Kaprizov: Yes or No

How many of you think or believe Russo knows Kaprizov extension?

• Total voters

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
What about his skillset will age well? His entire game is predicated on his skating.....

Because he's not a speedster who will lose his one trump card if he loses a step. I don't think he's losing his edgework, elusiveness or strength on his skates unless he has more ankle injuries.

The injury concern is probably valid but that's always going to be a risk.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just trying to get feel for what we'll have to work with regarding his extension...

Players we have under contract for the 2026-27 season and beyond:

Boldy $7M (4 more years)
Eriksson Ek $5.25M (3 more years)
Foligno $4M (2 more years)
Gaudreau $2.1M (2 more years)
Parise buyout $833k
Brodin $6M (2 more years)
Spurgeon $7.575M (last year)
Suter buyout $833k

Total = $33.6M

If you estimate $5M for a 4th line + 13th forward and $6M for a 3rd pair and 7th defenseman that's $44.6M

Kaprizov gets (let's say) $15M on a cap that has gone up to (let's say) $95M, and that is $59.6M with 4 top 9 forward spots, 2 top 4 defense spots and 2 goalie spots to fill, which is an average of ~$5M per spot.

Possibly enough, depending on what our prospects end up demanding on their 2nd contracts, many which will be in effect during that summer (Rossi, Faber, Lambos, Wallstedt) and what kind of goalie Gustavsson ends up being. Spurgeon expiring the following summer could be pretty key.

Long story short, I actually think it's probably doable, even if $15M per year is hard to stomach right now, but of course it depends on the cap going up ~$4M per year going forward.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I wonder how many people realized the poll isn't asking if Kaprizov should be signed, but if Russo knows about it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It doesn't take an insider to realize that MN is just going to back the Brinks truck up to Kap's house when his next contract is due.

Kap can't sign a new contract for 2 full seasons. Without having any hard numbers on what the cap will be at that time there isn't any numbers for the GM, player, or a reporter shilling for attention to have an answer for.

Kap will get paid very well wherever he decides to play after the 25-26 season. It's jsut a matter of what team he wants, or doesn't want, to play for.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know, I don't make the rules.

(I also didn't notice it at first)
I know, I’m just commenting in general on the thread. There is no chance Russo knows what Kaprizov wants and what Minnesota will offer. Anything he says is just speculation.

Weren’t we supposed to get a Hartman deal done in the last week or so?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'm sure Kaprizov would love to play for a team like the Rangers, they can also offer him a monster contract.

So the Wild are doing everything to make him believe in this team, couple good Russians coming, signed his buddy, and he'll most likely get the A this season. But of course, it also depends on how the Wild are going to play for the next three years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm sure Kaprizov would love to play for a team like the Rangers, they can also offer him a monster contract.

So the Wild are doing everything to make him believe in this team, couple good Russians coming, signed his buddy, and he'll most likely get the A this season. But of course, it also depends on how the Wild are going to play for the next three years.
Yeah, not a huge fan of both Panarin and Trouba being UFA's the same summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad