Kane vs. Laine

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Was thinking of this on St. Patrick's day, and of course never got around to posting it. So, a few days late, but in honour of St. Patty's Day, what Patty would you rather have? Patrick Kane or Patrik Laine?

Take into consideration contracts/potential future contracts, as well as each player's future. Who would you rather have?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They’re currently scoring at basically the same pace

I wouldn't put much stock in Kane's numbers this year. He basically started mailing it in when it was obvious the team wasn't going anywhere.

As for the poll, Kane is still the better player, but it's hard to make a case for him here with the age and cap hit difference unless a team is ready to contend now and has huge cap space

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Laine but this is extremely unfair comparing a 19 year old scorer to someone who is 10 years older.

Really only did it for the dumb reason of them having the same name. But, they are scoring at similar rates and Kane is a hugely dynamic player with Cups in his own right. And I can see the logic behind someone taking Kane (I don't agree with taking him but I can see why someone might choose him) And these two were way better options that Patrick Maroon or Patrick Sharp. Is there another Patrick I could have used instead? Nolan Patrick?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Right now? Laine.

But when you think about 19 year old Kane vs 19 year old Laine, without knowing anything about what Kane has achieved....I'd pick Laine.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I wouldn't put much stock in Kane's numbers this year. He basically started mailing it in when it was obvious the team wasn't going anywhere.

As for the poll, Kane is still the better player, but it's hard to make a case for him here with the age and cap hit difference unless a team is ready to contend now and has huge cap space

Kane is still probably the better player, but not by much. If I'd have to add one of the two in to my team competing for the cup next season, I'd have to think about it but I probably go with Kane. But other than that I think Laine has made a case for himself already. He might not possess the overall offensive ability Kane has but his goal-scoring is possibly the best in the league.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
If you take everthing into consideration, than the answer is easily Laine.
Obviously Kane had a great peak and career so far

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean a 20+ Laine should likely be better than a 30+ Kane going forward, especially since he currently is tied for the lead in goals and has as many points as Kane this season. He is only going to score more and more as he ages IMO until about 24 or so.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I would take Laine right now since he is younger but if both players were 18 and I knew what kind of player Kane would become, I would probably go with Kane.

They are close though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad