Speculation: Kapanen vs. Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson

• Total voters

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I believe he's 3 years from UFA status.

He has arb rights this summer and the next 2 afterwards.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
They are both equivalently bad.
Give Marchment and Moore their jobs.

Your coach was too stubborn to play Moore on the Matthews line in the playoffs so I doubt he'll be putting those two with Matthews. Not sure Marchment is ready for even the 4th line yet.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Your coach was too stubborn to play Moore on the Matthews line in the playoffs so I doubt he'll be putting those two with Matthews. Not sure Marchment is ready for even the 4th line yet.
I don't disagree.
It would seem to me that they could hardly be worse.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's going to make more than that somewhere if not in Toronto. He's got arbitration rights plus an offer sheets up to over $4M has compensation of no more than a 2nd round draft pick.

An offersheet hasn't been signed in 6 years. Why is this season going to be any different than any other one?

A team would be stupid to sign a player for nearly double what theyre worth. Almost every contract comparable has him well under 3 mil

Reactions: stopclickbait

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
An offersheet hasn't been signed in 6 years. Why is this season going to be any different than any other one?

Ever heard of leverage? Ever heard of deterrence?

A team would be stupid to sign a player for nearly double what theyre worth. Almost every contract comparable has him well under 3 mil

Kapanen , 20g 24a
Johnsson, 20g, 23a

2018 signings of RFAs:

More points
Less points

Tobias Rieder: $2.0M (1 year), 12g 13a
Jimmy Vesey: $2.275M (2 years), 17g 11a
Mattius Janmark: $2.3M (1 year), 19g 15a
Devin Shore: $2.3M (2 years), 11g, 21a
Oliver Bjorkstrand $2.5M (3 years), 11g, 29a
Ondrej Kase $2.6 M (3 years), 20g 18a
Miles Wood $2.75M (3 years), 19g 13a
Chris Tierney $2.937M (2 years), 17g 23a
Andreas Athanasiou $3.0M (2 years), 16g 17a
Ryan Strome $3.1M (2 years), 13g 21a

Max Domi $3.15M (2 years), 9g 36a
Anthony Mantha $3.3M (2 years), 24g 24a
Vlad Namestnikov $4.0M (2 years), 22g 26a

Brock Nelson: $4.25M (1 year), 19g 16a

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Andreas Johnsson bet on himself. Can the Maple Leafs afford...
The agents and the organization have to talk about that,” Johnsson responded when asked about the kind of deal he was seeking as a pending restricted free agent. “Whatever would work best for both (sides).”
If they can, and yes there’s the cap crunch to consider, the Leafs should go big on a Johnsson deal because he’s an emerging player, a spunky, shifty threat who can score and create for others. It certainly doesn’t hurt that he’s become a more than viable long-term option for Matthews’ line, particularly since the organization’s strength at wing tilts heavily to the right.

Taking a big swing on Johnsson means betting on what he can achieve as he grows more comfortable in the league — especially in full-time duty with Matthews. Also a helpful power play presence, Johnsson was chugging along at a 27-goal, 60-point pace after that rough start. Getting that kind of production, or something close to it, at a bargain rate on a long-term deal would be a huge win for the organization.

Just look at how the Morgan Rielly contract — six years and a $5 million cap hit — is paying off now.

Saving on quality players will only help Kyle Dubas fortify the roster elsewhere in the future.
Does something closer to $3 million over four years get it done? Can the Leafs afford it?

Sorting out Marner’s second NHL deal will help ease that tension. Whatever bit they save with Marner can be reallocated elsewhere, not just to Johnsson but to Kasperi Kapanen, another pending RFA. According to his agent, Markus Lehto, a variety of contract options have been discussed for Kapanen’s second deal, though none yet to reach an agreement.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'd keep Johnsson because you can probably get more value back in a trade from Kapanen. I can see both being traded though. Leafs need to shed a lot, and I doubt that Zaitsev/Marleau will be moved.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think Kapanen will have been a better player at the end of their careers, but he is simply more expendable due to being a RW, and probably more valuable in trade as well.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Johnsson will have durability issue's moving forward, possibly. He puck watches, see Domi hit and others. Johnsson also has some jam and will go into the corners fearlessly and can pay the price for it being a smaller player. Its not an easy choice though, Johnsson has a higher hockey IQ thats been proven to me. Kapanen can be forced into plays the D knows he is going to make, he fails on odd man rushes with the puck on his stick forcing passes when given the shot. I would choose Kapanen, his speed alone causes many problems. If Kapanen shoots alot of pucks this summer to improve shot accuracy, he will become more dangerous will the breakaways he has and can use his shot on odd man rushes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They are both equivalently bad.
Give Marchment and Moore their jobs.
Let them be stars in ECHL.
Couple years after that.
Beer league stars.
Super easy if you just watch.
Kapanan and Johnsson are both bad players.
They skate well.
Period.
They add zero beyond that.

I think we can assign one guy to be our Carl Hagelin but after that I wouldn’t mind freeing up a roster spot for a more diversified look.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Either bridge both, or keep the ok n more willing to sign a 4-5 year deal at the best price and flip the other for a D man

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
In a vacuum I'd prefer Kap. Considering how week we are at LW and the higher value that Kap would hold in a trade-I choose AJ to keep.

Reactions: Atomos2

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I would keep whichever signs for less and trade whoever fetches more in a trade. The Leafs still stacked on the wings and will start to have cap issues once Marner signs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We need left wingers.
Johnsson.

Matthews stole Kapanen's lunch money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad