Proposal: Karlsson to Vegas @ the Draft

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Do you actually think Vegas makes this trade if Karlsson won't re-sign with him?

Are people really that clueless? If Vegas acquires Karlsson it will be because they can extend him. Who cares if Suzuki is their only good prospect, they are in the 2nd round of the playoffs right now do you think they give a **** about their farm system right now? If they can add Karlsson without giving up any roster pieces that's a move a contender makes basically every time.

They have like 5 or 6 important players with expiring contracts and are still aren't 100% sure if all these players are as good as they've shown this year so yeah probably

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I get Karlsson is good but a 1st + recent 6OA and 15OA for an unsigned Karlsson is absolutely ridiculous. Vegas doesnt have a ton of prospects because they have only had 1 draft. Sure Karlsson would help but they need to hang on to their top prospects and not dump potentially 4 first within 1 year of existence

5 since they already questionably gave one up for Tatar

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens management has made it abundantly clear that Karlsson won't be moved until July 1st (after they've made him an offer, and when the team he is moved to can sign him to an extension. That being said, Vegas is obviously one of the teams that could seemingly make a deal work. The rumours around the deadline were that Dorion was looking for 5 or 6 pieces in exchange, the price would obviously be lower if Ryan was tacked on, but it gives us an idea of what it would ultimately cost.

Theodore/Miller
Glass/Suzuki
Haula/Lindberg
VGK 1st 2019
VGK/CLB 2nd 2019

Take out pieces as needed if Ryan is dealt, but that's probably the type of package it would take to convince Ottawa to move Karlsson without salary tacked on. I honestly think Vegas' main advantage is their cap space, so I'd be surprised if they swung a deal without salary tacked on (maybe they Gaborik instead of Ryan or something along those lines).

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Doesn't make sense for them to add Ryan and subtract from the return they can get from Karlsson, plus they might as well tank next season so they should look to keep Ryan,

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So that's it? 1 good player and 1 good prospect.... for the best defensemen on the planet?

Sorry if the proposal doesn't have me jumping for joy but imo Merrill and Lindberg are just decent and through ins.

The 2019-2020 1st are most likely late picks with the players only possibly making an impact in 2021-2023... and we give up a potential high 2nd.

If that's the case, exclude Ryan all together and buy him out... not worth including him if that's the return.

How I value Karlsson (with extension agreed upon) = Theodore, Tuch, Glass OR Suzuki and VGK 2019 1st. Vegas fans might think that it's a lot.. and it is... but it doesn't take away any major pieces (although Tuch is a top 9 W) and you get the best Dman for future cup runs.

Now if Vegas win the cup this year they won't trade for Karlsson at all, there would be no need.

You have to view it from Vegas' perspective, without an extension Karlsson is a huge gamble and even one year of Gretzky in his prime isn't worth 3-4 high end pieces. This isn't the NBA, hockey is a team game.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Sens management has made it abundantly clear that Karlsson won't be moved until July 1st (after they've made him an offer, and when the team he is moved to can sign him to an extension. That being said, Vegas is obviously one of the teams that could seemingly make a deal work. The rumours around the deadline were that Dorion was looking for 5 or 6 pieces in exchange, the price would obviously be lower if Ryan was tacked on, but it gives us an idea of what it would ultimately cost.

Theodore/Miller
Glass/Suzuki
Haula/Lindberg
VGK 1st 2019
VGK/CLB 2nd 2019

Take out pieces as needed if Ryan is dealt, but that's probably the type of package it would take to convince Ottawa to move Karlsson without salary tacked on. I honestly think Vegas' main advantage is their cap space, so I'd be surprised if they swung a deal without salary tacked on (maybe they Gaborik instead of Ryan or something along those lines).

These two pieces are not even in the same stratosphere in terms of value. I just think it would be dumb for Ottawa to lower EK's value with a cap dump honestly

Reactions: MordredGK

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
These two pieces are not even in the same stratosphere in terms of value. I just think it would be dumb for Ottawa to lower EK's value with a cap dump honestly

I'm aware, I just think Ottawa would need to take another contract back and those are young-ish guys signed beyond this year. Ottawa probably throws in a pick if it's Haula, maybe ask for another pick if it's Lindberg.(Should have clarified that though)

There's not a Sens fan out there who disagrees with you (about tacking on a bad contract to EK) but thems the breaks, and it seems like something that may end up happening because of budget/ownership issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jared Dunn

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Theodore/Miller
Glass/Suzuki
Haula/Lindberg
VGK 1st 2019
VGK/CLB 2nd 2019

Something tells me Haula and Lindberg have VERY different trade values...

Reactions: Karlstrobe

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It would make more sense to send Ryan to the Canucks with a prospect. They can buy him out in 2 years while they're still rebuilding.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
:vegas
  1. Ryan, B
  2. Karlsson, E
  3. **2020 2nd round pick (OTT)
**2020 2nd conditional on Karlsson extension

:sens
  1. Brännström, E.
  2. Glass, C.
  3. Merrill, J.
  4. Lindberg, Oscar
  5. 2019 1st round pick (VGK)
  6. **2020 1st round pick (VGK)
** 2020 1st conditional on Karlsson extension

Just absolutely f*** up my entire future, fam.

Big hell no from Vegas. I do think it's amusing that the 2020 second rounder is conditional. That's the cherry on top for sure.

Think Vegas can survive without Karlsson with the combo of Theodore, Schmidt, Miller, and Brannstrom down the line. This is a really really poor for Vegas and not remotely worth mortgaging their entire future. Karlsson is a terrific talent but Vegas did just fine without them. They have one of the most shallow pipelines in the league. You're asking Vegas to take their two best prospects and then add two first rounders on top of that. Such a move leaves Vegas limping in terms of building a prospects pipeline in their first 5 years. No amount of success is worth killing your chances at future depth.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Vegas is better off waiting to see if he hits FA.

I think EK would be awesome as a VGK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad