Confirmed with Link: Kane to Detroit

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think it is mostly about term for Kane. He probably wants 3 years.
I think it's mostly about term for both Kane and Stevie Y and neither will be willing to budge. No burned bridges, just reality of both situations.

Kane wants to cash in on a last contract after proving he still has "it" and Yzerman won't want to commit a high cap number on an over 35 contract of 3 years.

Reactions: norrisnick

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
It does not. It's highly unlikely the goal is "make the playoffs next season or else." The goal is to put together a team that competes for several seasons.

They have a team that competes for several seasons already. They don't have a team that competes in the playoffs for several seasons. And they are a long way away from it when you take Kane off the team.

But ya I agree with you that he wouldn't get fired which really brings up an accountability issue within the Ilitch country club. And ya SY also knows he won't be fired. So bring on another year of futility. Why not ?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I sincerely hope that this is only one of several goals, including to win one or more Stanley Cups. I understand that nobody can guarantee a championship, and that statistically most teams don't win one. But there's also a clear distinction in roster building, once you reach a window of actual contending: you either remain conservative to prioritize sustaining your window, or you get aggressive to prioritize "win now".

To be clear, Detroit has not reached this stage yet. And I'm not saying that Yzerman will necessarily opt for a longer playoff streak as a 7/10 team instead of risking a shorter window to try to be a 9/10 or 10/10 team. Just that, if you're going to take your time rebuilding to"get it right" then when the time is right, don't stop at just being squarely in the top half of the league.

From what I gather from Yzerman I took it to mean a team that can go on long playoff and compete for the Cup for more than one season. A distinction from breaking the bank to load up for one season knowing the team would be decimated the next.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
They have a team that competes for several seasons already. They don't have a team that competes in the playoffs for several seasons. And they are a long way away from it when you take Kane off the team.

But ya I agree with you that he wouldn't get fired which really brings up an accountability issue within the Ilitch country club. And ya SY also knows he won't be fired. So bring on another year of futility. Why not ?

He shouldn’t be fired. The team, holistically, is light-years improved from what Kenny left him.

Like top to bottom, it is a far better managed organization.

I just look at it… I know Yzerman’s history of creating a winner…. If I fire him, what am I doing? Hiring Pete Chiarelli?

I move on from Yzerman if I think I can upgrade. I honestly don’t see any option on the market for GMs that will make the Wings better currently or in the short run. So, why exactly am I looking to put him on a hot seat?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

As I said above, gathering from what Yzerman has said I take it to mean he wants to build a team that can compete for the Cup for multiple seasons. Not a "let's make the playoffs and anything can happen" philosophy.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I sincerely hope that this is only one of several goals, including to win one or more Stanley Cups. I understand that nobody can guarantee a championship, and that statistically most teams don't win one. But there's also a clear distinction in roster building, once you reach a window of actual contending: you either remain conservative to prioritize sustaining your window, or you get aggressive to prioritize "win now".

To be clear, Detroit has not reached this stage yet. And I'm not saying that Yzerman will necessarily opt for a longer playoff streak as a 7/10 team instead of risking a shorter window to try to be a 9/10 or 10/10 team. Just that, if you're going to take your time rebuilding to"get it right" then when the time is right, don't stop at just being squarely in the top half of the league.

This is the first year that felt like they SHOULD have made the playoffs but didn't.

Do I want Yzerman fired? Hell no. But I think it's reasonable to expect this roster to have finished the job better than they did, and he (and the players and the coaches) deserve at least a little heat.

Deserve a little heat? Sure. They probably should have added at the TDL, but honestly, Larkin doesn’t go down for two-three weeks right at the deadline after the Wings had just finished their February heater, they probably add. And once the Wings go into a 5 in 20 swoon, what exactly do you want Yzerman to do? The team he built pushed out to a 9 point lead in the wildcard.

But honestly, I just abhor the “this should have happened by now” in sports as a reason to consider firing a guy. He doesn’t get unlimited time… but if you have eyes you see the Wings are improved and they still have roster flexibility to keep improving.

The Wings take a noticeable step backwards? I’m on board complaining. But they’ve consistently been improving at the NHL and minor league levels.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wasn't it Armstrong recently that nearly broke down because if he were to be fired or die he didn't believe he left the Blues in a better place than when he took over. Yzerman shouldn't have that concern hanging over him right now.

Reactions: Winger98

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ya get the sense that talks between Kane's agent and SY have not gone well and the bridge has burned. And that is going to leave a very big hole in the roster.

Not sure what the odds of the Wings making the playoffs next year are but it likely ain't happening either. Does that get SY fired is the question.

I don't think there even is anything performance related Yzerman can do to get fired anytime soon

that's not even meant a positive or negative statement(it can be either or even both depending on how you want to look at it) so much as the reality of having Steve Yzerman as the Red Wings GM, especially while Marian Ilitch is still alive

do note I said performance related though, if he like got arrested or something he would of course probably still get fired

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Deserve a little heat? Sure. They probably should have added at the TDL, but honestly, Larkin doesn’t go down for two-three weeks right at the deadline after the Wings had just finished their February heater, they probably add. And once the Wings go into a 5 in 20 swoon, what exactly do you want Yzerman to do? The team he built pushed out to a 9 point lead in the wildcard.

But honestly, I just abhor the “this should have happened by now” in sports as a reason to consider firing a guy. He doesn’t get unlimited time… but if you have eyes you see the Wings are improved and they still have roster flexibility to keep improving.

The Wings take a noticeable step backwards? I’m on board complaining. But they’ve consistently been improving at the NHL and minor league levels.
All I'm asking is that the bar gets higher each year until you've built a team that can reasonably contend for a championship. When you miss the playoffs by one point, next year you build to be better, coach to be better, play better, and expect to be better. So barring multiple guys missing half the season, anything short of making the playoffs next year should be seen as a disappointment.

It's not a magic number in years. Just (like you said) only move forward.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Why are people so hot to trot to get Yzerman fired? He could definitely have bought to make the playoffs this year at the deadline but he didn’t.

Like good lord, people are f***in trigger happy to get their pound of flesh. From the gm and from the coach.

Steve Yzerman is the exact same GM that built the Tampa team that was the best in the league.

And I’ll be honest, I don’t think any talks have happened between Kane’s camp and Yzerman’s camp since the season ended
Most of the conversation on the main boards has centered around individual perceptions on an acceptable time frame for a rebuild. The majority of non Wing fans seem to either think; the prospect pool is too weak, the signings have been atrocious, the rebuild time frame too long, or a combination of them all. Therefore there is a contingent of individuals suggesting Yzerman should be fired, or the seat is at least very warm.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't want Kane back. I think Yzerman should go after someone who is better and younger.

I'm expecting some regression next season, especially if we start the year with three or four rookies starting every night.
Which 3? 4? Edvidsson looked ready, very ready. He had one terrible game, but the rest was very good.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't want Kane back. I think Yzerman should go after someone who is better and younger.

Which 3? 4? Edvidsson looked ready, very ready. He had one terrible game, but the rest was very good.
I think Ed and Berggren are penciled in. I expect AlJo to get regular minutes. And I think there is a fair chance Danielson makes the jump. They can all look good for stretches, but I think the ability to consistently deliver every night won't be there right off the bat.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I'm expecting some regression next season, especially if we start the year with three or four rookies starting every night.
If they start the season with 3/4 GR grads, maybe a bit at the start of the year, but anyone fairly ready should adapt pretty quick I would think, 3 most likely are JB, Ed and AlJo, so I think a 4th could be sheltered a little.

Reactions: Winger98

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Before we're all conditioned to the "setback" mentality of being ok next year, how big of a step back is acceptable?

I mean if they pull something like 75 points, people are fine. Nothing to worry about?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Before we're all conditioned to the "setback" mentality of being ok next year, how big of a step back is acceptable?

I mean if they pull something like 75 points, people are fine. Nothing to worry about?
Depends what the roster looks like. If there's a bunch of kids I'm going to prolly care about how they finish than where they finish, if that makes sense.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

I would like to see the starting roster first, but I would not expect that large of a step back without multiple major injuries occurring to some key players, despite the division likely getting a lot tighter next year.

I am not sure we should expect another sizeable step forward like this year with 3/4 GR grads being added to the team, that said, 1 of them is not really a rookie (JB) and 1 (Ed) played out the end the of season on the wings, so adding in 2 real rookies (Al-Jo and a forward) may not be an issue, but any new forward has to get past Czarnik or whatever cheap plug SY can get off FA.

If they can find a consistent defensive game and still score some goals, they may still compete for a spot 24/25, but I expect another fringe year before they start moving past past fringe. (Expect another couple rookies 25/26, but then the main parts should be up, playing and growing together)

25/26 all the current vet plugs are done, if not gone earlier (I suspect he will try to move a few this summer if he can).

SY will be evaluating everyone hard next year, Newsy contract year and many vets ready for heaving, let's hope he doesn't feel the need for more plugs, but you never know with SY, we might get a few pleasant surprises this summer.

Even if there is a little regression, it might open the door to heave a few vets at the Trade Deadline, some late year fresh faces from GR might push them harder.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

If we finish bottom 10 next season w/o a combined minimum 40 man games lost to Larkin, Seider or Raymond then to me thats bad...

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018

Great question. How low is the bar ? Posters here seem to very patient.

However ya gotta think losing Kane will not go over well with Larkin and any other player whose chances of winning are ticking away. SY seems to have job security longer than Larkin's career lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Ed and Berggren are penciled in. I expect AlJo to get regular minutes. And I think there is a fair chance Danielson makes the jump. They can all look good for stretches, but I think the ability to consistently deliver every night won't be there right off the bat.
I mean... none of them are stepping into roles that were held by "consistently delivering" veterans. Not sure why inconsistency is this great sin when exhibited by a rookie but par for the course when it's a veteran.

Reactions: Realgud and NickH8

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It's hard to say how much of a regression without seeing the full summer play out just yet. If they were bottom 10 with 80-90 pts I wouldn't flip out.

What if the team is playing fine but none of the goalies get hot at all the entire season? That could easily tank a season. Just ask the Devils. So many scenarios that I would understand them not having a great season but also not filled with rage.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's hard to say how much of a regression without seeing the full summer play out just yet. If they were bottom 10 with 80-90 pts I wouldn't flip out.

What if the team is playing fine but none of the goalies get hot at all the entire season? That could easily tank a season. Just ask the Devils. So many scenarios that I would understand them not having a great season but also not filled with rage.
I think the Devils season got skunked by the Hamilton and Hughes injuries moreso than goaltending..

Reactions: RRhoads

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
So many scenarios that I would understand them not having a great season but also not filled with rage.

So another losing season and the players are OK with it. Got it. The bar is very low.

I'd argue that is the wrong signal for a GM to send but ya.......he has a long leash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad