TV: Katla - Netflix

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
An Icelandic show. One season on Netflix that could be made into more seasons but definitely could have settled itself with one season.

Its a slow burn but scenic, traumatizing, emotional, and supernatural. Its a creepy show but imo the ending is very emotional and settles a lot of issues in the show. I finished the show and def thought about the ending a lot last night lol.

9/10

Reactions: Viggo Mortensen

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I enjoyed this show very much. Very atmospheric, dark, nordic and weird. The visuals are very striking and it would be cool to see this on a big screen. Even though its a slow burner, it's just 8 episodes so you don't have to watch 20 episodes to get somewhere. I thought that the story progressed nicely and the story had hooks that kept making me watch more.

I think that this is a show that you'll either like or you don't like because I expect that this is very different from what some are used to watch and thus can't get into it while others enjoy the differences. Also. there are mysteries and some people want answers told to them and some don't mind if they have to figure out stuff on their own, and that always divides people. Some are probably not satisfied with the answers they are given, but that's how it goes. I was happy with the end.

My complaints are mainly with the editing as a lot of the cuts felt awkward. I think they could have used one or two more episodes to deal with some of the character transformations as I felt that some changed quite drastically (mainly one character though). Also, I felt that the actor who played Þór was quite poor and it affected the scenes he was in.

Overall, I thought it was a good thought provoking show and I would recommend trying it out.

A bit discussion about the ending in spoilers.

The Russian roulette scene was more messy than it needed to be. Yes, it was supposed to be like that with them looking the same, the mirror shot and similar camera angles that were used to film both characters.

I think the idea was that the clone died based on the clicks from the gun but when you look closely you see blue (clone was wearing blue) in the background when the final shot is taken, which would point to that the real Grima shot herself and the clone survived. It wasn't her turn, but with her mental state you could believe that she would take her life. However, I think it makes for a better story that the real Grima survived and changed. I think they messed up with the shots when they were editing this together and got confused with the characters.

They clearly left the ending open for future seasons though I feel like there's no need and I think this is a show where it would be nearly impossible to do follow up seasons.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad