Proposal: Karlsson+ for picks (lots of ‘em)

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
First of all, Sharks fan here, visiting in peace. I think it’s pretty clear the Sharks are looking to rebuild (finally), would be more than open to finding a trading partner for Karlsson.

It also seems to me that the Wings might be on the cusp of competing, have some great young players, some prospects on the way, and also have accumulated some draft assets to use towards adding talent to their NHL roster.

Okay, preamble completed, here’s the proposal:

:wings
+ Erik Karlsson @8.5M x 4 ($3M retained)
+ choice of Barabanov/Kunin @2.5M x 1

:sharks
+ 2023 1st (Detroit’s choice of the two)
+ 2024 1st (Sharks’ choice of the two)
+ 2x 2023 2nd (Detroit’s choices)
+ 2024 2nd

My thinking here is (and feel free to flame away):

Karlsson: adds a premiere RD to the Wings for the next 4 years. He’s good for 60-70pts as a baseline, elite PPQB, potential PPG+ seasons. It’s Karlsson you know the deal. The retention turns a painful contract into fair market value if not a little budget friendly if he’s really producing, like this year.

Barabanov/Kunin: Wings can choose between a smallish offensive oriented, puck possession, complimentary top 9 winger or a north/south gritty middle six winger, who plays a heavy game and is a good net front presence. If it was me, I’d go with Barabanov because I think he’s super-versatile in a top 9 offensive role, fits on the PP, and produces a lot of offense for his cap hit. But I’m not super familiar with the Wings’ needs in the middle of their forward group.

All in all, I’m sure it’d be painful to loose that many picks at the top of the draft, but Wings would still keep some of their high picks, keep all their prospects, and have plenty of cap space to add some free agent pickups (maybe adding Karlsson makes Detroit a more attractive destination for UFAs?)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No. Steal magic beans from some team that's looking to do something next season. We aren't it.

Karlsson neither fits the window nor the playstyle.

Enter the gaggle of posters that thought investing on their 26yo captain/best player was a bad idea but investing in a 33yo walking injury is a really good idea.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
That’s five 1st or 2nd round picks. I can’t recall any trade involving that many top picks for one player.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Zadina, Al Johansson and McIsaac....
pawn-stars.gif

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Honestly, even if he was technically free I would wince, and that's with the wings probably needing to spend to hit the cap floor.

To me getting out of that mammoth is the prize for San Jose.

• Wow
Reactions: jMoneyBrah

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Honestly, even if he was technically free I would wince, and that's with the wings probably needing to spend to hit the cap floor.

To me getting out of that mammoth is the prize for San Jose.
We need to hit the floor for one year. After that Mo/Ray/Ras' new deals will kick in.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I love the concept of dealing picks for an impact player. But I don't want EK.
Yeah, for that package of assets I'm thinking a legit mid-20s center. Like Draisaitl or Matthews if the Oil/Leafs playoff runs turn sideways. Pettersson if Vancouver decides to rebuild. Etc...

• Wow

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
There is 0 chance you get two first round picks plus out of us. You’d be lucky to get 1. To put it simply your GM screwed you in a trade of Karllsson because of his contract, you’d have to retain significant amounts for a team to view it as worthwhile and even then he’s aging and quite extensive injury history. The past 2 seasons you were begging to give him away for peanuts, who is to say this isn’t an extreme outlier ? You’re not gonna get anything close to what you want for him, so either accept that or keep him. Your choice

• Love

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
There is 0 chance you get two first round picks plus out of us. You’d be lucky to get 1. To put it simply your GM screwed you in a trade of Karllsson because of his contract, you’d have to retain significant amounts for a team to view it as worthwhile and even then he’s aging and quite extensive injury history. The past 2 seasons you were begging to give him away for peanuts, who is to say this isn’t an extreme outlier ? You’re not gonna get anything close to what you want for him, so either accept that or keep him. Your choice

I mean, my feelings on the matter have no impact on the actual outcome here. But… keep him?

• Haha
Reactions: SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I mean, my feelings on the matter have no impact on the actual outcome here. But… keep him?
I’m just saying that’s what your front office is gonna have to accept. You will have to retain and take on a modest offer. Nobody is paying very much for him, and certainly not even close to what you as a fan want. It’s just too much risk and too much money/term. Like a poster up above said, you should just be happy to get out of his contract at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
SJ probably should have kept Meier too. It's going to be awkward as balls trying to move the contracts of Karlsson, Couture, Hertl, Vlasic and extract a ton of value out of them. Should have just added pieces to fix the team defense. Keep the good, move the bad.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
i mean look at what kane fetched…no where close to what the OP wants for an aging, injury riddled dman well past his prime. chicago would love to have this offer for kane and how did that turn our. arizona too for jacob c… got peanuts for a younger, better dman than EK and ottawa didnt have to squander their future…

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’m just saying that’s what your front office is gonna have to accept. You will have to retain and take on a modest offer. Nobody is paying very much for him, and certainly not even close to what you as a fan want. It’s just too much risk and too much money/term. Like a poster up above said, you should just be happy to get out of his contract at all.

I’m reading these responses and gathering that I obviously thought Karlsson would have more perceived value here. Fair enough, I know, admittedly jack shit about the current outlook for the Wings (along with probably just being way over zealous on all the seconds)

However, I would bet (you can call me crazy), that if Karlsson at $8.5M gets some GM make a move, it’ll end up being something to the equivalent of two 1sts++. Again, who am I and exactly how much my opinion should count for is entirely in your hands to judge :laugh:

SJ probably should have kept Meier too. It's going to be awkward as balls trying to move the contracts of Karlsson, Couture, Hertl, Vlasic and extract a ton of value out of them. Should have just added pieces to fix the team defense. Keep the good, move the bad.

Nah, it’s time for the Sharks to rebuild. They’ve been kicking the can down the road for far too long already and should have started this process a couple of years ago. Personally, I’m good with the Meier trade. I think there’s more than a betting man’s chance the Sharks can move Karlsson with retention for positive assets. But if they can’t I’m good with him sticking around - he really is a joy to watch and if we gotta be bad I’d at least like to be entertained.

I also think Couture and Hertl are around for the rebuild because I don’t think they have positive value with their contracts (maybe… maybe Hertl in a few years if he continues to play well, the cap goes up, and it isn’t such a commitment for the receiving team… maybe)

Vlasic will be a Shark until the end of that monstrosity of a contract :help:

Reactions: ZDH

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
i mean look at what kane fetched…no where close to what the OP wants for an aging, injury riddled dman well past his prime. chicago would love to have this offer for kane and how did that turn our. arizona too for jacob c… got peanuts for a younger, better dman than EK and ottawa didnt have to squander their future…

Fair points here. I’m not sure, in a vacuum, most would call Chychrun a better dman than Karlsson - but he definitely has youth and caphit on his side, and I could see that being more of a priority for the Wings than the dozen or so more points Karlsson is likely to put on the scoresheet.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Politely… no thanks lol.

I love EK 65. Only non-Wings jersey I own besides Alfredsson. But five picks and all of them in the first and second? I wouldn’t do that for McDavid… maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad