Seravalli: Kane's camp steadfast in belief a 40-50 M contract available in UFA - allowed to speak with teams

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

With 48 hours until the opening of free agency on Wednesday, the Edmonton Oilers and forward Evander Kane remain far apart on a contract extension to keep him in Oil Country.

Sources tell Daily Faceoff that the Kane camp, led by agent Dan Milstein of Gold Star Hockey, and the Oilers met on Sunday and made little progress in talks, which have been ongoing since Edmonton bowed out of the Western Conference final in May.

Kane’s camp is steadfast in their belief he can earn in the range of $40 to $50 million on the market this week in a new pact elsewhere on the market. The Oilers, meanwhile, do not appear willing to sign Kane to a long-term contract. It’s believed the Oilers have presented a series of a creative shorter-term options, recognizing he may be the best stylistic match available to skate on a line with Connor McDavid as a true finisher with size and an edge to his game. But there is a limit to their interest.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
images

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Good for Ken. Max 3 year contract as you never know when Kane is going to become problematic Kane again. I hope he has changed his way but it isn't worth the gamble.
They're obviously pointing at the hyman contract and saying, do better.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Wow, really can’t see teams lining up to give Kane that kind of term. Guy can play for sure but I think he still needs to prove he’s improved off the ice.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Holland should walk away and spend less on a combination of assets.

Kane's 30. Great run with McDavid and Draisaitl...who don't play for any other team other than the one Kane had said great run with...

...anyone remember the saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth"?

Kane and his agent obviously don't.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I know free agency is silly season in the NHL (and pro sports in general) but I just can’t see any GM giving Kane $40-50M.

$40M would be 5 (or 6) year term I’d think. I just can’t see a team giving Kane that type of term.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
AAV might be there but whose going to give him that term. Seems like a short term high AAV contract would be good for both sides.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Good player but man is he out of of touch asking for that kind of deal given his history

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What does a declining 33 or 34 year old Kane offer you? He’s certainly not a guy whose character, leadership, or 200 ft game is going to buoy his value when the wheels fall off and he’s a 50 point player making $8M+. 4 years is the absolute max anyone should give him, and it certainly shouldn’t be to the tune of $10M per.

Then again - Fletcher….

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
He better hire a money “Nanny” to dole out his weekly allowance or he’ll blow this contract away also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad