Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen Called Up

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He can play any role.

He does everything for the Marlies including PP and PK. I am guessing he starts on line 4 but quickly makes his way up the lineup, he's probably our third best winger already.

well there is the guy in your name, who is currently playing wing, then there is Marner then there is JVR

he's 4th at best right now he could move up but right now he hasn't proven anything

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
lets not over hype. Nylander/Maner/JVR/Brown/maybe Kap is 5th.

Lets see how he does.

Its not overhype.

Nylander and Marner are a tier above him.

Brown is great but if you have seen Kapanen play, he is better than Brownie already. His two-way game is an upgrade on JVR too...you will see.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
My condolences for Kapenen. He's being recruited for the spot of doom in this lineup. No one stays long on the fourth line RW these days.

Still good for him to get a chance in the lineup. Good opportunity.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
well there is the guy in your name, who is currently playing wing, then there is Marner then there is JVR

he's 4th at best right now he could move up but right now he hasn't proven anything

Yes I think Nylander and Marner are way better than any other winger we have.

I don't think its crazy to say Kapanen will be an upgrade on JVR. Remember JVR is 9th on the leafs in ice time per game this year, Babs tends to shelter that line. Maybe Kap doesn't match his offensive numbers but he is a really good two-way player.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't get too excited yet guys.

They didn't call him up to sit him and use one of their call ups, all though the Marlies don't play until Friday, so maybe it's just to give Kapanen a couple practices with the big club in case they want to use him very soon.

I just don't see why they would call him up and to sit him. They don't play a road game until later this week too... so it's not precautionary either.

I think he'll play.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Right now he's an extra at practice, too much to ask to put him with Matthews and Nylander and bump Hyman down to play with Martin and Boyle?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
First of all Hyman LW, Kapanen RW.

So not likely he replaces Hyman at all.

Kapanen is most likely going on the Kadri line, to replace Brown, moving Brown down to the 4th line swapping out Smith.

Although they may start Kapanen on the 4th and make him work his way up to 2nd line duties.

There's a chance they demote Komarov and move Brown to the LW, but that's less likely IMO.

Babcock has clearly shown he likes a grindy forechecker on each line to disrupt opposing teams' breakouts and Komarov/Hyman are those guys.

Though Kapanen may be a more skilled version of those two, but I think Babs will want to get Kappy's feet wet before making any major line shakeups.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Right now he's an extra at practice, too much to ask to put him with Matthews and Nylander and bump Hyman down to play with Martin and Boyle?

You read my mind!!!!

I like the move... Let's see what Kapanen can do. Would love to see him with the team until the end of the season and in the playoffs if he proves to be worth keep up. Hopefully he proves to be a top 6 forward; makes dealing players like JVR, Bozak and Leo much easier.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
First of all Hyman LW, Kapanen RW.

So not likely he replaces Hyman at all.

Kapanen is most likely going on the Kadri line, to replace Brown, moving Brown down to the 4th line swapping out Smith.

Although they may start Kapanen on the 4th and make him work his way up to 2nd line duties.

There's a chance they demote Komarov and move Brown to the LW, but that's less likely IMO.

Babcock has clearly shown he likes a grindy forechecker on each line to disrupt opposing teams' breakouts and Komarov/Hyman are those guys.

Though Kapanen may be a more skilled version of those two, but I think Babs will want to get Kappy's feet wet before making any major line shakeups.

Kapanen can actually play LW.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think he has in a very very long time last I checked. I think he's much more comfortable and much better as a RW.

Hyman never played a shift on the LW before this season, whereas Kapanen has played a fair amount of LW in the past.

He might be better on RW but that's also true of Hyman.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
God damn if they called him up just to press box him that would be ridiculous.

Especially if Ben ****ing Smith plays.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think he has in a very very long time last I checked. I think he's much more comfortable and much better as a RW.

Nylander has played LW.

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen

Speed and skill galore.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hyman never played a shift on the LW before this season, whereas Kapanen has played a fair amount of LW in the past.

He might be better on RW but that's also true of Hyman.

I'm not saying he couldn't do it, it isn't overly hard to play either wing. It's probably the easiest transition of any position. I just don't think that's the kind of move you do at this point of the season.

I would easily do it, don't get me wrong, but I think it's safe to say Kapanen will start on the fourth and might make it up to Kadri's wing if he plays well while you demote Brown to play with Boyle and Martin.

They didn't call up Kapanen to sit him. He's very likely to play. Babcock does this a lot with his lines on a non-game day.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lines a day before the game aren't going to be accurate. Kapanen likely plays tomorrow in place for Ben Smith...why let the Panthers know what you're doing with your lines in advance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad