Confirmed with Link: Kane to Detroit

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
So another losing season and the players are OK with it. Got it. The bar is very low.

I'd argue that is the wrong signal for a GM to send but ya.......he has a long leash.
Wait what, this is my opinion not the players.

I mean do we not want the young players to step in or not? We want youth but don't want the struggles that can entail? Or do you wanna keep bubble hopes alive and rerun the same veteran ufa team?

Again these are my realistic expectation with the roster we have today and losing a lot of ufa points. Can that change with a trade or what he does at free agency? Sure.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So another losing season and the players are OK with it. Got it. The bar is very low.

I'd argue that is the wrong signal for a GM to send but ya.......he has a long leash.
What's the alternative? What does a "playoffs or else" directive from ownership actually accomplish? Changing GMs isn't going to get the team into the playoffs any faster. It doesn't help you win the lottery. Doesn't make bluechip kids demand to play only for the Wings. Doesn't make recent draftees develop any faster. It's like a kid throwing a tantrum because the car ride is taking as long as it takes. Without game-breakers falling into your lap, there are no shortcuts. You draft, you develop, you fill in holes as needed, you incrementally improve. The plan hasn't deviated.

Wait what, this is my opinion not the players.

I mean do we not want the young players to step in or not? We want youth but don't want the struggles that can entail? Or do you wanna keep bubble hopes alive and rerun the same veteran ufa team?

Again these are my realistic expectation with the roster we have today and losing a lot of ufa points. Can that change with a trade or what he does at free agency? Sure.
I think there is a bit of a fallacy involved here. Incredibly pervasive with GMs/coaches. Youth doesn't necessarily equate struggles. There needs to be a balance. Buffalo is one extreme. The Red Wings of '23-'24 was the other (fewest games played by qualified rookies).

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Without game-breakers falling into your lap, there are no shortcuts.

I think its safe to call Kane a game breaker. And ya he fell into their lap. And apparently he is gone cuz SY isn't going to pay him. But I agree the roster isn't there for Kane's 3 year time frame. I'd actually bet the Wings don't make the playoffs for the next 3 years. A losing culture feeds itself.

I also doubt SY gave him a serious offer to extend. So back to mediocrity it is lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think its safe to call Kane a game breaker. And ya he fell into their lap. And apparently he is gone cuz SY isn't going to pay him. But I agree the roster isn't there for Kane's 3 year time frame. I'd actually bet the Wings don't make the playoffs for the next 3 years. A losing culture feeds itself.

I also doubt SY gave him a serious offer to extend. So back to mediocrity it is lol.
10 years ago maybe.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If the team stays healthy and misses the playoffs next year I want Lalonde fired. You don't sign that many guys last year to then take a big step back.

I expect an active summer and a better roster in October than in April, with the addition of both new youth and new veterans.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Depends what the roster looks like. If there's a bunch of kids I'm going to prolly care about how they finish than where they finish, if that makes sense.
Another late season collapse like the past two seasons. * Ha I kid.

I think it's crappy we're priming ourselves up for a rough two/three months to start the season next year already and will rationalize/back it up as ok as long as they play better the 2nd half of the year with young players. I understand it, but I think it's a junk sell for fans.

I'm not ready to watch another TDL watching Wings sell or not add/no moves. :(

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So the 7 game winners in half a season didn't mean anything lol. The guy just wins games cuz he is crazy clutch.
Most of them? Not really, no. Would have been nice had we had a better winning percentage with him than without. C'est la vie...

Hitching your wagon to a 35yo is not ideal. If we had a 2nd Larkin and a Ray that played LW to carry him around on the 2nd line, sure. But he's not worth the money he's asking for.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Kane is looking for his last big payday knowing he’s on borrowed time with that hip. I expect he will take the most guaranteed money offered and run with it. Likely 3 years. Detroit isn’t out of the running technically, but it seems unlikely they can pony up the cash and term some other desperate team will.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The team had a lot of strong play without Kane, they need to get better defensively and honestly that's not Kane at all.
We were 3rd most scoring team in the league and we were in the playoffs spot.
If the team stays healthy and misses the playoffs next year I want Lalonde fired. You don't sign that many guys last year to then take a big step back.

I expect an active summer and a better roster in October than in April, with the addition of both new youth and new veterans.
Yzerman can add one big name to the team. Vrana, Kane and Perron gives him 10 millions.
So the 7 game winners in half a season didn't mean anything lol. The guy just wins games cuz he is crazy clutch.
He looked great vs Chicago and the other bad teams, but was invisible vs good teams.
Everyone's acting like the offense wasn't top 5 in the league before we signed Kane. Larkin, Raymond, and DeBrincat don't exist I guess?
I think we were top 3 until December.

I think Ed and Berggren are penciled in. I expect AlJo to get regular minutes. And I think there is a fair chance Danielson makes the jump. They can all look good for stretches, but I think the ability to consistently deliver every night won't be there right off the bat.
Soderblom might be ready or out of options.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings were 2nd in the league in goals when Kane joined and finished 9th even though he was 2nd only to Raymond in points on the team and 2nd only to Larkin in points per game on the team in the more than half a season after he joined

it's almost like things like Fabbri putting up 8 goals in 12 games or Compher putting up 19 points in 24 games before Kane joined weren't sustainable or something

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
the Wings were 2nd in the league in goals when Kane joined and finished 9th even though he was 2nd only to Raymond in points on the team and 2nd only to Larkin in points per game on the team in the more than half a season after he joined

it's almost like things like Fabbri putting up 8 goals in 12 games or Compher putting up 19 points in 24 games before Kane joined weren't sustainable or something
Megastar effect on mediocre team. If Yzerman not resign him it was a big mistake to bring him in the first place. Similar effect EK65 had on Sharks .
Like I said before , put him on the same line with Kasper and Danielson, like D&Z were with Holl

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

“Game Breaker” - maybe, but he’s not what he used to be.

“SY isn’t going to pay him” - we’ll see since nothing is officially announced.

“Losing culture” - unfortunately it takes time to rebuild if you aren’t blessed by the lottery Gods.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Before we're all conditioned to the "setback" mentality of being ok next year, how big of a step back is acceptable?

I mean if they pull something like 75 points, people are fine. Nothing to worry about?

If they get 75 pts, but 3-4 GR/junior guys are playing and looking to get better, I would be ok with that. What I don't want is vets leading the charge like this year and maybe we make the playoffs and maybe we don't. If we did what we did this year, but Ed was up all year and 1-2 other non Raymond/Seider kids were among the main contributors I would have liked this season much better than what we got. Really wasn't that excited by us this year as we while the record was decent for a good bit, we really didn't play that well in over half our games and it was middling players doing most of the heavy lifting, aside from Mo and Ray.

I think the Devils season got skunked by the Hamilton and Hughes injuries moreso than goaltending..

Nah, if they gave up even 25 fewer goals, they would have likely made the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Who said the players are ok with it? Never head of any player, even on the worst teams in the league that was ok with losing games.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Or maybe DeBrincat’s fast start. He slowed waaaay down and really we need him to be better next year.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
It was nice to watch a franchise level talent play again for our team. That type of talent we haven't seen since Datsyuk and Z were anchoring the club.

He would be nice to have but gonna have to git rid of both Fabbri and Sprong along with adding a power forward.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

How did we take a step back?

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The hypothetical scenario of missing the playoffs this season would be taking a step back. Because a healthy roster should be better next year than this year, not stagnant or worse.

You're either growing, truly contending, or withering. Detroit's years of awful records and top ten picks are over, so I view anything other than growth as a disappointment.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If they get 75 pts, but 3-4 GR/junior guys are playing and looking to get better, I would be ok with that. What I don't want is vets leading the charge like this year and maybe we make the playoffs and maybe we don't. If we did what we did this year, but Ed was up all year and 1-2 other non Raymond/Seider kids were among the main contributors I would have liked this season much better than what we got. Really wasn't that excited by us this year as we while the record was decent for a good bit, we really didn't play that well in over half our games and it was middling players doing most of the heavy lifting, aside from Mo and Ray.

Nah, if they gave up even 25 fewer goals, they would have likely made the playoffs.

Oh wow captain hindsight... This was the most exciting year as a Red Wings fan since like 2010.

Video game mentality has totally killed the joy of actually watching games an enjoying wins!

Tell me you stat watch and play hockey on Xbox/PlayStation without really saying it. I'm actually going to block you, that opinion is terrible.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well, Wings haven't yet, but most people who REALLY support Yzerman and everything he does... are prepping this forum for it mentally.

Of course, people can understand it to an extent, 91 points to 85 points isn't a true set-back imo, but I guess I'm asking where the line is actually drawn at... Apparently, it's not even a number. Obviously if injuries plague the team that different too but what, a healthy team with young players playing(average) and the team ends up around 75 points, I'm pissed. The Rebuild, imo, wouldn't be heading in the right direction, it'd be stalled out hoping for a lucky star/super star in the draft.

Most people that didn't want to make a move at the TDL are doubling down now and acting like a step back, is normal and acceptable without a draft/signing/ made yet. It's been implanted since the Lalonde comments really and reasoning at the TDL for no moves( quality young players in the AHL players). It's amazing the leash Yzerman has through his own prestige, media, ownership. It's one of the most secure jobs in sports right now, I think. Zero expectations with constant praise. I don't personally want him fired or anything but I'm not sure this guy will ever be on the "hot-seat" till... 2027, maybe 2028.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad