Kapanen easing into new organization after move to Toronto

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I predicted Kessel would get 60 pts this year (would not hit 70), with maybe 30 goals. I took some flak on that, but so far, that is about his pace.

I was upset we didn't get DP, but KK, Harrington, and the 1st was well worth it IMO. I really could see Kessel going all O'Dog when he hits 30.

KK is very skilled, and I have no trouble seeing him producing 20 goals and 50ish points for the Leafs in a couple years. Add in Harrington, who will be in his early 20s, along with the 2016 1st (Hopefully) and I think the Leafs Won this deal hands down.

Just will take 3-4 years for everyone to agree on that ;)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The whole gamble from the Pens side is they want to win now. If they dont have playoff success in the next few years, they will have lost the trade.

We, on the other hand, need at least a couple of years to become competitive and Kaps is going to be a key piece. Harrington has made the team, played solid and they were willing to lose Granberg than send him down.

I see Kapanen on the second line, Harrington our #4 D and if the first amounts to anything that good, we will have won the trade, despite the retention.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
I think it's a bit premature to assume the Pens will be buying out Kessel. He had a bit of a codl start on the season, but seems to be producing now.

On a serious note, Pens will never buy out Kessel.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
On a serious note, Pens will never buy out Kessel.

Never say never.

Kessel may not look so pretty in 4-5 years. Plus, the Pens will have to do SOMETHING eventually. They basically have no cap, and no prospects.... Something will have to give if they are not contenders with in 2-3 years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Never say never.

Kessel may not look so pretty in 4-5 years. Plus, the Pens will have to do SOMETHING eventually. They basically have no cap, and no prospects.... Something will have to give if they are not contenders with in 2-3 years.

Take back Sprong for Bozak and they can throw some expiring crap back our way if they toss another 2nd or 3rd.

Kessel + Bozak = 80 and 45pts

Good deal :)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I like Kapanen, I understand the pick protection...but the salary retention was just a terrible pill to swallow. A team can only retain salary on 3 players at a time, and we're already retaining some pathetic amount on the Gunnerson deal (what an idiotic move that was by Nonis).

That means we'll have trouble retaining on Lupul and Bozak, who would would have been perfect retention candidates because of their few remaining years and relatively large contracts, thus possibly returning us significant value on those moves. Without said retention, we won't get much, if anything, for either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like Kapanen, I understand the pick protection...but the salary retention was just a terrible pill to swallow. A team can only retain salary on 3 players at a time, and we're already retaining some pathetic amount on the Gunnerson deal (what an idiotic move that was by Nonis).

That means we'll have trouble retaining on Lupul and Bozak, who would would have been perfect retention candidates because of their few remaining years and relatively large contracts, thus possibly returning us significant value on those moves. Without said retention, we won't get much, if anything, for either.

Nonis accepting the retention was the ultimate proof that he was the most stupid GM in Leafs History, that's cemented. Can you imagine if this guy had 4yrs? Just wow

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I predicted Kessel would get 60 pts this year (would not hit 70), with maybe 30 goals. I took some flak on that, but so far, that is about his pace.

I was upset we didn't get DP, but KK, Harrington, and the 1st was well worth it IMO. I really could see Kessel going all O'Dog when he hits 30.

KK is very skilled, and I have no trouble seeing him producing 20 goals and 50ish points for the Leafs in a couple years. Add in Harrington, who will be in his early 20s, along with the 2016 1st (Hopefully) and I think the Leafs Won this deal hands down.

Just will take 3-4 years for everyone to agree on that ;)

So he regresses to a 20 goal 20 assist player while being chucky? I don't think it'll go that far. Kessel I think if he regress at worst (for the rest of his contract) is the season he had last year where he put 25 goals 60+ points.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Unless there's something I don't know, can't we just retain salary on Lupul and Bozak starting from next summer once Gunnarsson comes off the books? A team can still have 2 years of control of Lupes/Bozak.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nonis accepting the retention was the ultimate proof that he was the most stupid GM in Leafs History, that's cemented. Can you imagine if this guy had 4yrs? Just wow

We have a rich history of stupid GMs, but retaining 200K (300K?) for 3 bloody years for a player who was not overpaid to begin with not only makes me question Nonis' intelligence as a GM but as a human being.

Can you imagine the picks haul we could get if we retained 2.6 mil on Bozak and/or Lupul towards the deadline?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't understand why the pick couldn't have been lottery win protected. So that leafs Get the pick unless Pitts wins one of the draws. Pitt was never going to finish in the bottom of standings but may miss playoffs. The leafs got screwed by Kunitz et al who blocked trades. I don't care about the 2 because we got Wink back. Got a free 2015 4th.

Kessel (full cap) for kapanen, Harrington 1st (14-20th) and like 5 million in cap dumps for 2 yrs would
Have been fair.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Unless there's something I don't know, can't we just retain salary on Lupul and Bozak starting from next summer once Gunnarsson comes off the books? A team can still have 2 years of control of Lupes/Bozak.

Sure, but that means we'd have to wait until the off-season to trade them, delaying/reducing the return.

And circling back to Kessel, between their retention and his, we wouldn't be able to retain on anyone else (ie Bernier) for several years.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
We have a rich history of stupid GMs, but retaining 200K (300K?) for 3 bloody years for a player who was not overpaid to begin with not only makes me question Nonis' intelligence as a GM but as a human being.

Can you imagine the picks haul we could get if we retained 2.6 mil on Bozak and/or Lupul towards the deadline?

He just didn't foresee the Leafs wanting to have a firesale over the next two years. The situation isn't all that bad.

Retain lots and lots of salary on one of Lupul and trade him at the deadline. Try and trade Bozak too (with no retention), and hope that someone bites on his relatively reasonable salary.

In the summer, Gunnarsson comes off the books, and we now retain Kessel and Lupul (until 2018), with the flexibility to retain on Phaneuf's salary if we need to, knowing Lupul comes off the books in 2018.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Sure, but that means we'd have to wait until the off-season to trade them, delaying/reducing the return.

And circling back to Kessel, between their retention and his, we wouldn't be able to retain on anyone else (ie Bernier) for several years.

You're right, I realized that after. I would only retain for one of Lupul or Bozak.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He's going to be an NHLer; that much is likely. 19 year olds in the AHL that put up 0.55-0.7 ppg (Kasperi is is so far at 0.63 this season) put up a mean 287 GP in the NHL (median = 138). The bad news is that they don't produce particularly well (mean = 0.33ppg, median = 0.355).

Here are the closest comps:

fQXNXoP.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad