Speculation: Kaprizov might finally sign tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i havent really been following this situation

so essentially if he signs he can practice but CANNOT play? and they still burn a year of his contract?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i havent really been following this situation

so essentially if he signs he can practice but CANNOT play? and they still burn a year of his contract?
Correct. He can train/practice with the team, but can't play games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That sucks. Burn a year of his contract for nothing, or miss out on him next season

rough, rough go
No doubt. Sucks that the NHL wouldn't let him play... he would've been a reason for more people to tune in... but getting him under contract now ensures that he will be in uniform come next season at least.

I heard the Wild would consider loaning him to a Euro league team next season to start playing while the NHL delays its start, and ensure he can be here for the start of next season.

So there may be European fans that get to watch him for the first half season before he jumps to the NHL for the season.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No doubt. Suck that the NHL wouldn't let him play... he would've been a reason for more people to tune in... but getting him under contract now ensures that he will be in uniform come next season at least.

I heard the Wild would consider loaning him to a Euro league team next season to start playing while the NHL delays its start, and ensure he can be here for the start of next season.

So there may be European fans that get to watch him for the first half season before he jumps to the NHL for the season.

Yeah im a blues fan and even i was hoping theyd let him play

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Five years after being drafted, roughly three since he started to emerge as a bona fide star in Russia, Kirill Kaprizov could be hours from signing on the dotted line.

Seriously.

No, for real this time.
“It would be unfortunate that we would have to burn a year, but we are willing to do that with a player like him just to get him in the mix,” Guerin said during a Zoom conference with reporters Sunday. “Hopefully we can agree to something shortly.”

While the Wild are allowed to sign Kaprizov to his two-year entry-level contract starting in 2020-21 at any time, the Wild have a window from 11 a.m. Monday to 4 p.m. Wednesday to sign Kaprizov for the 2019-20 season.
If Kaprizov signs, Guerin said the NHL has ruled that Kaprizov can not only attend training camp starting Monday to practice with the team but also would be permitted to accompany the team to Edmonton to practice while the team resumes the season. He would, however, have to count as part of the Wild’s 31-player expanded roster and would remain ineligible to play.

As of publication, the NHL had not yet confirmed to The Athletic that this was indeed its ruling.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then would he be UFA after 2021-22?

Normal FA rules would still apply I believe, so he'd either have to be 27 or have 7 years to become a UFA, and he won't. As far as I know, he'll still be an RFA in 2022. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: egelband

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So what does it mean in the OP tweet where "then he's free to sign anywhere after the '21-'22 season?"

That was a question asked by a fan to Russo. That guy was wondering if he could sign anywhere. He can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad