows that you maybe don't know what you've got (both physically and mentally) until at least a year after your surgery. It's not crazy to suggest something clicks in year two.

Hopefully we have more obvious solutions and we spend the time between now and August making this entire discussion irrelevant.

Reactions: Oilhawks

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If you keep him he has to be line 3 or 4 but if we want production from those lines then no

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
For a low price absolutely. He might have had trouble scoring but he does a lot of other things. He is very noticeable most nights. In a good way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fully bury-able contract or bust. I don't want this supposed leader if he has so little shame that he is out trying to cash in again next summer after this embarassing season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For a low price absolutely. He might have had trouble scoring but he does a lot of other things. He is very noticeable most nights. In a good way.
He's as noticeable completely blowing even a simple zone entry, or not being able to make a pass, or leaving the puck behind, or shooting right into a block or inexplicably freezing and not even getting a shot off while in scoring position just a few games ago. This guy botches so many plays he'd be the team leader in botched plays vs made plays on the team. He'd be that by miles. This guy not only cools his own offense he kills offense any line he's on. Doesn't matter if its topsix or bottom.

Connor Brown is reasonably good without the puck. He's terrible, I mean AWFUL, with the puck. If this was an AHL career player he wouldn't have lasted 10 games. He's been that bad. All season. No matter how we hide the contract pie 4M for some contribution on pk while being terrible at EV play or puck possession is not worth it. Not close to being worth it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think he's squarely in PTO category, he's played poorly enough to suggest he might be done as a player. Having said that, anyone who has ever rehabbed an ACL knows that you maybe don't know what you've got (both physically and mentally) until at least a year after your surgery. It's not crazy to suggest something clicks in year two.

Hopefully we have more obvious solutions and we spend the time between now and August making this entire discussion irrelevant.
This is well and good but it was a foremost reason not to have acquired the player in the first place, as I was saying July 1st.

Yes, I've rehabbed from ACL injuries, cartilage and meniscus tears in both knees at different times. Not fun, not good, and it takes forever to get back to things. But again thats a reason why the Oilers should have gone at any other healthy player instead.

The premise that he might recover to the degree where he can be nearing 100% on the knee (and presuming that injury hasn't setoff any other structural, or posture sub injury as sometimes occurs(you compensate like crazy on knee injuries which can lead to back, hip, foot, gait etc problems. With these often ensuing to some degree. In anycase it wasn't a great bet that Connor was going to be game ready this season.

That said, and I mentioned this often, even the pre injury Brown had scored only 10 goals his last season In Ottawa, a season where he was even in the mix in top and bottom and sometimes even on PP. That ain't good. Old Connor Brown, past injury, at age isn't likely going to be more than 10 goals even if 100%.

I like that you included the mental part as well. With knee injuries and things like ACL, meniscus, cartilage tear etc there is a near constant doubt in the joint. Basically obsessive thought wondering when its going to give out the next time and if the patient has any considerable laxity in joint due to injuries or other circumstance, this joint giving out happens with regularity and is painful. Bone on bone moments too. No fun.

Last edited:

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Would rather bring back Carrick. Carrick is great at faceoffs and is physical. Brown is good defensively but rarely takes draws, doesn't step up physically, and is completely snake bitten offensively. You want a centre who can play wing in the bottom 6 ideally and Brown isn't that guy.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Brown typically looks good killing penalties, but that’s literally the only thing he’s remotely capable of. If we’re going to keep him in the lineup, he needs to be used strictly in that role. He hurts the team and his linemates, and simply does not belong on NHL ice at even strength.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Keeping emotion completely out of the conversation only an idiot pays Conner Brown any money next year.

He is clearly washed up and will be a PTO tryout next year that either retires after failing, goes over seas, or trys to restart his career in the AHL. Which by his play this year is a long shot.

Quick comparables that I would take over Conner Brown. Eric Belanger, Jessie Pulj, Tobias Reider... Nail Yakupov...

All far more effective NHLers with more upside, lol. Joking... a tiny bit.
Had me until Toby Reider.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Browns cap implications next year are making some of you skewer your thought process .....which is understandable.

Browns cap hit is 775 this season, league min is 750. If we were just paying him his 775 this season, we wouldn't pick on him as much. Yes 1 goal is poor, but he was coming off an injury and I don't think anyone watching him play (especially recently) would say he's not worth league min.

Would I sign him next year for league min?? too early to say right now but my gut reaction is no. He could definitely change our minds though depending on how he finishes the season and more importantly, playoffs.

I think some of you would be surprised how many teams would take CB at league min next season even if he continues his current play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad