Line Combos: Kapanen with Matthews

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Bit harsh analysis, i only caught the extended highlights and from what i saw kadri line with brown had pretty decent chances including a post

Of course nylander will make that line go crazy but i think that line will be fine , i mean they were not minuses on a 7-4 night so they weren't bad
the Kadri line struggled and this is the first time i've eve been critical of Brown but he's done nothing this year (to put it nicely) and should have been the one demoted to the 4th line instead of Levio

i'd also have scratched Ennis instead of Johnson

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
the Kadri line struggled and this is the first time i've eve been critical of Brown but he's done nothing this year (to put it nicely) and should have been the one demoted to the 4th line instead of Levio

Gotta take your word on that as i haven't seen the full game, but honestly it's just been a few games, i would not lose trust this fast on a potential 20 goal scorer

And ya i agree with leivo over ennis though, i feel he should have played more of a shoot first role on that 3rd line, kadri has improved his shot but it's his passing n set ups that he primarily excels in.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think folks need to drop the blinders over Brown. He’s fine in a depth role, and has hustle but isnt much of an offensive driver in the slightest. Once guys like Kapanen and Johnsson prove they’re capable of handling more minutes he needs to be bumped down to that 4th line

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafidelity

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think folks need to drop the blinders over Brown. He’s fine in a depth role, and has hustle but isnt much of an offensive driver in the slightest. Once guys like Kapanen and Johnsson price they’re capable of handling more minutes he needs to be bumped down to that 4th line
yea i gave Brown a free pass for a long time as well and i'm still pulling for him but he's a very limited player and unfortunately with our team there's players with more potential pushing for his ice time

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
I agree that if Kapanen continues to play well with Matthews there is no need to take him off the line. Nylander playing with Kadri would definitely give us 3 complete lines.

4th line should be Gauthier-Lindholm-Johnsson/Leivo.

As much as people don't like Gauthier, I would give him a steady role this season. He is sound defensively, and I would give him one full season under Babcock to see what he can turn him into.
Fianally someone putting Goat on the 4th I thought the 4th line with him played really well in Dallas lots of energy with a good cycle and chances, kept Dallas in their zone for good periods of time, so did Babcock hence giving them icetime. I really cant see why people are putting Jonsson anywhere in the top 6 sorry hes been a huge disappointment and takes dumb penalties he has been absolutely invisible so far, hopefully he can return to form which is why I put him on the 3rd line, Lindholm does not impress me either yet everyone pencils him at 4th line center, sorry I'll take the Goat and Leivo, Brown, Canadian guys that did a great job against Dallas
Nylander, Matthews, Kapanen
Hynan, Tavares, Marner
Marleau, Kadri, Jonsson, because hopefully his game reappears if not Ennis
Leivo, Gauthier, Brown
Use Ennis and Lindholm to replace players that may struggle for now

Last edited:
Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Wild fan from Finland here just passing by.Good to see Kapanen getting some success. But to be honest it is almost impossible not to get any points when playing with Matthews. I would say that he is the best player in the world at the moment. You have a really exiting team to watch.

Hyman cant produce and he plays with Matthews. So you need skill and finish to keep up with the joneses

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
yea i gave Brown a free pass for a long time as well and i'm still pulling for him but he's a very limited player and unfortunately with our team there's players with more potential pushing for his ice time

Same, they could find someone for less $$$ who can do what he does

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Kaps speed pushes the opposing D back which gives Matt more room to work. Perfect winger imo.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
the one thing I don’t like about Babs and Kapanen is that he’s trying to turn them into a Hymen clone it seems, but the guys a lot more skilled than that. Like that he’s getting more of a chance though.

Babs saying he wants him to play like Hyman isn't implying he wants him to suddenly develop stone hands lol. It's saying he needs to be a dog on a bone after that puck and use his speed every shift to win battles. I don't understand how this can be spun into something you don't like.

The same could be said about any player on the team. He wants them to skate harder, battle harder, and the results will be winning more puck battles, forcing more turnovers, and thus better possession. When the team is collectively slow (Ottawa) and second to every puck, it has to drive him crazy, because he knows we have that higher gear. "To be successful in the NHL you've gotta bring it every day"

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Love him with Matthews. It adds an entirely new dimension to his line. Hopefully when Willy comes back, Kapanen is still on the line. Would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams who would then still have to contest Marner-Tavares.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babs saying he wants him to play like Hyman isn't implying he wants him to suddenly develop stone hands lol. It's saying he needs to be a dog on a bone after that puck and use his speed every shift to win battles. I don't understand how this can be spun into something you don't like.

The same could be said about any player on the team. He wants them to skate harder, battle harder, and the results will be winning more puck battles, forcing more turnovers, and thus better possession. When the team is collectively slow (Ottawa) and second to every puck, it has to drive him crazy, because he knows we have that higher gear. "To be successful in the NHL you've gotta bring it every day"

Im not talking about effort (obviously that’s nice to see in everybody), it’s mlre about using him as a “crash and bang” guy, ie a guy mostly used to disrupt a play and free up the puck. I think he’s potentially capable of doing more than just that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Im not talking about effort (obviously that’s nice to see in everybody), it’s mlre about using him as a “crash and bang” guy, ie a guy mostly used to disrupt a play and free up the puck. I think he’s potentially capable of doing more than just that.

Who ever said he should do "just that"?

"Playing like a hyman" is the difference between Semin and Hossa. Spezza and Peter Forsberg.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
i agree but i'll add i'm starting to find it difficult to know what Babs values

i.e. Brown has been trash but Levio got demoted to the 4th line which surprisingly had a good game while the Kadri line still struggled

I think Kadri and the line are doing the right things, just coming up short.

Babcock isn’t one to punish results. He focuses more on effort.

Which is why komarov got ice time last year or why he stuck with Kadri through that nasty slump of 20 games.

If a veteran hustles, they get the minutes.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
depending how big and fast opponent last lines are, and whos playing well...lindholm, gauthier, johnsson, ennis, and leivo are more than fine 4th liners and be ok 3rd liners would injuries

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

That is just ridiculous depth/speed/scoring/firepower.

Nylander, get your arse back here, boyo, y’ere missing all the fun!!!!!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Leivo

That is just ridiculous depth/speed/scoring/firepower.

Nylander, get your arse back here, boyo, y’ere missing all the fun!!!!!

i am almost ready to bet that melander does not see regular time with matty this season.

heck he might not even get more then a couple of games as mattys winger this season and that would only be to send kappy a message

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Love him with Matthews. It adds an entirely new dimension to his line. Hopefully when Willy comes back, Kapanen is still on the line. Would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams who would then still have to contest Marner-Tavares.

I love him with Matthews too, pushed that from the very beginning. But I think Willy beside Matthews is perfect and shouldn't be messed up at all (Plus I don't like him with Kadri).

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander

or

Johnsson/Leivo - Kadri - Kapanen

Is what I'd love to see.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I know it's a small sample size thus far... but Kapanen has more goals/points per game than Nyalnder averaged, right? And let's remember that Kapanen isn't on any powerplay line.

Imagine that... playing with Auston Matthews can inflate numbers. Never would have thought. Looks like somebody is looking for an inflated long term contract based on riding on the coattails of Auston Matthews...

Hold out as long as you need to Dubas.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The irony of Kapanen lowering the value of his best friend Nylander... Matthews makes his linemates better, could be an angle here.

In all seriousness.. if you double team Matthews, he can throw it into an empty space and Kapanen will be the first guy to that space. Keep the lines the same... throw Nylander on Kadri's line to kickstart him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think because of Kapanen Nylander is done here unless he lowers his demands. 41 pts with Mathews isn't that great. His playoffs against Boston were weak as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad