Line Combos: Kapanen with Matthews

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
What a weird out of place nitpick. Matthews is our best player full stop.

Seeing Hyman finally dropped from Matthews' wing only to see Ennis elevated to the other side was frustrating to say the least. Hopefully Babcock learns that he can't keep getting away with that type of crap while icing a successful team.

Why you nitpicking?

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I think the question is where does he fit into the lineup long term? Nylander/Marner are your top 6 right wingers so where does Kapanen fit? He's got top 6 talent.

A savvy GM might part with Nylander for a D upgrade and picks/prospects and slot Kapanen in now after locking him up on a 5-6 year term at less than 3 per.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think the question is where does he fit into the lineup long term? Nylander/Marner are your top 6 right wingers so where does Kapanen fit? He's got top 6 talent.

A savvy GM might part with Nylander for a D upgrade and picks/prospects and slot Kapanen in now after locking him up on a 5-6 year term at less than 3 per.
Nylander can also play LW or C.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If you guys think that Nylander will start beside Matthews when he signs then you don't know Babcock at all. Nylander will be on the 4th/3rd line for probably 2/3 games.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Mar 26, 2010
Anyone think it sticks, at least till the Nylander situation resolves itself?

Really liked the dynamic.

Kappy and Matthews looked great together. There is not reason to put that plug Ennis back on that line.

Reactions: Fenrirson

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen looked a lot like Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny out there to me. Best thing is Mogilny was on his last legs and Kapanen is just starting up.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I didn't mean anything to do with Ennis. I was referring to you trying to nitpick the factual statement I made.

The OP was asking a simple question and you chose to argue verbiage. Are you just cranky today? Moving on,

Kapanen looked good with Matthews and I see no reason why he would get demoted in place of Ennis. Will probably get bumped for Nylander though.

Reactions: dsred and Fenrirson

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I really wanna see Kap play with Mathews for a few games and see how it develops. Who knows it could work out great. Or it could bomb but I think the potential is there. If it works out good, it puts even more pressure on Nylander and makes him more tradeable. Not that I wanna see Nylander gone but if there was the right RHD available. They don’t grow on trees though. Lol.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The OP was asking a simple question and you chose to argue verbiage. Are you just cranky today? Moving on,

Kapanen looked good with Matthews and I see no reason why he would get demoted in place of Ennis. Will probably get bumped for Nylander though.

awwww. I am giving thanks to the freedom of thought that we are blessed with. It's not verbiage btw it is an inflammatory statement that detracts from the purpose of the thread.

I agree that we should keep Kapanen with Matthews, at least for now.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He may be able to play C but he is not NHL caliber at this time at that position and I'm not sure he ever will be.
I think it's a stretch to say he's not, but even if we say he's not he can flip to the left wing and there's no issues.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
awwww. I am giving thanks to the freedom of thought that we are blessed with. It's not verbiage btw it is an inflammatory statement that detracts from the purpose of the thread.

While I don't agree with it personally, I truly believe people should be allowed to think and argue that the earth is flat and feel blessed to live in a society where they are free to do so. Happy Thanksgiving m8, for reals.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I think it's a stretch to say he's not, but even if we say he's not he can flip to the left wing and there's no issues.

He may develop into an NHL caliber centre but really if he ends up ever playing for us again there is no room for him at that position anyway.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Never implied you weren't allowed to express yourself, so you can hold on to that imaginary argument.

Also, saying that the OPs statement was inflammatory is a huuuuuge stretch, especially considering there is zero indication of any kind of negative intent.

Enjoy your day off though. ;)

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews and Kapanen look to have some potential chemistry. If this last 10 games and Nylander is not signed. Why would the Leafs spend 7 million on Matthews wing when he is dominating right now? Matthews is leading the NHL in goals scored and points with a 40 year old winger and a guy who was bought out. Kapanen and Matthews, if they prove to have chemistry as it may appear, they it puts a whole different twist on where Nylander fits on this team. Especially when u consider u could sign Kapanen to 3 million a year. If Kapanen plays first line all year and racks up 50 points and he waits for the end of the year to sign, his salary will be 5 plus million.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Never implied you weren't allowed to express yourself, so you can hold on to that imaginary argument.

Also, saying that the OPs statement was inflammatory is a huuuuuge stretch, especially considering there is zero indication of any kind of negative intent.

Enjoy your day off though. ;)

Day off of what?

Anyway, didn't mean to have others sidetrack the topic, just made a simple comment.

For some reason I also think Kapanen and Marleau would be really good together. That could be one hell of a line and as others have mentioned also makes it easier to use other team assets to help us get the good solid defensive dman that I think we need.

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
If Kaps keeps progressing with Matthews, which I believe he will, in leaps and bounds, then I'm all for an early extension and happily drive Nylander and his idiot agent to whatever airport they desire for a good young RHD.

Give the kid 3 or 4 mil long term if he keeps it up. It's not like he's some trash prospect either. He's the centerpiece of what we got back for the Kessel debauch, it would feel great to have at least a bit of that ordeal work out.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man the league is faster than ever, we really miss nylander's speed in the top 9, now we gotta add kapanen's speed to the top 9 as well and then we'll be looking good

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: